6K Club. 2012 Edition. Cleaner and Greener.

marinmomma

Re: 6K Club. 2012 Edition. Cleaner and Greener.

Postby marinmomma » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:56 pm

lovemybike wrote:I was just about to ask how you went Grant - sounds like a good ride :-).

102 kms for me this morning - getting closer! It was also my December 100km ride so I was glad to have finished that. My ride report is short: it was hot but I very happy! Have a good ride everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well done Julie, did you do a century ride every month this year?, If so that is an awesome effort.
Lisa

lovemybike

Postby lovemybike » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:06 pm

I did Lisa and thanks! It was a BNA challenge. I did one a month but some people seemed to do one a week. Pretty amazing. Well done in your racing today!

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:42 pm

Great write up Shane. You guys are amazing for riding the k's in that heat.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:58 pm

lovemybike wrote:I did Lisa and thanks! It was a BNA challenge. I did one a month but some people seemed to do one a week. Pretty amazing. Well done in your racing today!

Thanks Julie, it was a great series to give crit racing a go in as there were separate races for the men and ladies...now to go to regular racing with mixed races, might give D grade a crack next week.... :wink:
Lisa

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:02 pm

Worked out my total again the hard way (damn computer :evil: ), and i'm up to 6951, not far now! :)
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

lovemybike

Postby lovemybike » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:23 pm

DaveOZ wrote:Great write up Shane. You guys are amazing for riding the k's in that heat.
Always good to read :-)

grantw

Postby grantw » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:07 pm

Mugglechops wrote:The video from today. I left one angle out :(
If that angle was plumview, no-one will mind. You also have much better taste in music. :D

sblack

Postby sblack » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:20 am

Grant, nice work on the Jamberoo ride. That first couple of kilometres certainly is a good test both physically and mentally.

Lewy, impressive effort on the fixie ride.

Julie, top effort on the century a month. Nice way to help bring down the required average for the rest of the month too.

I was pretty happy to get in a few kilometres today. With a half day of work I got my small commute in but that was all I was expecting as I'd already decided this weekend was for some family time. I got a call at work from wife saying she wanted to take our daughter shopping and our son had asked if I could take him to the BMX track. Now it was just over a month ago that he'd decided he wasn't too freaked out to try and ride a bike with pedals and without training wheels. While he took to it fairly quickly it was the new 16 inch bike for his 5th birthday last week that saw him all of a sudden be able to get a bit more speed up, ride up small inclines and be able to handle anything more than a driveway lip in terms of roughness. Now a week later he's decided he's ready for the BMX track! I wasn't so sure but I thought I'd let him get out there and see how he goes. So we drop the girls at the shops then head over to the BMX track. It's completely empty so he can have a go without having to worry about getting in the way of anyone. His helmet is on before I've managed to get his bike out of the boot and as soon as he has it he's off to ride around the empty carpark. I set about grabbing my bike off the roof and grabbing my gear and next thing I know he's on top of the final ramp and taking off to head the wrong way around the track. He manages the final and third straights ok but has to walk the bike up the ramp at the end of the second straight. He then takes off again down the other side but came off on the way up the next one. He picks himself up and goes back to the final two straights riding back and forth along them for a while before having another go at the second straight. This time he makes it most of the way before getting stuck just before the top of a ramp and having to hop off. He has a third attempt and this time get's stuck just before the top of one of the tallest ramps before rolling backwards then sliding off.

That one shook him up a bit but after brushing himself off he hops back on the bike for a bit of a ride around some of the surrounding fire trails and singletrack. Then he goes back to the last two straights and alternates between them and the surrounding bush for the rest of our ride. A few other riders turned up during the time as well. A couple more parents with some slightly older kids having their first go on the BMX track, a couple of teenagers on MTBs coming back to the track for the first time in years and a couple of much more experienced BMX riding teenagers but despite the increased traffic everyone seamed to be getting their fare go of the track and having a great time.

When we picked the rest of the family back up he tells them he wants to show them how he can ride on the BMX track now so we pick up the other bikes and the whole family heads down for some more time at the BMX track and surrounding bush. At the end of that he asks to ride home as well so I ride home with him while my wife takes the car and our daughter home. All up I reckon he managed around 15km for the day and I got to have my quality family time and ride the bike as well.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:50 am

Thanks Shane. Looks like you may have a future BMX racer on your hands.

If your keen for a cheap 20, 40 or 60km MTB race next Sunday, I am running the local club race.

SCUM 20/40/60km race Sunday 16th December

Cheapest 60km race you will ever do :)

Entry fee for the event will be only $5 for all (non MTBA members will need to buy a day licence)
Any family member of a SCUM member will have their day licence paid by SCUM

Start times

60kers - 8:30am
40kers - 9:00am
20kers - 9:45am

Rego will be from about 7:15am and you will be able to register up to 10 mins prior to your start time.

Presentations for the 2012 XC series will take place at the conclusion of the event.

Food and drinks will be available on the day. We will also have a table with Bananas and snakes so you can refuel for your second and third laps.

And a water trailer thanks to Shoalhaven Water.

Was out doing a course recon this morning and my guess of a 20km course was pretty much spot on :D

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:37 pm

Yesterday's ride...

Started the day needing 51km to complete 6000km in one year (for the first time). The plan was to get on the road early before what was predicted to be a 37° day - didn't quite go according to plan. An appointment set for the day before had the other party not show up :x , so had to reschedule for 0700 in Melbourne CBD. Eventually on the bike shortly after 0930 and heading up to Kinglake for the first time ever. I lost some time when a shifting problem became a real nuisance, refusing to go down cogs on the rear; I dropped in to Bike Force in Eltham and they had a quick look and diagnosed the problem in the shifter (I had worried it was the cable), frustrating but wouldn't put and end to the trip (Thanks guys!!!). Pushed on through Eltham and Kangaroo Ground and already getting pretty warm on the bike, progress was getting pretty slow and the Garmin was reading 39.2°C. I realised that I would be even slower once I hit the harder climbs at the end and was starting to worry that i would be back in time to be cleaned up, showered and in my party clothes for a family event. So I pulled the pin at St Andrews, cooled off and had a bite to eat at Smith's Gully bakery and headed for home. Ended up a good decision as it was still a struggle to get home, needed to stop a few times to cool off and find more water, I rolled in to the driveway right on time. Disappointed i hadn't got up to Kinglake but the Garmin was reading 60.1km in 3:03 which meant 6009km YTD. :D
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

norbs

Postby norbs » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:10 pm

coffeeandwine wrote:Yesterday's ride...

Started the day needing 51km to complete 6000km in one year (for the first time). The plan was to get on the road early before what was predicted to be a 37° day - didn't quite go according to plan. An appointment set for the day before had the other party not show up :x , so had to reschedule for 0700 in Melbourne CBD. Eventually on the bike shortly after 0930 and heading up to Kinglake for the first time ever. I lost some time when a shifting problem became a real nuisance, refusing to go down cogs on the rear; I dropped in to Bike Force in Eltham and they had a quick look and diagnosed the problem in the shifter (I had worried it was the cable), frustrating but wouldn't put and end to the trip (Thanks guys!!!). Pushed on through Eltham and Kangaroo Ground and already getting pretty warm on the bike, progress was getting pretty slow and the Garmin was reading 39.2°C. I realised that I would be even slower once I hit the harder climbs at the end and was starting to worry that i would be back in time to be cleaned up, showered and in my party clothes for a family event. So I pulled the pin at St Andrews, cooled off and had a bite to eat at Smith's Gully bakery and headed for home. Ended up a good decision as it was still a struggle to get home, needed to stop a few times to cool off and find more water, I rolled in to the driveway right on time. Disappointed i hadn't got up to Kinglake but the Garmin was reading 60.1km in 3:03 which meant 6009km YTD. :D

Congrats!

grantw

Postby grantw » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:26 pm

Well done. The weather sounds awful.

Blowing like a windy thing up here today so I've been catching up with things around the shed, tidied away some tools, roasted some coffee, did a bit of work on the Hercules (trying to get the dynamo lights to work) and patched a years worth of punctured tubes. There were only 3 (and one of those was on the trainer). It's been a good year that way :)

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:50 pm

Good one C&W

At least you will remember your goal achieving ride!

sblack

Postby sblack » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:42 pm

Well done on reaching the 6k coffeeandwine
Mugglechops wrote:Thanks Shane. Looks like you may have a future BMX racer on your hands.

If your keen for a cheap 20, 40 or 60km MTB race next Sunday, I am running the local club race.
Yeah, Noah has showed an interest in the BMX even before he could ride on his own. The track is across the carpark from the Little As field and both are on friday nights. Because the Tiny Tots finish at least an hour before the rest, including his sister Alex, he loves to head over to watch the BMX. Only a matter of time before he asks to start racing now I'm sure.

As for the SCUM race, if I hadn't already made plans to head out for a recon ride for the Meryla Meandering Audax ride (which is on the 29th) then I'd be pretty keen to head down for it. After that one though my recon work needs to shift down your way with the Tour de SCUM being the next ride of the dirt series.

lovemybike

Postby lovemybike » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:59 am

You made it C&W - well done!

norbs

Postby norbs » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:33 am

lovemybike wrote:You made it C&W - well done!

And you should be next! :)

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:57 am

sblack wrote: After that one though my recon work needs to shift down your way with the Tour de SCUM being the next ride of the dirt series.
I should have that sorted for you over the Christmas break.

sblack

Postby sblack » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:21 pm

Mugglechops wrote:
sblack wrote: After that one though my recon work needs to shift down your way with the Tour de SCUM being the next ride of the dirt series.
I should have that sorted for you over the Christmas break.
Thanks for your help with this one. I'm looking forward to getting down there for a few rides before the Audax ride is on. My current 2013 ride calendar has April set aside for preparation for it and Feb and March only have one major ride in each so I can hopefully get down there a couple of times then as well.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:31 pm

For 2012 I wanted 6,000 but it is going to take me slightly more than 300 hours to achieve it - yes I am old and fat and slow.

I have been thinking about my goals for 2013 & maybe taking a diffent tack. So my goal for 2013 is match this years 315 hours and see how much further ahead I can get. Sure I may be a year older, but I can fight hard on the other 2, even if it doesn't mean me breaking 10k next year :D

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:04 pm

lovemybike wrote:You made it C&W - well done!
Thanks Julie and all others who have sent congrats; likewise well done to all the others! It has been inspiring having encouragement of others to bring up 6k for the first time, enjoyed the stories and the banter!
norbs wrote:And you should be next! :)
+1
You are really cranking out the km now Julie, just over 400 to go; keep us posted.

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:12 pm

find_bruce wrote:For 2012 I wanted 6,000 but it is going to take me slightly more than 300 hours to achieve it - yes I am old and fat and slow.

I have been thinking about my goals for 2013 & maybe taking a diffent tack. So my goal for 2013 is match this years 315 hours and see how much further ahead I can get. Sure I may be a year older, but I can fight hard on the other 2, even if it doesn't mean me breaking 10k next year :D
How many km do you have up for this year? 315 hrs isn't too bad (IMHO), it has taken me about 270 hours; I've also found that I've got faster as my fitness has picked up.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:40 pm

I am on 299hrs and 10mins. I find that riding the MTB off road I only avg about 14-15kmh sometimes less.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:57 pm

coffeeandwine wrote:How many km do you have up for this year? 315 hrs isn't too bad (IMHO), it has taken me about 270 hours; I've also found that I've got faster as my fitness has picked up.
Currently 297 hrs for 5700k- most of my Ks are commuting into Sydney CBD & the last 1.5k really knocks down the average, but I am still slow.

Interestingly I am not much slower when I am towing my 18 month boy- 10kg for him & 15kg for the trailer so a nice bit of weight training.
Mugglechops wrote:I am on 299hrs and 10mins. I find that riding the MTB off road I only avg about 14-15kmh sometimes less.
Pretty impressive if your 6k includes a chunk of off road MTB.

I am trying not to be too competitive about this, but instead setting goals that encourages me to try a bit harder rather than just be out for longer.

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:26 am

find_bruce wrote:I have been thinking about my goals for 2013 & maybe taking a diffent tack. So my goal for 2013 is match this years 315 hours and see how much further ahead I can get. Sure I may be a year older, but I can fight hard on the other 2, even if it doesn't mean me breaking 10k next year :D
I like that approach. Same time commitment but upping the ante with fitness. Very cool.

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:42 pm

well done coffee&wine, congrats on the 6k. you and I are leapfrogging each other on bike journal every few days (my name is nath2827), will be interesting to see where the year ends up :)
congrats again!
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels"