How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

bychosis

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby bychosis » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:35 pm

Trip home this arvo decided to see if the tailwind would help me get a decent time on the extended commute. Cruised down to the start of the Strava segment then upped the pace. Tailwind was useful about 60% of the way was doing fine towards the end I figured I had a decent time so backed off for the last 100m or so. Checked the times when I got home figuring I had a PB, but ended up with a shared KOM. Wish I hadn't backed off ... 1 second less ... Gggrrrr.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:34 pm

bychosis wrote:Trip home this arvo decided to see if the tailwind would help me get a decent time on the extended commute. Cruised down to the start of the Strava segment then upped the pace. Tailwind was useful about 60% of the way was doing fine towards the end I figured I had a decent time so backed off for the last 100m or so. Checked the times when I got home figuring I had a PB, but ended up with a shared KOM. Wish I hadn't backed off ... 1 second less ... Gggrrrr.
tail wind and you backed off? lesson learnt

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:39 pm

I found this afternoon harder than yesterday. Blusterly, hot, and dusty. :(

At least the company was nice. :)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:11 pm

jasonc wrote:
bychosis wrote:Trip home this arvo decided to see if the tailwind would help me get a decent time on the extended commute. Cruised down to the start of the Strava segment then upped the pace. Tailwind was useful about 60% of the way was doing fine towards the end I figured I had a decent time so backed off for the last 100m or so. Checked the times when I got home figuring I had a PB, but ended up with a shared KOM. Wish I hadn't backed off ... 1 second less ... Gggrrrr.
tail wind and you backed off? lesson learnt
Yup, had no idea it was going to be KOM didn't think I pushed enough. Don't often get tailwinds in the arvo so opportunity lost, lesson learned.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:20 pm

The was so dry (9% humidity, 33 celcius, dew point -2 degrees) sweat was vaporised before it even got out of my pores :)

Caught an odd camera frame rate effect on the way to work:

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:41 pm

Comedian wrote:I found this afternoon harder than yesterday. Blusterly, hot, and dusty. :(

At least the company was nice. :)
Thanks for showing me the north side commute run...I had a great tailwind out to the track!
Acheived a QOM for a segment as well...despite a 15 min stop for a chat!
Next week there will be no stopping to chat...will try to improve my time on the segment!

Seriously, there can't be too many females commuting on the north side if I can get a QOM :wink:

Shocking conditions for the crit race though!
Lisa

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:12 am

Had a shocker yesterday arvo.

Left work nearly 50 minutes later than normal...had to pick the daughter up from swimming. If I had left at normal time not an issue, leaving late meant I had to work hard all the way home. Seemed mother nature wanted to work against me for the majority of the time.....strong headwinds

Throw in an idiot P plater and his mate who thought it funny to try and scare me. You can see on the footage that they purposefully move across the lane to get as close as possible to me. The speed limit here is 80 km/h. When I slow the footage down you can clearly see the passenger laughing. (yet to work out how to edit/save in slow motion)

http://youtu.be/13m2W_EXpBM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:10 am

let us know how you go with the complaint greta.

i had to change bikes this morning when i realised the disc pad spring clip was dragging on the rotor - that usually means the pad has worn enough that the clip won't hook around it anymore :)

anyway, riding off to work on the roadie, i was having trouble clipping in. it took me a couple of minutes to figure out i was still wearing my SPD shoes :roll:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:21 am

jules21 wrote:let us know how you go with the complaint greta.

i had to change bikes this morning when i realised the disc pad spring clip was dragging on the rotor - that usually means the pad has worn enough that the clip won't hook around it anymore :)

anyway, riding off to work on the roadie, i was having trouble clipping in. it took me a couple of minutes to figure out i was still wearing my SPD shoes :roll:
I think that belongs in a different thread.... :lol:

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:26 am

jasonc wrote:I think that belongs in a different thread.... :lol:
if i posted everything in the right thread, i'd never leave it :)

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:31 am

Multi-hop commute back yesterday afternoon. Pleasant enough ride, though the Melbourne weather was more reminiscent of a mild winter's day.
Cool start again this morning, with a SW headwind and light rain and drizzle for most of the way in.
Riding along the path alongside the Ring Road heading towards Thomastown, my olfactory senses were assailed by a rotting smell. Light picked up a dead roo on the path - must have been tossed over the guardrails/fence from the freeway which at that point is only a few meters away.
A little further along, I came across a live one in the middle of the path, and, as on a previous occasion, it hopped ahead of me on the path for about 50m before veering off towards a stand of trees on the right.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:06 pm

Tailwind - congrats on getting 13k in commuting by the way...big effort

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:29 pm

gretaboy wrote:Tailwind - congrats on getting 13k in commuting by the way...big effort
Thanks gretaboy, you're clocking up some mind-boggling commute mileage yourself!
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:49 pm

Nice little commute in via Redcliffe this morning. Only thing was the wind were shuffling those c50's about. :o

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:03 am

Good ride back via MYT/Banyule Trail. Decided to try The Boulevard, which runs alongside the gravel section of the MYT towards the Yarra Flats park.
The road surface is a patchwork of, err, well, patches, and is barely rideable. Certainly took longer than blasting along the gravel trail....
Commute into the Melbourne CBD was without incident, although the dead roo is still on the path along the Ring Road :( . It's pretty fragrant now, and I guess there will be quite a few cyclists/joggers/walkers gagging as they pass that spot.
Happy Friday! :D

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:37 am

that boulevarde has always been like that, not sure why..

i had to ride one-handed this morning after i jammed a finger playing basketball last night, it is too painful to hold onto the bars over bumps.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:52 am

Off road commute via the single trails of gap creek this morning. Got a heap of off road PR's. Noice! :mrgreen:

higdawg

Postby higdawg » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:56 am

Crazy wind decided to be going in the wrong direction today. Had some good headwind resistance training going for most of my ride.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:04 pm

grrr
rode the fuji in and it's been raining

dino1969

Postby dino1969 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:34 pm

Well it has taken me two years of solid commuting to finally achieve my first 30km/hr average! :oops: I have come close a few times but never cracked the nut!Today's ride was great and i must say the conditions were good, however i was also riding into a headwind at times; lots of riders out enjoying the morning! Amazingly after a long week at work and 270km of commuting i found i had some leg power available to crack this average! :D Thank you everyone for your inspiration during the year! :P Tomorrow i hope to crack another of my goals and reach the 10000km mark!
"To climb steep hills requires a slow pace at first." - William Shakespeare

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:26 pm

dino1969 wrote:Well it has taken me two years of solid commuting to finally achieve my first 30km/hr average! :oops: I have come close a few times but never cracked the nut!Today's ride was great and i must say the conditions were good, however i was also riding into a headwind at times; lots of riders out enjoying the morning! Amazingly after a long week at work and 270km of commuting i found i had some leg power available to crack this average! :D Thank you everyone for your inspiration during the year! :P Tomorrow i hope to crack another of my goals and reach the 10000km mark!
Well done! And with that sort of mileage, you should join the Commuting Challenge for next year.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:43 pm

TailWind wrote:
dino1969 wrote:Well it has taken me two years of solid commuting to finally achieve my first 30km/hr average! :oops: I have come close a few times but never cracked the nut!Today's ride was great and i must say the conditions were good, however i was also riding into a headwind at times; lots of riders out enjoying the morning! Amazingly after a long week at work and 270km of commuting i found i had some leg power available to crack this average! :D Thank you everyone for your inspiration during the year! :P Tomorrow i hope to crack another of my goals and reach the 10000km mark!
Well done! And with that sort of mileage, you should join the Commuting Challenge for next year.
great. so i'll come 5th instead of 4th next year...

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:12 pm

jasonc wrote:great. so i'll come 5th instead of 4th next year...
Once your physio tunes you up, you'll be right up there, judging by your pre-injury performance :wink:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:15 pm

TailWind wrote:
jasonc wrote:great. so i'll come 5th instead of 4th next year...
Once your physio tunes you up, you'll be right up there, judging by your pre-injury performance :wink:
the more the merrier. simon and I have both had time off whilst challenging for the minor places. another one in the mix will be good. will keep us (well at least me) motivated.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:23 am

Good ride back via my brother's place on Friday.
Cool start this morning - 9C at 4:30am - but only a slight headwind and a pleasant, refreshing ride into the Melbourne CBD.