Road Bike - Cleaning (Maintenance)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Road Bike - Cleaning (Maintenance)

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:37 pm

Nothing wrong with kero. If you're at all sensitive to petrochemicals, use it in open air and wear nitrile gloves.

I use the rough side of stickyback velcro stuck to a hacksaw blade to clean between sprockets and the end of the blade to gently scrape the jockeys clear of muck before a damp rag gets the rest off.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:18 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
g-boaf wrote:...warm water with a bit of dishwashing detergent...
Ensure you rinse very well if used near any steel parts, that stuff commonly uses salt as a thickening agent.
Absolutely - but since I'm not using a cloth that is soaking wet, the soapy water isn't running off anywhere. My bike only really gets dirty in areas where there are no metal parts.

I don't have to do too much cleaning, it stays pretty clean unless it has been raining.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:09 am

swon38 wrote: For the chain that's fair enough but in between the gears and with the junk on the jockey gears I think I need something more thorough.

Is kerosene ok for these parts? Won't water cause rust?

Sorry for all the noobie questions.
Kero will clean the jockey wheels :-)

If they are your worry though, just get a rag, grab them and turn the cranks backwards slowly (careful not to catch your rag in the drive train). Job done and you didn't have to wash anything.

A big reason why I like Kero for cleaning is if any of it gets into your hubs or anywhere else on your bike it will break down the grease but at least its not going to corrode anything, unlike degreaser which can be really nasty stuff.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

swon38

Postby swon38 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:51 pm

jacks1071 wrote:
swon38 wrote: For the chain that's fair enough but in between the gears and with the junk on the jockey gears I think I need something more thorough.

Is kerosene ok for these parts? Won't water cause rust?

Sorry for all the noobie questions.
Kero will clean the jockey wheels :-)

If they are your worry though, just get a rag, grab them and turn the cranks backwards slowly (careful not to catch your rag in the drive train). Job done and you didn't have to wash anything.

A big reason why I like Kero for cleaning is if any of it gets into your hubs or anywhere else on your bike it will break down the grease but at least its not going to corrode anything, unlike degreaser which can be really nasty stuff.
Think that's probably a better way. Might also try the simple warm water + toothbrush to get between the gears

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:50 pm

swon38 wrote: Think that's probably a better way. Might also try the simple warm water + toothbrush to get between the gears
Forget about the toothbrush.......buy a cheapy bottle brush.......dip that in kero, scrub clean, and then tip some hot water over the cassette and jockey wheels.