Remove pedals from SLX Crank

mattwilkinson

Remove pedals from SLX Crank

Postby mattwilkinson » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:52 pm

Hey guys,

I got my new bike!
Giant Anthem X2 2012 for $1700.

It came with double sided cleats, But don't have any mtb shoes yet so I want to put my flat pedals on them.

Like my old bike, It has the slot for a pedal tool. I tried to use this but its stuck on tight.
On the opposite side of the pedal there is a Allen key.

Do I use a pedal spanner or an allen key?

Thanks

bychosis

Re: Remove pedals from SLX Crank

Postby bychosis » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:58 pm

Allen key or spanner should work. Just make sure you turn the correct way. I use turn it 'backwards', but I really had to think about it early on to make sure.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Phil

Postby Phil » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:22 pm

Yeah a nice long handled allen works a treat 6 or 8mm depending on the pedal.

Stand on pedal and pull back with the allen key - exactly the the opposite direction of pedal travel. easiest way I have found. Shops tend to torque them up to the point of extreme silliness to get them off. Just put a litle grease on the pedal threads when you install your flats - makes them a lot easier to get back off.

And congratulations - had my Anthem 26er exactly a day - the run out prices makes them the bargain of the decade. They are an awesome bike.

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:53 pm

The easiest way to remember the right way to remove the pedals is the term "back off!".

With the arm of the removal tool (spanner or allen key) pointing upwards, moving it to the back of the bike will remove the pedal. Saves having to remember which side has right hand thread and which side has left hand thread.

Just back off!
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;