New Sony Action Cam

Christine Tham

New Sony Action Cam

Postby Christine Tham » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:03 am

I bought a Sony Action Cam as a "safety camera" to record my commutes to work.

This is the commute from Chatswood to North Sydney yesterday morning around 6:40-7am - recorded with 170 angle with no steady shot:
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)

Christine Tham

Re: New Sony Action Cam

Postby Christine Tham » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:26 am

And this is the commute home, 120 degree angle with steady shot:
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:32 am

Nice! Ad the conclusion is?
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:55 am

sogood wrote:Nice! Ad the conclusion is?
Great riding, confident in the traffic - taking the lane early. 8) Good video quality too.

fingy

Postby fingy » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:43 am

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing.
They look like a great little camera for cycling.

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:16 am

Some plus and minuses. As a bike camera, it seems to do the job - good video quality - the steady shot and 120 angle makes a big difference - may leave the camera in this mode.

Battery life is great - after recording an hour of video, the battery meter is still showing full. Someone on the web is claiming they got 13 hours of recording time out of the battery. Sony must have really optimised the power draw of the chipset.

The camera itself is really small and light - it's surprising how tiny it is.

However, there is no way to mount the camera unless it is encased in the waterproof housing. Which makes the camera twice as heavy and bulky. BAD BAD BAD - I'll rather leave the housing at home.

The camera also has wifi, and allows the iPhone to be used as a remote control and viewfinder. Will probably not use this feature - can you imagine me using the iphone to control the camera whilst riding? :-)

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:17 am

Christine Tham wrote:I bought a Sony Action Cam as a "safety camera" to record my commutes to work.

This is the commute from Chatswood to North Sydney yesterday morning around 6:40-7am - recorded with 170 angle with no steady shot:
I am surprised I didn't see myself in your video! I might have been about 10 min ahead of you yesterday though.
I had a couple of shockers this week, catching every red light from lane cove all the way to North Sydney, despite the near empty road.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:17 am

Christine Tham wrote:.... The camera also has wifi, and allows the iPhone to be used as a remote control and viewfinder. Will probably not use this feature - can you imagine me using the iphone to control the camera whilst riding? :-)
Ah! This is cool and I like. ;)

Where did you pick up your unit from? I didn't see it when I walked through a JB Hifi store this morning. Have seen photos but would like to see the real thing for size amongst other parameters of interest.

BTW, were the images of sufficient quality and frame rate to read off car number plates (at moderate distance) when you go frame by frame?

Thanks again for this interesting report.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:32 am

sogood wrote: Where did you pick up your unit from? I didn't see it when I walked through a JB Hifi store this morning. Have seen photos but would like to see the real thing for size amongst other parameters of interest.

BTW, were the images of sufficient quality and frame rate to read off car number plates (at moderate distance) when you go frame by frame?

Thanks again for this interesting report.
I bought it directly from Sony. I'm a "Sony X" member (which means I get all Sony stuff at discounted rates). Email me if you want me to get one for you (I think Sony allows me to buy for others, not sure they are happy for me to reveal pricing over the Internet)

The frame by frame image quality seems pretty good. It's actually a 16 megapixel Exmor sensor, so there's plenty of latitude to allow some details to survive all the video processing and compression.

Phil

Postby Phil » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:49 am

Nice riding. I was tossing us between the Contour, Hero and Sony. Liking the Sony package the most after this. RRP is $399 and includes 2 batteries, waterproof housing. Just need to find a deal.

Nice little comparison here http://www.cnet.com.au/sony-action-cam- ... 342124.htm

Thinking that this is a nice Xmas pressy - just need to convince the other half ;-)

Edit: $342 at Harvey Norma for the Bundle.

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:22 pm

Phil wrote: Nice little comparison here http://www.cnet.com.au/sony-action-cam- ... 342124.htm
I know Lexy Savvides - the CNET reporter who wrote that article. Lexy knows her stuff and is pretty good at telling it as it is.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:42 pm

Christine Tham wrote:And this is the commute home, 120 degree angle with steady shot:
Should be in the CCR thread. Couple of nice scalps (AT) 0:38 and 1:24 :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:10 pm

This is BNA has been testing the Sony Action Cam. The Review is coming very soon, though we have made the video available.

Link: Sony Action Cam on Trial for Cross Country Mountain Biking

And this is a direct comparison with the GoPro Hero2. We tried to organise the Hero3 - where the silver version is the best match on specs, but it didn't happen.

Link: Sony Action Cam verses GoPro Hero2
(worth setting the quality at 1080p when watching)
Cycling is in my BNA

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:20 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Great riding, confident in the traffic - taking the lane early. 8) Good video quality too.
This. Nominate permalinking as instructional videos for new commute riders.

Christine, can you work it 170 with steady shot on? I like seeing your hands as it helps show exactly what you're doing.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Byke

Postby Byke » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:41 pm

I don't know much about video (or how much the variations I'm seeing are due to settings that can be tweaked) but speaking as as a photographer I much prefer the colour and lower contrast of the GoPro over the Sony.

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:15 am

Mulger bill wrote: Christine, can you work it 170 with steady shot on? I like seeing your hands as it helps show exactly what you're doing.
Unfortunately, no. It needs the space to do the steadyshot thingy, hence the restriction to 120.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:11 pm

Bum, thanks.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Phil

Postby Phil » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:16 pm

Yeah is a digital steadyshot, where they crop part of the image, hence the S/Shot only works in the lower resolution.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:01 pm

Byke wrote:I don't know much about video (or how much the variations I'm seeing are due to settings that can be tweaked) but speaking as as a photographer I much prefer the colour and lower contrast of the GoPro over the Sony.
Pro's and Con's, The GoPro has more colour / colour saturation and is attractive. Strangely the detail when pausing the video (via youtube) seems clearer on the GoPro though in the moving footage the Sony has more detail. That said, I film on a very bright day so assume a different result in conditions with less contrast.
Cycling is in my BNA

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:57 am

I agree, if I was in the market for either one and they were similar price, the GoPro would get my money. Firstly because of the above mentioned colours etc and because GoPro is a proven camera, it is used by professionals in a lot of different fields.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:39 am

Fair point BUT the GoPro Hero 2 doesn't have wifi, so costs ca. $100 more for this.
I found the Wifi really useful for setting up the shots though also agree if it is a daily camera, once it is set then it is not a necessity, and you still have to connect to the camera's wireless network first to then adjust settings and record, may be more than you need if you just want to start and stop. The Sony Wifi was shakey though I have heard with the updated app that this should now be solved though wasn't able to test as I returned the camera.

Based on Spec, the GoPro Hero3 Silver is a better match and I would love to do a comparison on these. Without steady shot I am assuming different (perhaps more accurate) footage on the Sony though it does a great job in stabilising.
Cycling is in my BNA

Phil

Postby Phil » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:52 pm

Just picked up the bundle plus bar mount from Good Guys. Hanging out to get home to play with it.

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:09 pm

I am thinking of getting the head strap - may be more useful for recording traffic rather than the bike mount. Having said that, I wouldn't mind a second bike mount for the 2nd bike.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:03 pm

Christine, the headmount wont work on a standard helmet. Only a full face or skater type helmet.

There is a place in Lindifeld on the pacific Hwy that sell cameras and mounts so may have one you can test - for the chance that you could get ride of the elastic, but use the plastic part of this mount and cable-tie it to your helmet. I found on the MTB helmet that it wasn't a good fit. Didn't try my road helmet.

The attractive thing on head mounting is a little less vibration and it doesn't use the waterproof case - so is quite light. You could then keep the case and handlebar mount on reserve for rainy days.
Cycling is in my BNA

herzog

Postby herzog » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:45 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
Pro's and Con's, The GoPro has more colour / colour saturation and is attractive. Strangely the detail when pausing the video (via youtube) seems clearer on the GoPro though in the moving footage the Sony has more detail. That said, I film on a very bright day so assume a different result in conditions with less contrast.
Another pro of the GoPro is that it is chest mountable.