New helmet time

goudgey

New helmet time

Postby goudgey » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:38 am

Hi all,
It's time for me to buy a new helmet and I'm after reviews, both positive and negative, on the myriad of helmets available.
I'm willing to spend up to $300-ish for the right lid and would like some advice as to which are currently the better helmets on the market.

Three I'm interested in are:
_ Specialized Prevail
_ Catlike Kompact
_ Kask Vertigo

Any others worth investigating?
I'm moving on from a Lazer Magma which is reasonably light but very bulky with poor ventilation.
Naturally I'll be trying before buying to ensure the helmet fits and is comfortable and I'm only interested in buying local, not from OS on-line retailers.
Thanks,
Mark

reefer

Re: New helmet time

Postby reefer » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:45 am

I have the prevail for the last 8 weeks. Nice and light and of course it fits me well.

I don’t really rate the hyped ventilation at all. Maybe I don’t ride fast enough :P.

The forehead sweat band / padding does a good job for 1-2 hours or so, but after that the sweat fills my glasses as did my old cheap bell. I do tend to do all my riding between 10am and 3pm up here in Townsville though.

Overall I feel ok with this purchase, mainly for the lightweight nice fit.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:34 am

reefer wrote:I have the prevail for the last 8 weeks. Nice and light and of course it fits me well.

I don’t really rate the hyped ventilation at all. Maybe I don’t ride fast enough :P.

The forehead sweat band / padding does a good job for 1-2 hours or so, but after that the sweat fills my glasses as did my old cheap bell. I do tend to do all my riding between 10am and 3pm up here in Townsville though.

Install one of these under your helmet, you'll never get sweat in your eyes ever again and your helmet will stay fresh and clean. The peak will give the top half of your face a little bit of sun protection as well.

http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/index.p ... oductId=70" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:42 pm

When I went in-store to buy my bike and accessories (including a helmet) the sales guy did not tell me any prices but instead got me to try on every helmet they had in and around my set price range (which was quite a few) and discard the one's that didn't feel comfortable.
Once I'd culled them down to about 4 he told me the pricing and we went through the pro's and cons of them all.

The one that felt the most comfortable on my noggin was the MET Inferno, though some of the Bell and Giro helmets looked nicer they didn't feel as nice to wear....so the MET came home with me and it's done the job thus far.

I'd most certainly try on all the helmets you've listed but perhaps have a look at some others in the store to see how they feel as well....as you just never know.

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

Secret Squirrel

Postby Secret Squirrel » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:07 pm

reefer wrote:I have the prevail for the last 8 weeks. Nice and light and of course it fits me well.

Thats hard work riding in the Townsville desert at that time of day. Good work. 8)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:41 pm

jacks1071 wrote:

Install one of these under your helmet, you'll never get sweat in your eyes ever again and your helmet will stay fresh and clean. The peak will give the top half of your face a little bit of sun protection as well.

http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/index.p ... oductId=70" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Halo bandanna, works really great under the helmet with a rubber rand at the front that stops sweat running into your eyes.

I am hoping that my new Specialized S3 will render this a bit superfluous though :wink:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:43 pm

I bought a Limar Ultralight a month or two ago. Light weight was my goal - had been having one or two neck issues with a heavy old clunker of a helmet. The Limar is the lightest you can get and I have been very impressed with how comfortable it is. I have quite an oval head and it fits me a bit better than a Giro and much better than my Catlike.

Ventilation is okay, not fantastic but other than that highly recommended. Cycling Express have them for about $160.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:04 pm

scirocco wrote:I bought a Limar Ultralight a month or two ago. Light weight was my goal - had been having one or two neck issues with a heavy old clunker of a helmet. The Limar is the lightest you can get and I have been very impressed with how comfortable it is. I have quite an oval head and it fits me a bit better than a Giro and much better than my Catlike.

Ventilation is okay, not fantastic but other than that highly recommended. Cycling Express have them for about $160.
Out of interest did it help with your sore neck and do you know what the weight difference was between the new and old?
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:36 pm

I spent weeks looking for a new helmet. I tried on just about every brand available in my city until I found the "cinderella" fit. Forget reviews, etc just find the model that suits your noggin and then use price/looks as a guide.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:49 pm

nickdos wrote:I spent weeks looking for a new helmet. I tried on just about every brand available in my city until I found the "cinderella" fit. Forget reviews, etc just find the model that suits your noggin and then use price/looks as a guide.
Yep, this one. I had a budget and ended up picking up the top Bontrager because the comfort was SO MUCH BETTER. I was open to MET and Lazer and they just didn't fit my head.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:10 pm

ive had the catlike kompact the last year, very good helmet, good ventilation. Light weight.

Having a look at the new kask helmets, i like their retention system, seems like it can stay on your head without the chin strap nearly!

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:18 pm

I've been riding a Prevail for a while now, and looks aside (bit mushroomy on my head) it's the best feeling and best fitting and lightest helmet I've ever had.
$299 RRP isn't cheap, but it's a good investment.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:20 pm

I love my Specialized S3. Great fit with super-secure retention. It is better ventilated than a cotton sun hat. I have ridden it on very hot days with minimal sweat dripping problems.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

sparkyscott

Postby sparkyscott » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:29 pm

Kask Vertigo for me thanks - pricing seems to have settled to $299 at most places now. Was over $300 not too long ago.

Beautiful comfort for my noggin.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:44 pm

I haven't tried one on so cannot comment on the fit, but these Rudy Project Windmax helmets look the goods, and the Australian price is quite reasonable I think.

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

warren.suen

Postby warren.suen » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:12 pm

Hi, if your in sydney head to Cell bikes. they have a whole bunch of Kask Helmets for sale.

I brought the Kask K.50 and i found it to be SUPER adjustable and you'll get a nice bit of change back from the $300 mark

Shred931

Postby Shred931 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:49 pm

I bought a Bell Volt just prior to Christmas. Its the most comfortable helmet i've ever worn. It was $250 from the Bike Barn in Parra.

JessicaAlba

Postby JessicaAlba » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:33 pm

I'm under a Limar 777. Fits my head really well, very light, great ventilation and didn't break the bank, as some will.

I suggest as long as it meets necessary safety standards, personal fit and budget, any helmet is as good as another... So it really comes down to whichever you look good wearing, lol.
Felt F2/DuraAce/FSA/DA C35s/Gatorskins

2014 Scott Addict Team Issue/DA9000/Syncros RL1.1/Zipp 404/Gatorskins

boss

Postby boss » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:24 am

A point of interest on this topic is that Big W sell helmets for around $18 that have easily removable Australian standards stickers - they don't self destruct when peeled. Make of that tidbit what you will.

The cheapest ones they sell ($9-12) do self destruct.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:32 am

lol.

the Aus Standards sticker slid off my $300 S-Works helmet a day after I bought it.
I didn't attempt to remove it - it was halve hanging off and literally just slid off.

"For Sale - brand new, unused Aus Standards sticker"

$100 ono.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:54 am

JessicaAlba wrote:I'm under a Limar 777. Fits my head really well, very light, great ventilation and didn't break the bank, as some will.

I suggest as long as it meets necessary safety standards, personal fit and budget, any helmet is as good as another... So it really comes down to whichever you look good wearing, lol.

Hi JessicaAlba,
I think you have managed to see through the hype of helmet envy. The only difference I see in helmets is the amount of air passing through them, and the fitting of the thing to your head. They all don't weigh much these days, and if you believe the Aus standards blurb they all pass the same test in an impact.

But a nice red $300-00 helmet hanging off the bars impresses at the coffee shop...... :D
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:50 pm

I need a new helmet too - and I'll be trying plenty on. My current Catlike is great but I dislike the straps, and have read reviews where the reviewer did not like the straps.

Basically I found that the straps had a way of needing to be adjusted almost everytimg I put it on. Anyway other than that fantastic, and that might be unique to the Catlike Neon I have.

Any truth to the rumor that if you wash your hair with shampoo, then throw your helmet on before you rinse on a weekly basis it keep said helmet clean and smelling good?

JM

JessicaAlba

Postby JessicaAlba » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:40 pm

outnabike wrote:
JessicaAlba wrote:I'm under a Limar 777. Fits my head really well, very light, great ventilation and didn't break the bank, as some will.

Hi JessicaAlba,
I think you have managed to see through the hype of helmet envy. The only difference I see in helmets is the amount of air passing through them, and the fitting of the thing to your head. They all don't weigh much these days, and if you believe the Aus standards blurb they all pass the same test in an impact.

But a nice red $300-00 helmet hanging off the bars impresses at the coffee shop...... :D
Absolutely. Although, I do think I'd balk at an $18 BigW special... Imo, any of the $70 - $150 range are going to be more than adequate.

And what would be ideal, would be to have the price tag still attached to said $300 helmet, just so there is no doubt as to its awesomeness :mrgreen:
Felt F2/DuraAce/FSA/DA C35s/Gatorskins

2014 Scott Addict Team Issue/DA9000/Syncros RL1.1/Zipp 404/Gatorskins

Tbird

Postby Tbird » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:45 pm

Back when I started riding my Kmart helmet rocked LOL .......found out quickly that a jock strap band is not agood adjusting system since then I've purchase a BBB Taurus which was a huge improvement.

Since November I finally bit the bullet and bought a Kask Mojito (isn't that a cocktail :D ) bloody great helmet with great fit and comfort plus you look cool I also wear caps underneath as it helps in sweat, sun, rain etc plus it's Italy Made which must make it special LOL
2013 Kona Paddy Wagon
2012 BH Ultralight Enve
2011 GT Zaskar Carbon Pro
2007 Apollo Record
2009 Apollo Record

b1

Postby b1 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:05 pm

I was about to jump on the cell bikes deal for a catlike whisper, but looks like they are either sold out or don't stock them anymore. Anyone know who might stock them in Sydney?