Bendigo Belter 2012

jamesn184

Re: Bendigo Belter 2012

Postby jamesn184 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:13 am

They are a bit blind to think that the rider is the only one showing up, for me my wife, son and mother will be coming along and spending the day having a look around etc... Very narrow minded thinking

And another point is that they are going to be running at a loss for this event...

Chuck in Bendigo

Postby Chuck in Bendigo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:02 am

Rode the 85km fun route yesterday. It was a good little ride. Bit of headwind to the mountain but a nice tailwind all the way home. I am looking forward to doing the 125km route on Sunday with the availbility of some drinks along the way route will make things a bit easier for me. Ran out with 20km to go and it was a battle after that.

The markings on the road for the pothole on the Southern descent of Mount Alexander are still there. The council has but up a couple of signs also. You cant possibly hit it now.

Forecast for Sunday is 21 and windy. Hopefully the wind doesn't eventuate and it turns into a nice riding day.

domestique

Postby domestique » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:42 am

I've signed up for the Epic - looking forward to it ... what's the ascent/descent like on the Mountain? also wondering which mountain it is?

Thanks!

Chuck in Bendigo

Postby Chuck in Bendigo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:22 pm

domestique wrote:I've signed up for the Epic - looking forward to it ... what's the ascent/descent like on the Mountain? also wondering which mountain it is?

Thanks!
It is Mount Alexander near Harcourt. I struggle on the ascent but that is mainly due to being a bit of a beginner. The ascent is up the steep side of the mountain and the descent is down the easier southern side. There are plenty of straight sections and it is not very technical.
Last edited by Chuck in Bendigo on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:54 pm

Comes up as a nearly 8% climb on the segment I'm looking at. Looks similar to Arthurs Seat with an extra 1/2 a km.

domestique

Postby domestique » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:31 pm

thanks Chuck - -I'm happy enough climbing, but I'm a little green on steep descents. So that's good news for me at least.

Chuck in Bendigo

Postby Chuck in Bendigo » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:25 am

danny the boy wrote:Comes up as a nearly 8% climb on the segment I'm looking at. Looks similar to Arthurs Seat with an extra 1/2 a km.
I have no frame of reference but I think it is a difficult climb. Some people might struggle up but it shouldn't be too bad.
domestique wrote:thanks Chuck - -I'm happy enough climbing, but I'm a little green on steep descents. So that's good news for me at least.
There are some steep sections but if you are doing the epic then you are way in front of me and you shouldn't be too worried about the climb.

Chuck in Bendigo

Postby Chuck in Bendigo » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:49 am

Got the information pack from Wiggle earlier this week. I am lined up for a 9:10 to 9:30am start on the standard route. Killer southerly of 27Km/hr predicted at the moment.

Feed stations at the 53km and 120km marks so at Sutton Grange and Lake Eppalock.

Should be an interesting day.

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:46 pm

How did everyone else pull up?
I must admit the roads in the course were pretty good, I would of liked the 2nd feed station a little bit before 120km... Cause I nearly ran out of fluids.

As for myself I was cramping really bad for the last 50k, had to pull over for a bit

The feed stations were pretty good to, the coconut bars were yum!

btothec

Postby btothec » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:59 pm

jamesn184 wrote:How did everyone else pull up?
http://app.strava.com/activities/31593975

Had a good day! Although a very long one! Up at 3am to be on the road by 4am to drive to Bendigo. Event seemed to go smoothly. As you said roads were very nice to ride on. Also would have liked the 120 km water stop a little earlier. Or maybe an extra on say at 40, 80 & 120 km. Oh and the wind did make things a little interesting.

neild

Postby neild » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:08 pm

Pulled up ok. The head wind was a killer! Though it was almost bearable when you knew it was going to turn into a tail wind and you could hook along at around 55k pretty easily.

Yeah the location of the second feed station was a bit strange. A couple of people I talked to ran out of water before it.

I really wasn't prepared for the first 35km of hills though. Sure was different to Beach Rd. Mt Alexander was tough. I saw one guy walking so I just kept thinking it doesn't matter how slow I go just keep pedalling. The pothole ob the descent mentioned previously was marked ok. Though the descent in other places was a bit hairy with bumps and crosswinds.

I was a bit disappointed at the finish. I came in about 2:25 and there wasn't much happening. Pleased overall with the day.

Legs aren't too bad but will have to see what tomorrow brings.
Norco VFR1 Disc, Merida 903, Mofo Single Speed, Giant MTB, soon to be vintage Gazelle fixie

btothec

Postby btothec » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:47 pm

neild wrote:
I was a bit disappointed at the finish. I came in about 2:25
It was the same when I got in at around 1:30. Most things were already packed up already then. No sausage sizzle/bbq to be seen. Coffee van was still there but that was the last thing on my mind. Had to go across the road to the servo to round up food and I was looking forward to a sausage I thought I had earned at least one. :)

Cadel

Postby Cadel » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:23 pm

btothec wrote:
neild wrote:
I was a bit disappointed at the finish. I came in about 2:25
It was the same when I got in at around 1:30. Most things were already packed up already then. No sausage sizzle/bbq to be seen. Coffee van was still there but that was the last thing on my mind. Had to go across the road to the servo to round up food and I was looking forward to a sausage I thought I had earned at least one. :)
ha-ha-ha I should be really disappointed then as I came in a bit after 4pm. :lol: but it was my longest ride ever so just glad that I managed to finish.
The event was organised pretty well imho, the only downside was the wind which absolutely annoying to say the least...

Mental note for next big ride: do not rely on energy bars and gels for 8 hours, stomach wasn't happy today :roll:

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:36 pm

http://app.strava.com/activities/31602587" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

domestique

Postby domestique » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:45 pm

It was a good challenge ... I similarly was surprised by the steepness of the ascent. We had a good day but didnt push too hard ... my riding partner was unfortunately having a pretty hideous time with cramping.

http://app.strava.com/activities/31616453" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Agreed that the finish was pretty underwhelming. More importantly, I found the safety on some parts of the course to be pretty poor. We were almost collected by cars in areas with no road shoulder. Also, some signage advising motorists to drive with caution due to cycle event would be useful for their next event. I gritted my teeth a few times there where I could hear large vehicles approaching and just hoped I wouldn't get cleaned up – not a good feeling.

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:53 am

domestique wrote:More importantly, I found the safety on some parts of the course to be pretty poor. We were almost collected by cars in areas with no road shoulder. Also, some signage advising motorists to drive with caution due to cycle event would be useful for their next event. I gritted my teeth a few times there where I could hear large vehicles approaching and just hoped I wouldn't get cleaned up – not a good feeling.

Where was that?
Nobody younger than <del>27</del> 28 has experienced a month cooler than the 20th century average.

domestique

Postby domestique » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:44 am

Geez I wish I could tell you exactly ... it was probably not long after riding over Lake Eppalock – was a few km section of curving, two-lane highway. I may have just been unlucky with the traffic at the time. The signage may not have prevented it but it certainly would not have done any harm.

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:34 pm

I was somewhat lucky I didn't fly down after a little hill as about 15m infront was 5 roo's crossing the road lol

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:53 pm

Forgot to turn on my Garmin until about a k down the road from the start and now Iv'e missed out on the KOM for the 125k ride :x . Got a good run with 2 blokes to the first feed station and then was solo from the turn off for the Standard/Epic route. Turning back into the headwind with about 30k's to go was a fair slap in the face. I put the lack of anything at the finish down to the lack of numbers, there was less than 300 riders, noticed a local butcher had a BBQ set up at the start but was packed up and gone by the time I got back. Either the course was too hard for a lot recreational riders or it was too far to travel from Melb, for a $50 ride it was good value.

Chuck in Bendigo

Postby Chuck in Bendigo » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:02 pm

I thought the ride was great. Apart from turning into the headwind with 30kms to go which was torture. My Garmin ran out of batteries after 113km so I was flithy about that.

I left with a big group at about 8:45 but went off the front with a couple of others up one tree hill. Apart from a few little groups I rode mostly solo.

It was great to pass a few people going up Mount Alexander for a change. Usually I am the one watching others go past me. Still got passed by a few but being a local helps you know where the kicks are and what to be prepared for. Saw a few poor buggers walking up and I know exactly how they would have felt.

By the time I ended up riding to and from strathdale from home it ended up being about 140km for me wich is a lot further than my previous best of 100km. Very happy with the day's riding but and feeling it today.

Hopefully it becomes and annual thing and I can go for the 155km next year.

winstonwolf

Postby winstonwolf » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:56 pm

Hey with the time chips that we had on, will the results of the ride be published some where?

I had a great day, the 85km tough, but the climb really challenged alot of our group

W

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:57 pm

winstonwolf wrote:Hey with the time chips that we had on, will the results of the ride be published some where?

I had a great day, the 85km tough, but the climb really challenged alot of our group

W
Got an email with my time.

The 85k results are here:

http://www.tomatoresults.com.au/Results ... 8038&EId=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:41 pm

To add to the impression of a hastily thrown-together event, the pdf file finisher's certificate says

"CONGRATUALTIONS".

:roll:
Nobody younger than <del>27</del> 28 has experienced a month cooler than the 20th century average.