Post crash helmet replacement?

CaptainSlow

Post crash helmet replacement?

Postby CaptainSlow » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:38 pm

Hi All,

I had a rather unpleasant incident this morning that resulted in me getting to know the tarmac very well. The chain popped off on my s/s (most likely my fault for not putting enough tension on it) as I was out of the saddle beginning to go around a short uphill corner, and the momentum from standing and pushing hard threw me over the front and onto the road. My wrists and shoulder absorbed the bulk of the impact but I also came down pretty hard on the side of my helmet. My head is fine now, but I'm not too sure about the helmet..

So, as the subject suggests, should I be replacing it? It's less than six months old and of a decent quality (Met brand). The only noticeable damage is a few scratches but it's got me concerned. Given it's protecting my only head, I'll likely err on the side of caution but wanted to check the norm here..

Any advice appreciated.

m@

Re: Post crash helmet replacement?

Postby m@ » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:48 pm

Yes, definitely. Kali helmets are getting some good reviews and seem good value.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

CaptainSlow

Postby CaptainSlow » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:29 pm

Thanks - confirmed what I was already thinking.

Thanks for the link too, I'll check them out.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:33 pm

Do Met have a crash replacement policy?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:12 am

Yes, they do.... in selected countries.
Crash replacement service

If your MET helmet is damaged in a bicycle accident within two years from the original date of purchase, MET proposes to replace it at a reduced cost. To receive advice of the exact cost of a new replacement helmet, contact the MET distributor in your country**. Send the distributor the damaged helmet, postage paid, with an original and dated proof of purchase, a cheque for the amount requested for the replacement and a letter describing the accident. The damaged helmet will be replaced with the nearest model in price, size and color available in the current product line.

*This service is not available in all countries.
Jetblack Products - http://www.jetblackproducts.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - is listed as the Australian distributor.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

CaptainSlow

Postby CaptainSlow » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:53 am

Thanks both - hadn't thought of that and will look into it.