Stolen wheels need replacing

tuco

Postby tuco » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:36 am

timbo wrote:Mikesbytes may be able to confirm this, but my LBS always had a couple of the allen keys around the workshop because he said track cyclists aren't allowed to use quick release systems.
I believe you are correct there.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:57 am

timbo wrote:Mikesbytes may be able to confirm this, but my LBS always had a couple of the allen keys around the workshop because he said track cyclists aren't allowed to use quick release systems.
Don't know, but 100% of the bikes at the track don't have quick release.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:59 am

You are not allowed to have quick release hubs on a track bike ... which is why the bike I built for my son now has a new front axle :D

Richard

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:35 am

I also changed my citybike over with 'slow release' skewers. It is definately not impenetrable however for most theives there are easier options with people who have quick releases or standard bolts that can be easily undone with a wrench.

In additon I carry two chains. I find that most bikes tend to loose their front wheels first to theives so have my heavy chain through the frame and front wheels. A second lighter chain (which came with the bike) goes through the frame again and the back wheel.

Unfortunately thieves can and will steel a bike anywhere. Normally when you take the time and effort to protect your belongs then becomes lazy, this is when the thieves strike.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:59 am

tinstaafl wrote:
beauyboy wrote:Go to www.bbbparts.com and look up wheelfixed.
They look magic. Is it a case of a straight swap for the cam action quick release?

Robert

Yep, nothing to it Robert. Undo adjuster nut, pull skewer out, swear and hunt on the floor for the springs,in reverse to fit newies. If it takes longer than two minutes, consider training wheels.

tinstaafl

Some people just can't resist over-engineering

Postby tinstaafl » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:39 am

Suddenly they don't look so atractive. The devil is in the five sided detail.
Thanks mate.

Robert

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:58 pm

Ummm, Robert, the BBB wheelfixed skewers use a standard six sided 5mm Allen Key to release, no special tool to lose :wink:

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:36 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Ummm, Robert, the BBB wheelfixed skewers use a standard six sided 5mm Allen Key to release, no special tool to lose :wink:
I'd like to hear you say that while grubbing around among the bark in a heavy downpour :D

Richard

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:59 pm

My saddlebag must have been designed by a timelord, there's a multitool, regular Allen keys and a seperate 5mm key in the side pocket too, amongst many others :roll: I think I'll get going again :wink:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:27 am

I have the same skewers, at least with the 5mm allen key. With the set I got a 'tool' that fits on a key ring, so I can easily take it with the keys. It would have to be a pretty big bit of bark to hide all of those keys.

I know what your saying "Who's this fellow ringing like a christmas bell". For my city bike I often have a bag with me where I can store the keys, on the Mountain bike I have quick releases and keep the number of keys I bring with me on a MTB tour down to a minimum.