newb pedal question.

pembo6

newb pedal question.

Postby pembo6 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:25 pm

Are MTB clipless pedals the same as road clipless pedals?

I know the shoes are different. But just wondering if the actual pedals/clips are the same.

Ie, could road clipless pedals be used with MTB shoes.

Thanks

adamr

Re: newb pedal question.

Postby adamr » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:47 pm

Generally no.

Mountain bike clipless systems are commonly used on road bikes and commuter bikes, but rarely the other way. The reason is that road clipless pedals generally take 'three bolt' cleats, which need 'three bolt' compatible shoes. Most mountain bike pedals have much smaller cleats that take only two bolts. The smaller cleats let shoes be more like normal shoes, but gives a bit less stability on the pedals, reducing power (or that is the theory -- I have never tested it). I know that my MTB shoes (with Shimano SPD) have semi-flexible soles and look like normal sneakers. My road bike shoes (with Shimano SPD-SL -- not the same thing as SPD) have rigid soles and are not convenient to walk in.

If you want to share shoes between road and mountain bike, then look for a mountain bike system like SPD. You can get road versions of those pedals which have a wider platform to simulate a 'proper' road bike pedal.

pembo6

Postby pembo6 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:45 pm

Thanks adamr.

That makes sense.

beroz

Postby beroz » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:51 pm

If you decide to go with SPD and want a pedal that you can use with sneakers etc.. take a look at the shimano A530 or m series, SPD on one side and platform for normal shoes on the other.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:56 pm

beroz wrote:If you decide to go with SPD and want a pedal that you can use with sneakers etc.. take a look at the shimano A530 or m series, SPD on one side and platform for normal shoes on the other.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
I'm using A-530's on my roadie and they work really well.
Very handy when riding thru the CBD and you need to stop/start alot as I find I can keep my right foot clipped in and use the flat of the pedal with my left foot.

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

nethern

Postby nethern » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:23 pm

I wonder, is cleat system good idea on a mountain bike? I mean, when sliding happens, feet are locked to the pedal, can't act quick enough to avoid injury.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:05 pm

YES! The improvement in control is brilliant. The key is to practice at the local footy oval for a while before hitting the trails. With a bit of effort, unclipping becomes instinctive.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

nethern

Postby nethern » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:32 am

thank you for the posts. but how to do the practice? on and off thousand times?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:04 pm

Pretty much. Start with the bindings at minimum tension and park the bike in a doorway somewhere so you are supported. In and out on both sides of both pedals a couple of dozen times then progress to the footy ground and do the same thing at low speed. Repeat for a few days and you should be pretty much good to go. (Note, the chances of you stacking at least once because you forgot to unclip coming to a stop are pretty high) To be honest, there's three types of clipless rider. Those who have clipstacked, those who will soon and those who are too embarrassed to admit it. :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:06 pm

Oh yeah, try not to look at the pedal when clipping in or indeed thinking too much about the procedure once you start to feel confident, better it becomes an instinctive action.
London Boy 29/12/2011

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:16 pm

nethern wrote:I wonder, is cleat system good idea on a mountain bike? I mean, when sliding happens, feet are locked to the pedal, can't act quick enough to avoid injury.
You'll learn to unclip automatically when you come to a stop or lose too much speed or traction on a climb.

You'll gain not only in pedalling efficiency, but your feet won't slide off the pedals mashing when standing up, and you can kick your heels up with the pedals in the 3 and 9 o'clock positions to get the rear wheel over obstacles.

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:31 pm

Check out the Time Atac XS's.
The self cleaning ability for MTB off road is very good plus you get some sideways float that you don't get from SPD so they are kinder on your knees.
I also run Time Atac XS's on the daily commuter & the road Bike.

I have Shimano M183 MTB Shoes and use these across all my bikes, (note that I have removed the front studs and replaced them with blanking studs, pay the extra for the stud removal tool and blanking plugs else with the original studs on tar the shoes are skitish when walking on toes). Would recommend that you get atleast this level of shoe they have a carbon fibre reinforced stiff sole and have the ratchet close top strap + two towards toes velco straps.

Rob

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:16 am

pembo6 wrote:Are MTB clipless pedals the same as road clipless pedals?

I know the shoes are different. But just wondering if the actual pedals/clips are the same.

Ie, could road clipless pedals be used with MTB shoes.
Naah man, they're nothing alike. I race heaps of triathlon and just started mountain biking a few months ago. MTB pedals are very different; rather than using a sudden leg twist to unclip them, they unclip more like a watch buckle, very easy and gradual. I went too sharp into a sandy corner on Sunday and dropped the bike - walked straight out of it. My mate behind me was wondering how the F I managed to walk straight out of a stack, and land on my feet. Coming back to road clip-ins feels VERY difficult - I can hardly unclip them because I'm so used to the ease of MTB unclipping now.

Even when I try to go up rocks and find I'm not going fast enough (and need to unclip to avoid stacking it), it's easy to unclip, and has pretty much become instinctive. I use the Ultegra pedals (easiest unclip setting) for my tri bike and crankbros for MTB (whatever setting they came with in the box).
What are these salesmen peddling?