Places to live in Melbourne

Lazyweek

Places to live in Melbourne

Postby Lazyweek » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:43 pm

Hello,

My girlfriend and I should be moving to Melbourne early next year. Work will be at the University of Melbourne and we would like to live relatively close by. Being able to have a nice ride from home to work would be great. Any advice? A safe, bike-friendly suburb would be great!

Thanks

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Places to live in Melbourne

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:32 pm

Brunswick, Carlton, Fitzroy are all pretty bike friendly from my experiences riding through them.

Footscray is a little further out but seems to be developing nicely in the friendly stakes. Getting to the CBD is quick and easy from there.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:02 am

Moving to Coburg next year. It's a touch further out than Brunswick and Carlton etc, but with a corresponding price difference and still a nice ride into town. Good amenity too (food, coffee, parks for the dog and our soul, quiet streets). We set Bell St as our Northerly border.

Footscray was initially on the list for proximity, value and amenity, but my wife got a job in Heidelburg (the other side of the city) so we ruled it out.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:39 am

The inner north of melb, from Flemington to the West to Northcote as far as Fairfield to the East is bike heaven. Flat. decent roads. interconnected bike paths if you get sick of roads and are happy for a slower commute.

Check out this map of the Capital City trail which loops from Fed Sq and back again via Richmond in the East, up through Abbotsford, then east/west along the Park St bike path, down back to Flemington, and then Southbank. The trail goes just north of royal pde, so close to Melb Uni. If you lived anywhere close to this path, you will have a car free commute via bike to the Uni (via north/south Canning St, or even Royal Parade on road bike path) .

http://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/media/ ... %20map.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think Fairfield is a little more affordable rent wise than some of the trendier inner noth suburbs. Its boring, but close to some of the action. And also close to Heidelberg.

Edit: Just noticed that the OP's gf doesn't work in Heidelberg. Woops.
Last edited by misterhorsey on Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:44 am

btw, + Coburg (as per Westcoast Pete), + Thornbury, +Brunswick

Even as far as Preston. Just depends how far you'd like to commute.

Good luck with it!

sloth

Postby sloth » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:34 am

Depends on if you're buying or renting of course and what your price point is. I live in west footscray and I think the west is great for cycling and cycle commuting to the CBD. No hills though - but we have plenty of headwind to make up for that. Other western burbs worth a look are williamstown, Newport, yarraville, kingsville, seddon, west footscray .... All have easy access to bike paths to the CBD.

Lazyweek

Postby Lazyweek » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:19 am

Thanks for your advice everyone. It is hard work!