TBE - 1 Day Mega Sale?

Aushiker

TBE - 1 Day Mega Sale?

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:00 pm

G'day

The word is that TBE Osborne Park (maybe other stores) have a 1 day sale coming up on Saturday with 50% off most stock. I was told that there may be a big influx of stock as well.

This is unconfirmed and I have no other details, but maybe worth checking them out on Saturday.

Andrew

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:03 pm

Just what I didn't want to hear :-P

Please keep us updated if you hear any more news mate.

reeves

Postby reeves » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:07 pm

got 30%off a bike yesterday not too bad not going in there next week incase there is more off

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:15 am

If we got 30% off a bike and 50% off a trainer last Saturday, my guess is that they are open to suggestion at the moment!! :D

Matty

Postby Matty » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:09 pm

I didn't manage to make it to TBE today. Did anyone go? Bargains to be had?

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:43 pm

Specialized Rockhopper Disc 29er inc bottle and carrier, 1220 down to 840, run out spesh, I am happy with that and the wheels are flippin' huge ! :P

DaveW

Postby DaveW » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:14 pm

I was in there last Thursday and they wouldn't talk price on the Blade 4.0 that I was looking at - not impressed with the bike in the end ayway.

And my B-i-L and me both thought the general attitude was "We have a big bike shop and people will just walk in and buy from us".

We both were less than impressed - but if the prices are good enough it is worth a bit of attitude. :roll:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:40 am

Matty wrote:I didn't manage to make it to TBE today. Did anyone go? Bargains to be had?
I have had to messages on the sale both from staff members. One it was Saturday and one it starts next Wednesday. Go figure ...

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:41 am

DaveW wrote:I was in there last Thursday and they wouldn't talk price on the Blade 4.0 that I was looking at - not impressed with the bike in the end ayway.
Which store? They are all not the same ...

Andrew

senator52

Postby senator52 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:46 pm

I went into TBE Osborne Park, Nedlands and Belmont.

TBE Osborne Park didnt have much 'on sale', but I mentioned I had seen a CAAD 9 on sale elsewhere, what could they do for me, and suddenly - 30% off :lol: so yeah, the sale prices can already be had, but they arent signed yet. A couple of bikes have the occasional 10, 20% off signs on them.

Strange that Moo said she got 30% the Look 555 for Mr Moo, I went into Oz Park and all they would do was give me 20% off. So I went to Belmont and got it 30% discounted... :wink:

I went to Nedlands as well, found it to be very slim pickings in a 56 size.

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:41 pm

gsxrboy wrote:Specialized Rockhopper Disc 29er inc bottle and carrier, 1220 down to 840, run out spesh, I am happy with that and the wheels are flippin' huge ! :P
And here is Daisy !

(today at Carinyah)

I have only done 400km in the last two months and my fitness has dropped quite a lot!

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:46 pm

Dirty already :D How do you find the ride with larger wheels?

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:23 pm

It's been probably 9 months since I rode my old Boulder SE and more like 18 months since I rode it on that trail, so it's impossible for me to say .. "yes it's so much better than a 26er"" etc because that also wouldn't be indicative of a low end Boulder vs a better quality 26er to start with. All road riding since August 07, not much of that recently and being my first mtb ride in a while, meant I was pretty casual and not going too hardcore, or any amount of any kind of core really :P , but it did go through all the pea gravel pretty well and certainly felt pretty damn stable and planted. Much more so than I remember the other mtb being, which might find it's way into a family members hand to get him into riding, then he might progress to a flatbar roadie (he isn't interested in a dropbar at all). As always it's horses for courses and each likes different things, but it was a nice ride for sure and I can see why people rave about them, even at my more leisurely pace today.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:37 pm

gsxrboy wrote:
gsxrboy wrote:Specialized Rockhopper Disc 29er inc bottle and carrier, 1220 down to 840, run out spesh, I am happy with that and the wheels are flippin' huge ! :P
And here is Daisy !
That is sweet! Really nice colour and I love the wheels!

Andrew

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:11 pm

gsxrboy wrote:And here is Daisy !
Cool! Lovely bike there.

I can see a BNA MTB get-together soon ..... REAL soon .... ;)

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

cray-

Postby cray- » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:38 pm

gsxrboy: sweet ride, love the color.
Kalgrm wrote: I can see a BNA MTB get-together soon ..... REAL soon .... ;)
I was just looking at my Avanti Hotdog the other day and felt sorry that I hadn't ridden it at all since I got the roadie [9 months+]. It's got slicks on it and never really got much offroad attention anyway, so I thought maybe it's time to put the knobbies back on and explore the Perth hills a bit.

Any suggestions? I've never really ventured out that way. I'd be keen for a casual group ride, though I dunno about rain and mud. This week coming looks to be very wet :( Fitness has dropped off quite a bit lately, didn't get to ride anything for over a month due to general busyness, so nothing too hardcore. Maybe we should start a new thread to talk dates/locations.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:58 am

cray- wrote: I thought maybe it's time to put the knobbies back on and explore the Perth hills a bit.

Any suggestions? .... Maybe we should start a new thread to talk dates/locations.
Definitely! My weekends are busy for the next few though, so I'm not sure how much use I'll be in setting a date. (Edit: new thread started)

Don't worry about the rain. It actually improves the tracks, firming up the pea-gravel. Riding the single tracks in the Perth hills is best done in winter.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

DaveW

Postby DaveW » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:27 pm

Aushiker wrote:
DaveW wrote:I was in there last Thursday and they wouldn't talk price on the Blade 4.0 that I was looking at - not impressed with the bike in the end ayway.

Andrew
Ossie Park - that was the heading on the thread! :wink:

And I looked at the Blade, and a Giant, and asked if they had anything else that would suit - got very little help, and specifically asked if they had any deals going or could do anything for me - got no hint of any discount, and little assistance really.

I really got the impression that they were taking for granted that people would come into their big flash store and buy from them, so they didn't have to try too hard.
And the young guy who served me appeared to little more than I do! :roll:

I didn't have time to check out the other stores.

Oh yeah and the Ossie park store didn't reply to an e-mail I set them about three weeks ago either.
But they are the closest of them to me.

I bought from my local anyway - they have been really helpful and they gave me a good discount on the new bike, and an upgade on a few bits too.

I'm happy, and as I said - if you can get a serious discount then it is worth going to a place that doesn't seem to care too much. :wink:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:04 pm

DaveW wrote:
Aushiker wrote:

Andrew
Ossie Park - that was the heading on the thread! :wink:
Ah , actually the heading (subject line) is "TBE - 1 Day Mega Sale." I should know, I wrote it :wink:. I then went on and said, "TBE Osborne Park (maybe other stores)" so I think my question was a valid one.

I know two of the younger staff at TBE Osborne Park. Both race, with one of them coming third in the State Championships on the weekend. I don't know who you spoke to but I would say both of them have a bit of clue about what they are talking about and I have taken their advice on board in making my latest purchase (not from TBE Osborne Park either).

Also one of them rides a Look so he must have a clue :)

Cheers
Andrew

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:32 pm

I got one bloke in ossie park a couple of weeks ago who kept saying "oh ok" in a yank-ish accent. When I asked if anyne knew about trainers, he said the manager might, but then just stood there - I expected his next sentence to be "let me just grab him for you".

The same guy asked me what I rode. When I told him, he looked blank and said that he didn't know much about them as they don't stock them. I almost countered with "you don't know much about these and you do stock them" but let it ride!! When we asked about the wheels on Mr Moo's new steed he said they were pretty good. That's all. Not what they are designed for, no questions about what riding he is planning, just "they are pretty good"!!

I have found in all stores, there are things I know more about than anyone. I find this annoying as, if it were me, I would try to learn as much about all stuff on the floor as I could. But that's because I'm interested.

And I don't think being a racer qualifies people for knowing a bit. I don't race, but about certain things I know more than anyone I've ever met in a store. Some things I'm on a par with. Anything mechanical, I know nothing but I don't need to.

I think it comes down to interest in the products being sold. When I was in Elite looking at the Tacx trainer, a guy set it up for me to play with. He had to get help as he hadn't done it before. No worries. Then he kept looking at it and eventually I had to get off and give him a go as he was so interested in what he was seeing!! I don't mind that he didn't know everything - he admitted that and was able to get assistance. What I liked was the interest (absorbed?) in the new "toy". This will always get my vote. Shame that $$ was a critical buying factor.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:40 pm

moosterbounce wrote:And I don't think being a racer qualifies people for knowing a bit. I don't race, but about certain things I know more than anyone I've ever met in a store.
I guess my point didn't come across well but both guys are into racing and are in to bikes so at least have some interest in the area, but then they are young too :) For both of them this is a job in an area they like (cycling) which helps them get through uni.

I suspect we forget too what we where like then and also forget sometimes just how off putting we can be. Also at least with one of them, he only works Saturdays at the bike shop. Hardly warrants putting in hours to be right up on everything ... cost versus benefit. I know I wouldn't be too bothered given the dollars paid.

Andrew

DaveW

Postby DaveW » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:00 pm

Hey, I have been trying to make it plain that I don't think they should be disregarded, but both my B-i-L and I got the same impression.

And the kid who served me looked to be about 15 and I wouldn't have said he looked fit enough to be a racer. Could of course be wrong, but he just didn't seem to know much, and couldn't give me more than what I consider to be a basic answer to questions.

Not to know the store overall, and as I said, if the price is good enough then who cares about service, but my experience there has been underwhelming to say the least. :wink:

I know of people who ahve bought there and agree in general too - but they bought because of the good price they could get on the bike they wanted.

I am sure that there are great people there, but I missed 'em.

You don't build a rep like they have on the service I got.

acorn

Postby acorn » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:37 pm

tbe only look after you if u are spending money. any most bike stores it is the same thing. But they did help me out with some aleen bolts for my bike rack.

Is the sale still on at tbe or is it finished?

DaveW

Postby DaveW » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:13 am

acorn wrote:tbe only look after you if u are spending money. any most bike stores it is the same thing. But they did help me out with some aleen bolts for my bike rack.

Is the sale still on at tbe or is it finished?
Yep that is so true of so many shops, not just bike shops.

But I put a deposit on a bike the next day, at a shop that has been willing to talk and answer all my stupid questions.

I had a friends who was looking at a Toyota Supra (about 20 years ago) and because he was dressed in Jeans and a T-Shirt the salesman thought he was just a timewaster and treated him like an idiot, answering his questions with stupid responses.
He ended up calling manager telling him he was going down the road to pay cash for an an RX-7 - which he did.
It doesn't pay to assume to much. :wink:

acorn

Postby acorn » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:15 pm

so is the sale still on?

i presume not