How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Lizzy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:41 am

Mugginess out the ying yang this morning, which would have been awful if not for the gentle drizzle for the duration. Only had a t-shirt & shorts on but the evaporative effect was optimal. Tagged along briefly with the over 55s group, my still fairly new brake pads kept squealing like little bitches in the wet though, bit embarrassing!
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
User avatar
Lizzy
 
Posts: 574
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:04 pm
Location: Wild West

by BNA » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:32 pm

BNA
 

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby J-Tim » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:32 pm

Lovely ride in this morning, but it seems that it'll be another battle against headwind on the way back again.
Image
User avatar
J-Tim
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:36 pm

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby bychosis » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:35 pm

Trip home this arvo decided to see if the tailwind would help me get a decent time on the extended commute. Cruised down to the start of the Strava segment then upped the pace. Tailwind was useful about 60% of the way was doing fine towards the end I figured I had a decent time so backed off for the last 100m or so. Checked the times when I got home figuring I had a PB, but ended up with a shared KOM. Wish I hadn't backed off ... 1 second less ... Gggrrrr.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
User avatar
bychosis
 
Posts: 1996
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:34 pm

bychosis wrote:Trip home this arvo decided to see if the tailwind would help me get a decent time on the extended commute. Cruised down to the start of the Strava segment then upped the pace. Tailwind was useful about 60% of the way was doing fine towards the end I figured I had a decent time so backed off for the last 100m or so. Checked the times when I got home figuring I had a PB, but ended up with a shared KOM. Wish I hadn't backed off ... 1 second less ... Gggrrrr.


tail wind and you backed off? lesson learnt
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5586
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Comedian » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:39 pm

I found this afternoon harder than yesterday. Blusterly, hot, and dusty. :(

At least the company was nice. :)
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Image
User avatar
Comedian
 
Posts: 4401
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby bychosis » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:11 pm

jasonc wrote:
bychosis wrote:Trip home this arvo decided to see if the tailwind would help me get a decent time on the extended commute. Cruised down to the start of the Strava segment then upped the pace. Tailwind was useful about 60% of the way was doing fine towards the end I figured I had a decent time so backed off for the last 100m or so. Checked the times when I got home figuring I had a PB, but ended up with a shared KOM. Wish I hadn't backed off ... 1 second less ... Gggrrrr.


tail wind and you backed off? lesson learnt


Yup, had no idea it was going to be KOM didn't think I pushed enough. Don't often get tailwinds in the arvo so opportunity lost, lesson learned.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
User avatar
bychosis
 
Posts: 1996
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:20 pm

The was so dry (9% humidity, 33 celcius, dew point -2 degrees) sweat was vaporised before it even got out of my pores :)

Caught an odd camera frame rate effect on the way to work:
Image
User avatar
InTheWoods
 
Posts: 1376
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:34 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby marinmomma » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:41 pm

Comedian wrote:I found this afternoon harder than yesterday. Blusterly, hot, and dusty. :(

At least the company was nice. :)


Thanks for showing me the north side commute run...I had a great tailwind out to the track!
Acheived a QOM for a segment as well...despite a 15 min stop for a chat!
Next week there will be no stopping to chat...will try to improve my time on the segment!

Seriously, there can't be too many females commuting on the north side if I can get a QOM :wink:

Shocking conditions for the crit race though!
Lisa
marinmomma
 
Posts: 1986
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:12 pm
Location: Southside Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby gretaboy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:12 am

Had a shocker yesterday arvo.

Left work nearly 50 minutes later than normal...had to pick the daughter up from swimming. If I had left at normal time not an issue, leaving late meant I had to work hard all the way home. Seemed mother nature wanted to work against me for the majority of the time.....strong headwinds

Throw in an idiot P plater and his mate who thought it funny to try and scare me. You can see on the footage that they purposefully move across the lane to get as close as possible to me. The speed limit here is 80 km/h. When I slow the footage down you can clearly see the passenger laughing. (yet to work out how to edit/save in slow motion)

http://youtu.be/13m2W_EXpBM
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1181
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jules21 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:10 am

let us know how you go with the complaint greta.

i had to change bikes this morning when i realised the disc pad spring clip was dragging on the rotor - that usually means the pad has worn enough that the clip won't hook around it anymore :)

anyway, riding off to work on the roadie, i was having trouble clipping in. it took me a couple of minutes to figure out i was still wearing my SPD shoes :roll:
Image
User avatar
jules21
 
Posts: 8535
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: deep in the pain cave

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:21 am

jules21 wrote:let us know how you go with the complaint greta.

i had to change bikes this morning when i realised the disc pad spring clip was dragging on the rotor - that usually means the pad has worn enough that the clip won't hook around it anymore :)

anyway, riding off to work on the roadie, i was having trouble clipping in. it took me a couple of minutes to figure out i was still wearing my SPD shoes :roll:


I think that belongs in a different thread.... :lol:
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5586
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jules21 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:26 am

jasonc wrote:I think that belongs in a different thread.... :lol:

if i posted everything in the right thread, i'd never leave it :)
Image
User avatar
jules21
 
Posts: 8535
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: deep in the pain cave

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TailWind » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:31 am

Multi-hop commute back yesterday afternoon. Pleasant enough ride, though the Melbourne weather was more reminiscent of a mild winter's day.
Cool start again this morning, with a SW headwind and light rain and drizzle for most of the way in.
Riding along the path alongside the Ring Road heading towards Thomastown, my olfactory senses were assailed by a rotting smell. Light picked up a dead roo on the path - must have been tossed over the guardrails/fence from the freeway which at that point is only a few meters away.
A little further along, I came across a live one in the middle of the path, and, as on a previous occasion, it hopped ahead of me on the path for about 50m before veering off towards a stand of trees on the right.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
User avatar
TailWind
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:02 pm
Location: Mill Park, Melbourne

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby gretaboy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:06 am

Tailwind - congrats on getting 13k in commuting by the way...big effort
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1181
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TailWind » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:29 pm

gretaboy wrote:Tailwind - congrats on getting 13k in commuting by the way...big effort

Thanks gretaboy, you're clocking up some mind-boggling commute mileage yourself!
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
User avatar
TailWind
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:02 pm
Location: Mill Park, Melbourne

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Comedian » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:49 pm

Nice little commute in via Redcliffe this morning. Only thing was the wind were shuffling those c50's about. :o
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Image
User avatar
Comedian
 
Posts: 4401
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TailWind » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:03 am

Good ride back via MYT/Banyule Trail. Decided to try The Boulevard, which runs alongside the gravel section of the MYT towards the Yarra Flats park.
The road surface is a patchwork of, err, well, patches, and is barely rideable. Certainly took longer than blasting along the gravel trail....
Commute into the Melbourne CBD was without incident, although the dead roo is still on the path along the Ring Road :( . It's pretty fragrant now, and I guess there will be quite a few cyclists/joggers/walkers gagging as they pass that spot.
Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
User avatar
TailWind
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:02 pm
Location: Mill Park, Melbourne

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jules21 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:37 am

that boulevarde has always been like that, not sure why..

i had to ride one-handed this morning after i jammed a finger playing basketball last night, it is too painful to hold onto the bars over bumps.
Image
User avatar
jules21
 
Posts: 8535
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: deep in the pain cave

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Comedian » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:52 am

Off road commute via the single trails of gap creek this morning. Got a heap of off road PR's. Noice! :mrgreen:
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Image
User avatar
Comedian
 
Posts: 4401
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby higdawg » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:56 am

Crazy wind decided to be going in the wrong direction today. Had some good headwind resistance training going for most of my ride.
higdawg
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:55 pm
Location: Baldivis, WA

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:04 am

grrr
rode the fuji in and it's been raining
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5586
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby dino1969 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:34 am

Well it has taken me two years of solid commuting to finally achieve my first 30km/hr average! :oops: I have come close a few times but never cracked the nut!Today's ride was great and i must say the conditions were good, however i was also riding into a headwind at times; lots of riders out enjoying the morning! Amazingly after a long week at work and 270km of commuting i found i had some leg power available to crack this average! :D Thank you everyone for your inspiration during the year! :P Tomorrow i hope to crack another of my goals and reach the 10000km mark!
User avatar
dino1969
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:41 am

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TailWind » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:26 pm

dino1969 wrote:Well it has taken me two years of solid commuting to finally achieve my first 30km/hr average! :oops: I have come close a few times but never cracked the nut!Today's ride was great and i must say the conditions were good, however i was also riding into a headwind at times; lots of riders out enjoying the morning! Amazingly after a long week at work and 270km of commuting i found i had some leg power available to crack this average! :D Thank you everyone for your inspiration during the year! :P Tomorrow i hope to crack another of my goals and reach the 10000km mark!

Well done! And with that sort of mileage, you should join the Commuting Challenge for next year.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
User avatar
TailWind
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:02 pm
Location: Mill Park, Melbourne

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:43 pm

TailWind wrote:
dino1969 wrote:Well it has taken me two years of solid commuting to finally achieve my first 30km/hr average! :oops: I have come close a few times but never cracked the nut!Today's ride was great and i must say the conditions were good, however i was also riding into a headwind at times; lots of riders out enjoying the morning! Amazingly after a long week at work and 270km of commuting i found i had some leg power available to crack this average! :D Thank you everyone for your inspiration during the year! :P Tomorrow i hope to crack another of my goals and reach the 10000km mark!

Well done! And with that sort of mileage, you should join the Commuting Challenge for next year.


great. so i'll come 5th instead of 4th next year...
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5586
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TailWind » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:12 pm

jasonc wrote:great. so i'll come 5th instead of 4th next year...

Once your physio tunes you up, you'll be right up there, judging by your pre-injury performance :wink:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
User avatar
TailWind
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:02 pm
Location: Mill Park, Melbourne

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jasonc



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU



InTouch with BNA
“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter