Living with a velomobile

mozart

Re: Living with a velomobile

Postby mozart » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:36 pm

Just a update on my new Mango tour, link first photo of my Mango taken by Sinner bikeshttp://www.mozart-engine.com/my-other-p ... trike.html

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:24 pm

mozart wrote:Just a update on my new Mango tour, link first photo of my Mango taken by Sinner bikeshttp://www.mozart-engine.com/my-other-p ... trike.html
Looks like it won't be long now. Bet you can't wait.
It looks really great. Nice to see a change from the RE Mango.

John

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:37 pm

I am sure you ask them to paint it red & white ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:18 pm

NuVinci hub and dynamo !!!!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:27 pm

Why the Nuvinci and not a Rohloff?

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall the Nuvinci is a good bit heavier, narrower range and lower efficiency than a Rohloff. A big price to pay for a step-less gear shift.
Last edited by il padrone on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Bartek

Postby Bartek » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:28 pm

mozart wrote:Just a update on my new Mango tour, link first photo of my Mango taken by Sinner bikeshttp://www.mozart-engine.com/my-other-p ... trike.html
looks great it's nice to be different! Now the all important question when did you order/pay your deposit??????????
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:55 pm

Bartek wrote:
looks great it's nice to be different! Now the all important question when did you order/pay your deposit??????????
Yes. Mine took a record seven months from deposit to delivery. Hopefully things have improved since then.

John

mozart

Postby mozart » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:10 am

John Lewis wrote:
Bartek wrote:
Yes. Mine took a record seven months from deposit to delivery. Hopefully things have improved since then.

John
I ordered the mango on 21 August then paid the deposit on 27 August . I look into the the gearing rohloff the reason was price as well I spoke to Arjen on the phone we discuss that what would suit me better and he recommend NuVinci at time, I have read that NuVinci are heavier then Ruhloff , I will fine out between the two, I have Ruhloff on HP Velotechnik Scorpion FS

James

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:47 am

James,

Be careful....Arjen was mostly hopeless.....

I would have another chat with Sinner and talk to someone else......most of the things Arjen touched turned a bit brown and smelly......wrong things sent, wrong tyres fitted, gears missing.......the 'new' Sinner team are a lot better now !!

You might get a different recommendation now, if you knwo what I mean :wink:

mozart

Postby mozart » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:09 am

Riggsbie wrote:James,

Be careful....Arjen was mostly hopeless.....

I would have another chat with Sinner and talk to someone else......most of the things Arjen touched turned a bit brown and smelly......wrong things sent, wrong tyres fitted, gears missing.......the 'new' Sinner team are a lot better now !!

You might get a different recommendation now, if you knwo what I mean :wink:
Thank you for your advice it maybe just be too late now it just about to leave to come to Australia, if I not happy NuVinci I may have to do little bit to it my self to upgrade to rohloff

James

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:32 pm

No comments on the helmet please :oops:

I got a chance to take the one and only Sinner Mango Red Edition currently in Western Australia for a little ride this week (a big shout out to John Lewis who went to a lot of trouble to adjust it to suit me) and I had a bit of a mixed reaction to it.

It should be noted that I am not a recumbent rider so other than a very quick ride of a Catrike Villager I haven't ever ridden a recumbent period.

Given my initial reaction John suggest that I ask around to see what others initial reactions to riding a velomobile was; particularly those who like myself have had no experience with same. I am wondering I guess if others also had a mixed reaction initially and then found they grew on them.

I know that I don't have recumbent legs, that I was not smooth and accelerated to fast and that without a set of shoulder pads to suit me I was rocking around a bit. So I need to take that into consideration. Oh I also need to get a lot more flexible/loose weight. I could get in okay, but getting out was not graceful to say the least :oops: .

Hopefully I have framed this post in a way that it make some sort of sense.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:58 pm

Looking good Andrew

Yep getting fitted to it can take a bit of time. There is a knack to getting out of it and I found it was more leg pushing for me than anything as my flexibility is quite poor as well.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:07 am

Good to have you down Andrew and to catch up for the first time.

Yes I probably should have moved the seat back a bit further too looking at the photo. That would have made the tiller less cramped and you would have been closer to the pads.

Don't worry about the wobbling side to side. It was part pedal steer. Common for newcomers to bents and partly getting used to the sensitivity of the mango. As I mentioned, I was all over the road at first but today I was as steady as a rock. Well almost.

Andrew was the first to test my new lower gearing too. I only did that myself today. It feels quite different from the standard gearing.

I might add he was getting along at a good clip a lot of the time and The only reason I stayed with him was I was riding the electric bike. My old Giant Comfort Bike with an Avanti Electra front wheel.

One thing I notice that you don't seem to be going very fast in the velo then you look at the computer and find you are getting along much faster than you thought.

John

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:21 am

Andrew

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:20 pm

Strange beast. It seems to be a short wheelbase delta.
The geodesic construction would be fun to do. There was an ultralight aeroplane done like that years ago. Very light and strong.
Maybe you could build one of these. :D
http://www.instructables.com/id/Facet-V1-Velomobile/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:55 pm

Meant to have included this link earlier on ... more on the Mosquito.

They are aiming for a sub-20 kg weight.

Andrew
Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:19 pm

Don't think I'd be comfortable with the front wheel in that mosquito being between the legs and oh so close to other parts. Wheels pick up things and fling them around ouchies no thanks. And spokes can snap as well
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:19 pm

Looking at the pictures it is rear wheel steering or perhaps lean steering.

John

edit. Animated diagram about halfway down this page and subsequent posts.

http://velorizontal.bbfr.net/t8520-mosquito-velomobiles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:52 pm

From Sinner Bikes Facebook page ...

Might have to add them to the options list :)

Andrew
Andrew

Bartek

Postby Bartek » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:27 pm

I did post and ask them if they were being fitted as standard, but they replied no, they are an optional extra. I don't think they mentioned how much!
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:02 pm

Bartek wrote:I did post and ask them if they were being fitted as standard, but they replied no, they are an optional extra. I don't think they mentioned how much!
It looks like Mozart is getting them :) I think the price is € 68.

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:04 pm

I am assuming this will be a mid-drive mounted dynamo hub. Is it a SON dynamo? Maybe the first they have done this way?

Andrew
Andrew

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:37 pm

Very very shiny wheel covers !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mozart

Postby mozart » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:54 pm

Aushiker wrote:
I am assuming this will be a mid-drive mounted dynamo hub. Is it a SON dynamo? Maybe the first they have done this way?

Andrew
I don't know it's the first one , my mango has been in the last couple of sinner YouTube videos Showing mid-drive mounted dynamo hub

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:55 pm

Aushiker wrote: No comments on the helmet please :oops:
Trying very hard to refrain ....
Aushiker wrote: I know that I don't have recumbent legs, that I was not smooth and accelerated to fast and that without a set of shoulder pads to suit me I was rocking around a bit. So I need to take that into consideration. Oh I also need to get a lot more flexible/loose weight. I could get in okay, but getting out was not graceful to say the least :oops: .
A couple of extra things I thought of too that may have effected your experience in John's mango:
1. Sinner have 2 sizes of seats, for those roughly over and under 180cms.
2. sinner stiffen up the front springs for those over 85kgs, to reduce body rock during pedalling, cornering etc.

It took me many weeks before I was completely happy with my setup. Even now after 4.5 months I may try moving the pedals further away from me (during the Xmas holidays) just to see what its like.

I think it took me the best part of 3 to 4 months for my legs to adapt but maybe that was slowed by having the pedals too close for about the first 6 weeks.

My commute times are still coming down although starting to level out now.