Farsport Carbon Wheels

usernameforme

Re: Farsport Carbon Wheels

Postby usernameforme » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:37 pm

antipodean wrote:15 year old kids are so demanding these days.
They are :lol:

r2160

Postby r2160 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:05 pm

In that case, might I propose something different. Are we able to get a few different people, of different abilities, different fitness levels, with different wheel sets.

That way, we would end up with real world opinions and that would eliminate what different people think of different things.

How does that sound?

We could try them in training situations and racing situations as well. I have a set of Fulcrum 5 Evo's that I will donate to the test if you like.

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:38 pm

The principles have merit, fair testing, though the reality is that to do this properly and following the conditions mean it most likely wont happen.

Still waiting to hear back on my emails before starting to invest serious time.
Cycling is in my BNA

Magpie

Postby Magpie » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:19 pm

Baldy wrote
"The way I see it if farsport think their wheels are good value/superior product then they should foot the bill for the testing. This includes buying the wheelsets you want in the comparison. And then publishing the results without moderation, if it is shown that farsports make an inferior product"

Can't see the logic in this ?

I dought there's any accepted objective tests to ISO standards that can be done by an independant NATA registered testing authority,

It's a wasted disscussion full of unfounded opinions
M

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:30 pm

JustJames wrote:
Baldy wrote:...
The way I see it if farsport think their wheels are good value/superior product then they should foot the bill for the testing. This includes buying the wheelsets you want in the comparison. And then publishing the results without moderation, if it is shown that farsports make an inferior product.
I would not trust such a test's results, no matter which manufacturer ran it.

Vested interests?
Exactly. Testing persons need to be independent, and to have some reasonable professional standards to uphold.

As a suggestion, it might be worth contacting the mechanical engineering school at local universities. It could be an interesting project/learning exercise for final-year under-graduates to research testing methods and conduct such testing. They are often looking for people in industry to suggest good topics.

cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

fixedlegs2012

Postby fixedlegs2012 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:02 am

To be fair only real world testing is done by UCI standard which would involve sending mutiple sets of wheels to the UCI to test till failure. How would I know? My team is sponsored by a wheel manufactuer which had to go through it.

However FarSports do have a good rep!! :D

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:20 am

fixedlegs2012 wrote:To be fair only real world testing is done by UCI standard
In view of the scandalous EPO/LA era, the UCI brand has zero credibility. As Lance demonstrated,
they are easily and cheaply bought.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:32 pm

wombatK wrote:
In view of the scandalous EPO/LA era, the UCI brand has zero credibility. As Lance demonstrated,
My thoughts too but if we ignore that, what sort of testing would be recommended? What sort of testing would a rider as opposed to a scientist think important? Truth and hub drag are two things I look at without conscious thought whenever I look at a wheel but there's got to be more that could be done without a dedicated lab. How could impacts tests be reliably repeated?

Sorry, just thinking aloud. I like to tinker... :oops:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:46 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
wombatK wrote:
My thoughts too but if we ignore that, what sort of testing would be recommended? What sort of testing would a rider as opposed to a scientist think important? Truth and hub drag are two things I look at without conscious thought whenever I look at a wheel but there's got to be more that could be done without a dedicated lab. How could impacts tests be reliably repeated?

Sorry, just thinking aloud. I like to tinker... :oops:
How even the spoke tension is. Maybe lateral stiffness, but I dunno how easy that is. Easier than getting the wheels into a wind tunnel, I'd imagine...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:55 pm

I reckon I could knock up some sort of jig to support the wheel horizontally then hang say a 5kg weight off the outer edge of the rim and measure deflection. What'd be the most repeatable way to test hub drag?, can't just pick up one end of the bike and spin the wheel... Real world impact testing, should the wheel be turning or stationary?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:22 pm

Real world impact testing
I still think the idea of sending a set of wheels to toolonglegs is the best way to achieve that. :wink: :lol:

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:30 pm

Mulger bill wrote:turning or stationary?
IIRC, Tour (or one of those magazines) did a similar test and they did it stationary.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:50 pm

wombatK wrote:

Cheers
The testing is not done by the UCI - I already told everyone where the testing is done.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:52 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:
Real world impact testing
I still think the idea of sending a set of wheels to toolonglegs is the best way to achieve that. :wink: :lol:
If he lived here I'd be posting him all sorts of gear to test! I have some similiar guys who "break everything" that I do use regularly with new products just to satisfy myself :-)
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:49 pm

What about anyone who has a set of these giving us some feedback - I'm inclined to risk the money on an unknown but wouldn't want it to be falling apart under me - so if anyone has views on the quality of the wheel they have ridden I would be interested.

For those who profess to know - how does the hub compare - etc

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:53 pm

BenevolantDictatorD wrote:What about anyone who has a set of these giving us some feedback - I'm inclined to risk the money on an unknown but wouldn't want it to be falling apart under me - so if anyone has views on the quality of the wheel they have ridden I would be interested.

you could have some minimum requirements for the amount of kms. it's also going to depend on type of riding. e.g. commuting, racing, weekend coffee shop rides etc, type of tyres run. the geometry of the bike may also make a difference.

i've got 5 sets of wheels for 2 bikes (2 sets deon would be happy with). all for different purposes. haven't run all on both bikes. so couldn't comment how they all went on the one bike. they also all have different tyres (brands and types)

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:56 pm

BenevolantDictatorD wrote:What about anyone who has a set of these giving us some feedback - I'm inclined to risk the money on an unknown but wouldn't want it to be falling apart under me - so if anyone has views on the quality of the wheel they have ridden I would be interested.

Done.....http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... it=chinese

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:00 pm

jacks1071 wrote:The testing is not done by the UCI - I already told everyone where the testing is done.
And something tells me Farsports will now pursue UCI testing and approval.
A much bigger step towards credibility.
And they'll sit back and let bicycle forums do what they do best.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:05 pm

winstonw wrote:
jacks1071 wrote:The testing is not done by the UCI - I already told everyone where the testing is done.
And something tells me Farsports will now pursue UCI testing and approval.
A much bigger step towards credibility.
And they'll sit back and let bicycle forums do what they do best.
For sure it'll give them cred. Thats if they they pass the test which is not safe to assume.

dale79

Postby dale79 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:07 am

plenty of china carbon wheels have passed so shouldnt be a problem..

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:29 pm

dale79 wrote:plenty of china carbon wheels have passed so shouldnt be a problem..
Yeah for sure since everything that comes out of China is top quality.

Ben82

Postby Ben82 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:55 pm

Ok i'll chime in here! Recieved my Farsports 50mm carbon clinchers last week and they are absolutly flawless. I am using these as race wheels and have wrapped them with gp4000's. I'm not very qualified to comment performance as i've not ridden to many differnt wheels in my time, but they roll nice and helped me to my maiden 'D' grade win on the weekend. :D Lets see how they go in 'C' grade :wink:

bardygrub

Postby bardygrub » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:48 am

Ben82 wrote:Ok i'll chime in here! Recieved my Farsports 50mm carbon clinchers last week and they are absolutly flawless. I am using these as race wheels and have wrapped them with gp4000's. I'm not very qualified to comment performance as i've not ridden to many differnt wheels in my time, but they roll nice and helped me to my maiden 'D' grade win on the weekend. :D Lets see how they go in 'C' grade :wink:
Hi Ben,

What hubs did you go for?

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:36 am

Ben82 wrote: helped me to my maiden 'D' grade win on the weekend.
There you go. The results speak for themselves... RACE PROVEN FARSPORTS CARBON TAKES BEN82 TO VICTORY :mrgreen:

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:17 am

Ben82 wrote:Ok i'll chime in here! Recieved my Farsports 50mm carbon clinchers last week and they are absolutly flawless. I am using these as race wheels and have wrapped them with gp4000's. I'm not very qualified to comment performance as i've not ridden to many differnt wheels in my time, but they roll nice and helped me to my maiden 'D' grade win on the weekend. :D Lets see how they go in 'C' grade :wink:
Ben, I would like to see how they go after several months - not saying that they're going to fail or anything of that nature, all I do know however is that quality wheels cost a pretty dime, but they do last a damn long time. Case in point - my Fulcrum Zeros - cost over 2k when I bought them a couple of years ago, and they're still going flawlessly.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"