Objects thrown at Cyclists

PorkyPig

Objects thrown at Cyclists

Postby PorkyPig » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:22 pm

Well, I haven't been cycling for a while now, as I have been living overseas. Got back into it today and in my first (short!) outing, I had someone throw two half filled McDonalds drinks at me from a car. I got the rego and reported it to the police (cos I am sick of this type of activity as it is unnecessarily endangering your health), but unfortunately they can only give a warning as there were no other witnesses.
According to this law:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/ ... n18338.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this is an offence with a maximum penalty of 5 years in jail.

Maybe cyclists should post the rego's of cars doing this type of activity (in this forum?) as get some kind of database going?

skull

Re: Objects thrown at Cyclists

Postby skull » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:55 pm

some guys post the rego on their videos.

check out the moron motorist thread.

However no I don't think it is a good idea to post regos on the website, it could lead to vigilante behaviour, have possibly innocent people regos recorded, and would most likely cause a lot of grief for the owner of the site.

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:03 pm

Report em to the EPA for littering. So long as you are willing to appear in court if they decide to fight it the EPA will happily give em an on the spot on your say so. And if you turn up and say.. "Yep they threw it at me" ... the fine is not going to go down for them And of course its true

DavieB

Postby DavieB » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:55 pm

I got hit with snowballs on Tuesday :cry:

Can't wait to land in Adelaide lol

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:54 pm

PorkyPig wrote:Well, I haven't been cycling for a while now, as I have been living overseas. Got back into it today and in my first (short!) outing, I had someone throw two half filled McDonalds drinks at me from a car. I got the rego and reported it to the police (cos I am sick of this type of activity as it is unnecessarily endangering your health), but unfortunately they can only give a warning as there were no other witnesses.
According to this law:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/ ... n18338.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this is an offence with a maximum penalty of 5 years in jail.

Maybe cyclists should post the rego's of cars doing this type of activity (in this forum?) as get some kind of database going?

Check out the Video camera thread and seriously consider buying one. The cyclists that have to endure heavier traffic or have the misfortune to be forced to share the road with a disproportionate number of moron motorists, they roll with more than one camera.
2012 Oppy A4

Cinder

Postby Cinder » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:40 pm

skull wrote:
However no I don't think it is a good idea to post regos on the website, it could lead to vigilante behaviour, have possibly innocent people regos recorded, and would most likely cause a lot of grief for the owner of the site.
No reason it won't do the same from YouTube, if I search back hard enough I can find comments along those lines already re videos posted by a member on here. Thankfully most of the time it is just keyboard warriors but the day will come.
*** insert signature here ***

arkle

Postby arkle » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:58 pm

DavieB wrote:I got hit with snowballs on Tuesday :cry:

Can't wait to land in Adelaide lol
Yes, you'll forget all about the snowballs. You'll be too busy worrying about the magpies that deliberately fly into your head and try to peck pieces out of your ears.

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

Apple

Postby Apple » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:02 pm

I had an egg once, and the the rest of the group got it too. Makes me so mad.
:evil:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

pacra

Postby pacra » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:23 pm

I think reporting to the police was the best option now and in the future. Provided you're not going to the police everyday reporting trivia, ie being yelled at or sworn at or tooted the usual s**t etc, objects thrown are incredibly dangerous. From experience an egg in the back from a moving car can almost put you on the deck.

Unlike years ago when you would be told that any report would take two hours and were you still interested, in metro Melbourne the desk cops will put it on an incident sheet and follow it up. In serious events the incident and follow up goes on police records and in the case of a serial offender they become "known to the police".

In the last couple of years I have gone to the police on two occasions when I considered I was only centimetres from a hospital bed. On both occasions they got back to me and advised they had spoken to the driver involved and any further incidents or reports would be followed up in greater detail. If I can give a free plug all credit to Malvern police.
I also figure that the more cyclists report serious issues officially it will filter up to the dinosaurs and dunderheads responsible for road safety policy that all road users, not just the almighty car, have a right to use roads safely.

If you get a younger cop all the better. They will take you seriously, being more attuned to cycling
issues. ( I am only 3 years off retirement so I am not being ageist)

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:47 am

PorkyPig wrote:...but unfortunately they can only give a warning as there were no other witnesses.
Video cam!
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:10 pm

Last year a teenager probably had to explain to his mum that he bought a wedge of cheese at the supermarket but his mate in the car had thrown it at a cyclist on the way home.

I saw it fly in front of me (youngsters have to learn that they have to aim behind their target to hit something they're overtaking) and it landed on the nature strip beside a baffled guy mowing his lawn!

skull

Postby skull » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:04 pm

Cinder wrote:
skull wrote:
No reason it won't do the same from YouTube, if I search back hard enough I can find comments along those lines already re videos posted by a member on here. Thankfully most of the time it is just keyboard warriors but the day will come.
I am thinking more in terms of turning this site into a hate fest and bna copping flak.

Sent from my not iDevice using Tapatalk 2