Helmet Visor

rdp_au

Helmet Visor

Postby rdp_au » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:56 am

Does anyone else use a helmet visor? I wear glasses and use prescription sunglasses which are multifocal and quite expensive. Unfortunately, they both made my eyes water furiously on the bike. It was worse in cold weather – travelling at any speed on early morning commutes rendered me virtually blind. As I’ve been riding motorcycles for many years with glasses, I knew a visor would solve the problem, but I’d never seen a cycling helmet with a visor, except for those swoopy time trial helmets. Very expensive, and not exactly something to wear on the way to work.

I thought about making my own using some clear polypropylene sheet but was a bit concerned about safety in an accident as it can shatter into very sharp shards. I was looking at my motorbike helmet one day and thought why not use the visor from one of those? They are designed to meet safety standards and are already almost the right shape. A spare visor I had matched the shape of my helmet perfectly, so it was easy to simply tape it in place using clear weatherproof tape. The first test ride wasn’t a complete success – it solved the eye watering problem, but fogged up quickly when I slowed down. Took me a little while to realise that I had got into the habit of breathing out through my mouth, especially when working hard and the air was being trapped behind the visor. Once I learned to direct my breathe down, it worked quite well. I used it to commute over winter and it made the trip much more pleasant. I had expected that it would be too hot to use when the weather warmed up, and I would have to go back to watery eyes in summer. I’d got to really like it though, and wanted to use it during the ‘Gong ride in November, but the forecast was for hot weather. As an experiment, I drilled some vent holes in the top of the visor to get some airflow, and decided to give it a go. This worked really well. The helmet felt almost the same as it did without a visor, there was enough airflow to keep cool, but no problems at all with watery eyes.

I now intend to use it all the time. I do get the occasional strange look, but as I ride a recumbent as well, I’m used to that.

David P

lethoso

Re: Helmet Visor

Postby lethoso » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:23 pm

rdp_au wrote:those swoopy time trial helmets
as I ride a recumbent as well, I’m used to that.
Come on, do it! 8)

As an alternative you could put a fairing on your 'bent :)

Andrew09

Postby Andrew09 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:52 pm

I though Helmet Visor was the name of a German racing car driver!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:01 pm

lethoso wrote:As an alternative you could put a fairing on your 'bent :)
:wink:

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:14 pm

I've got one of those swoopy time trial helmets with a visor and I also have some minor eye issues, and I can empathise - I'd love to be able to ride to work in it without silly comments! :D :D

The TT fairing does seem to work well, and it's more convenient to tip it back and forth than to take sunnies on and off. My TT helmet was just $150 on special, so something like that could be an option, and you know that you have a standards- approved visor.

The fairing at the back of the TT helmet would also be great in the rain, because it would stop water dripping down the back of your neck- but I'm too scared to cop the laughter :oops:

EDIT - I only noted you were a 'bent rider when I re-read the post... ignore my comments about looking "odd".
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:01 pm

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:33 pm

I typed bicycle helmet visor in google and this was the first thing that came up.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:29 am

A good idea. I can't see why helmet makers have not adopted it long ago, especially for those among us who are spectacle wearers.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:44 pm

If you are on a recumbent - could it be that your head is tilted back a little (or rests at the back) so compared with a urban bicycle let along road bike - there is more air coming from below and underneath your glasses? If this is an issue, I wonder how big the visor has to be to solve this.

On a side note, if you are riding regularly, what about prescription sports glasses that specifically will keep wind out of your eyes? For a road racing position the glasses may work better - though if you found a frame that sits on the top of your cheeks and keeps wind from coming in from below and the side (while open up the top to release moisture), it could be a simpler alternative that a DIY.
Cycling is in my BNA

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:21 pm

AUbicycles wrote:On a side note, if you are riding regularly, what about prescription sports glasses that specifically will keep wind out of your eyes? For a road racing position the glasses may work better - though if you found a frame that sits on the top of your cheeks and keeps wind from coming in from below and the side (while open up the top to release moisture), it could be a simpler alternative that a DIY.
Yep, this is what I've done.

After my mtb stack in early October I formed the view that my rather ordinary distance vision and the knock-on impairment of depth perception may have been one contributing factor (among several) to not reacting to the sudden change in track direction in time.

So I've bought a pair of Oakley Flak prescription riding glasses with Transitions lenses.

It's taken me some time to get used to them - the first couple of days of walking around it consistently felt like someone kept moving the ground away just as I was about to put my foot down :lol: :oops:

I've had a pair of Flaks for a couple of years and have been very happy with them as riding glasses. Excellent protection from the wind, from crud getting flicked up off the trail and wet roads, and they ventilate well with little tendency to fog up in the rain. When they do fog up, they clear pretty much immediately I start moving.

The presciption Transitions lense I've chosen goes from clear to mid-brown, and the change is pretty quick - great for riding in a wide range of conditions on the road, and they also handle the change from bright light to dim shadow that you often get on forest trails better than I expected. The improvement in detail vision from 6m to infinity is impressive.

So I'm hoping at this year's Mont 24 that I won't mistake any more dust piles for solid berms :lol:

The only ouch was the price - $675 before medical fund rebate :x

I think maybe I'd better buy one of those GPS tracker things for them :roll:

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:43 pm

The only ouch was the price - $675 before medical fund rebate
This is why I considered a visor. I already had a pair of glasses, and a pair of subscription sunglasses – at a total cost of more than $1300. The last thing I needed was yet another expensive pair. Here’s a link to a picture of my setup, not a neat, and I’m not as handsome as the chap shown in the link Mugglechops found, but it works well enough. Note compulsory gray beard for recumbent riders.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bentechri ... 20&dir=asc

Apologies for sending a link, but access to photosharing sites is banned at work...

David

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:28 pm

email me the photo if you can and I can link it up: info@bicycles.net.au
The link you provided is to a closed yahoo group that requires login.

But you are right about the beard, I have heard that they won't let you on a recumbent if your beard isn't up to scratch.
Cycling is in my BNA

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:48 am

gorilla monsoon wrote:A good idea. I can't see why helmet makers have not adopted it long ago, especially for those among us who are spectacle wearers.
Cos we already look like complete tools.
You have officially become your parents.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:31 am

AUbicycles wrote:If you are on a recumbent - could it be that your head is tilted back a little (or rests at the back) so compared with a urban bicycle let along road bike - there is more air coming from below and underneath your glasses? If this is an issue, I wonder how big the visor has to be to solve this.

I've seen from a member a CF visor for this issue. Must have been 6" long or more and very very light. Fastens on with zip ties from memory. Mind you that recumbent rider looks like he is going to have sore legs the way his left leg is setup... Fully locked leg
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:55 am

Mandatory helmet law?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:55 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Image
Sorry, off topic:
It occurs to me that is a *very* smick-looking 'bent 8) ... but a tad long for the rider. Surely you'd need a slight bend in the knee at bottom of stroke, just like you would on a DF bike to avoid rocking your hips and sustaining a lower back injury?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:44 pm

TG, your assessment of the leg-length is correct IMHO. Maybe this photo was posted as an illustration of how NOT to do it?? As for readjustments, this is usually easily accomplished on 'bents by a telescoping boom-tube. This one does seem to have that - you can make out what looks like two pinch-bolts underneath the front deraileur mount.
Mandatory helmet law?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:27 pm

This is a becumbent visor using carbon spider but it's no longer made. I'm thinking to see if I can get it made again. I'll make some inquiries next year when things start opening up again.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:41 pm

Just thought I would throw this out there coz these are on special. ($42 incl postage - the manufacturer retails them for $80 US - guess these guys are getting rid of stock that doesn't move)

http://www.afn.com.au/store/advanced_se ... 70b7dd0fdc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ideally the 1/2 face version would be better suited for recumbent cycling

but since the overseas site that distributes them charges $90 postage for some totally weird reason ( :evil: ) I can't see me ever getting a pair - maybe try and do a bit of surgery on the 3/4 one
Go!Run!GAH!

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:04 am

Take your pick but have you considered goggles. Some sport "goggles"/glasses can have script lens inserts.
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:08 am

Pushy wrote:Take your pick but have you considered goggles. Some sport "goggles"/glasses can have script lens inserts.
taken a look at a few different alternative visored helmets (like for tree loppers, marine/fire rescue ops, etc) but they are mostly pretty pricey, don't look particularly well ventilated and on the whole don't look particularly well suited for cycling).

There are a few different visors/goggles that look sort of ok (eg snow skiing or parachuting varieties) (these kroops sky diving goggles came up the best - in terms of price vs quality - in my search - doesn't seem to cut down on peripheral vision too much and maybe wouldn't be so hot and sweaty to wear as ski goggles and the like) ....

or even motorcycle glasses like uglyfish (wrap arounds) but the raygear stuff looks interesting since it covers wide portions of the face that really cop it from the sun in a recumbent riding postion.

Also I think the advantage of having goggles/visor/glasses separately mounted from the helmet is that there is less chance of it getting chipped/scratched as the helmet inevitably gets tossed around when not in use.
Go!Run!GAH!

pacra

Postby pacra » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:14 pm

Back to the OP. I use prescription glasses outdoors, driving etc (shortsightedness) and have always had a similiar problem to rdp_au, watering eyes especially in winter. Normal prescription glasses get wrecked on a bike, sweat corrodes the frames and the risk of losing them, an expensive episode with multifocals.

I found a helmet visor with wrap around sunglasses minimizes the problem except at dusk when lights flare but even then yellow or rose lenses can cut bad flaring. I had an Adura helmet with a detachable visor (or peak as some call it) which with the sunglasses kept the airstream out of my eyes. At least until the plastic oxidised and crumbled.

Just as good I now wear a pre-helmet cycling cap under the helmet. You do need to iron the peak after washing as it will keep flipping up in a headwind.

I did look on the web and Adura helmets, and others, still come with a detachable visor (peak).

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:47 pm

Look up Cratoni Evolution City Helmet....

They have a integrated visor, I bought one from c r c and it's very comfortable but obviously illegal as it does not have a little red & silver AS sticker ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dux_Helm

Postby Dux_Helm » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:38 pm

Hello to all our Australian cycling brothers and sisters.

I've stumbled across your forum while shamelessly googling my own product and figured I would chime in, though I'm also hoping the mods will be kind this one time.
In the interest of full disclosure, I have to say that I am involved in helmet manufacturing.
I make the only cycling helmet in the world which includes a built in lens (sort of like built in sunglasses)

anyways, it's easier to just take a look:

here's a nice youtube explanation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF7DwGxnMdA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and a short Gizmag review:
http://www.gizmag.com/dux-bike-helmet-sunglasses/24416/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Feel free to look us up on FB too.

Dux is not for sale in Australia yet, as your country has it's own safety certification, and we are not quite ready with it yet.

We are CE and CPSC approved though, so Australian certification should be just a formality.

Cheers to you all and sorry for a semi-spam, just thought you might like the idea.

Martin

revinR1

Postby revinR1 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:32 pm

Im in the same boat.But luckly my work supplies safety glasses and my current tinted pair are great for cycling. they are plastic framed,have a detachable strap on the rear,foam around the front,thats removable for cleaning and wicks away sweat. Oh and free :mrgreen: .I`ll see if they have a brand on them and post up otherwise you could check OPSM safety glasses range but they only come in black