Stolen item

Skexis

Stolen item

Postby Skexis » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:14 pm

Is there any way of checking something is stolen prior to purchase? Do the police have a list of serial numbers of stolen items and if so what would happen if you bought something through a private sale and it was subsequently reported as stolen?

Just wondering

usernameforme

Re: Stolen item

Postby usernameforme » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:21 pm

have you tried asking for a proof of purchase?

Chef

Postby Chef » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:43 pm

Skexis wrote:Is there any way of checking something is stolen prior to purchase? Do the police have a list of serial numbers of stolen items and if so what would happen if you bought something through a private sale and it was subsequently reported as stolen?

Just wondering

Hi,

You could check with the police, or local classifieds often list stollen items. It might also be worth checking with manufacturer as some people register their bikes etc for warranty.

If you are still suspicious but have no proof then steer clear - you have no right to keep stollen goods even if you have paid for them.

Cheers

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:48 pm

I'm assuming that you are referring to buying a stolen bike.

This BNA topic may be of some interest- Economics of stolen bicycles

To the best of my knowledge there is no National Registry of stolen bikes in Australia. However the police in various States do keep a register of frame serial numbers and a description of bikes reported as stolen, and if you are found to be in possession of a stolen bike, you would lose the bike, and would no doubt have some difficult questions to answer.

Skexis

Postby Skexis » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:41 pm

Was just wondering. Also I wonder whether there are avenues to report something being sold that you suspect is stolen even if you have no definite proof whatsoever. Bit of a grey area I reckon.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:11 pm

you can report suspected crimes to the police. whether they follow up is another matter (that sounds familiar).

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:43 pm

Was just wondering. Also I wonder whether there are avenues to report something being sold that you suspect is stolen even if you have no definite proof whatsoever. Bit of a grey area I reckon.

The only avenue I know is the police and they will ask you what proof do you have. Suspecting it is stolen is'nt enough for them to do anything.

Would I buy anything that I suspected was stolen. No way!

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:49 pm

Chef wrote:
If you are still suspicious but have no proof then steer clear - you have no right to keep stollen goods even if you have paid for them.

Cheers
As a chef, Chef, I'd have thought you would appreciate stollen goods, especially at this time of year. 8)

My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;