Moron Motorists #3

hannos

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby hannos » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:55 pm

Kenzo wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:You should really consider reporting that second incident mate.
Shouldn't consider it, you should do it. Road rage and menacing behavior.
+1
Time to visit the police station I reckon.
2010 BMC SLC01

AndyTheMan

Postby AndyTheMan » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:22 pm

x1000 on reporting that one to the coppers.

In recent dealings with my local police, they commented that they consider the most serious cases the ones where people deliberately try to cause incidents (ie not an accident, not a lack of concentration, but a deliberate attempt to do you some damage)

That is exactly what you have here. That guy DELIBERATELY stopped, then tried to clean you up with the trailer.

I'd be off to the cop shop with a written statement for sure!

If every cyclist that had this sort of footage went to the boys in blue, it might sort a few of them out....

(imagine if he only has a few points left on his license, and this is the final nail the loses it for him....)

(alternatively, what if this retard kills the next cyclist he drives past with his magic "look at me, i've got a 4X4 to account for my small !!! spammer !!!" attitude

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:34 pm

AndyTheMan wrote: In recent dealings with my local police, they commented that they consider the most serious cases the ones where people deliberately try to cause incidents (ie not an accident, not a lack of concentration, but a deliberate attempt to do you some damage)
+ 1
AndyTheMan wrote:(imagine if he only has a few points left on his license, and this is the final nail the loses it for him....)
i suspect this is more often the case than we might otherwise think. people who try this sort of thing on are unlikely to be doing it for the first time - they think the rules don't apply to them and they own the road.

boss

Postby boss » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:50 pm

I had a moron cyclist the other day, possibly the first time a cyclist has gotten me hot and bothered while driving.

So I'm driving past a busy suburban shopping centre (Mitcham, SA) on Saturday, probably going 30kmph because it's a bit busy. But I'm travelling along, no intention to stop.

I'm approaching a car park exit where it's quite banked up. There is only one lane in and one lane out, and there is a car waiting to turn out of the carpark. I'm driving past, he can see me, so he's waiting there patiently.

As I'm Just passing the car, an older gentleman on a touring style bike (flat bar, pannier bags) comes out of the car park and turns left. I had to jam on the brakes so I didn't hit him... not only did he come out of the carpark, but he did so with such speed that he couldn't hold a line close to the curb, and was in the middle of my lane! I'd estimate he was doing between 15-20kmph, no braking and didn't check for cars.

I gave him a toot - he didn't turn around, wave to say sorry, anything. No acknowledgement

Then a bit further up, I'm driving along about to overtake and he veers into the middle of the road (no indication). I beep him again, and he then decides to put his arm out.

Bloody idiot.

The second 'veer out' wasn't the end of the world - really it was icing on the cake - but when he pulled out of the carpark, it was really quite close and he could have been seriously hurt if I was traveling a bit faster or wasn't paying attention.

And mate - if you're on this forum - you should take a good, hard look at yourself. You ride like an idiot. Especially around those shops on a Saturday morning 2 weeks before Christmas. I wouldn't mind a chat with you, to be honest, because even if you don't care about your own life, you could have created quite a traumatic situation for both my fiance and I.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:54 pm

jimboss wrote:As I'm Just passing the car, an older gentleman on a touring style bike (flat bar, pannier bags) comes out of the car park and turns left.
shouldn't he have been a roadie in lycra? :twisted:

boss

Postby boss » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:05 pm

jules21 wrote:
jimboss wrote:As I'm Just passing the car, an older gentleman on a touring style bike (flat bar, pannier bags) comes out of the car park and turns left.
shouldn't he have been a roadie in lycra? :twisted:
you don't wear lycra to the shops, talk about fashion faux paux.

well, at least I don't. hahhaa :mrgreen:

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:44 pm

That ute with the trailer on the hill would have been frightening...

Nothing much to this one. Just regular entitled fool driving along on the wrong side of the road over a pedestrian crossing outside a school (just after school zone hours).

Calder St, Rydalmere.

I wouldn't have bothered posting it except she (it was a she) turned right not even 50m up the street. I was doing about 30kmh through that section and it's a 50 zone so I would have delayed her by maybe 1 second. Possibly 2.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:09 pm

Don't forget she's over double lines - the classic rule-breaker that 90%+ motorists will blatantly do because "must-get-past-cyclist" :roll: :roll: :evil:

If I was you I'd take this footage along to the local plod and get a couple of books thrown at her.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:12 pm

il padrone wrote:Don't forget she's over double lines - the classic rule-breaker that 90%+ motorists will blatantly do because "must-get-past-cyclist" :roll: :roll: :evil:
I believe the cyclist MADE her do it. Quite obviously you cut out the part of the video where you pulled a gun on her and made her drive illegally.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:59 pm

il padrone wrote:Don't forget she's over double lines - the classic rule-breaker that 90%+ motorists will blatantly do because "must-get-past-cyclist" :roll: :roll: :evil:

If I was you I'd take this footage along to the local plod and get a couple of books thrown at her.
You and me both. If you do go to plod over it, highlight the school zone side of things.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

HiChris

Postby HiChris » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:55 pm

Has a bus brush my elbow yesterday morning on Old Cleveland Rd Camp Hill. Caught up to him a couple of lights later, gently tapped on his door and politely suggested that he was too close since he actually made contact. He waved me off and drove away.

Was a little disconcerting, I have no doubt that that contact would have been enough to make some people crash and possibly end up under his back wheels. No video as I don't use a camera but I am in the process of reporting this to the bus company

westab

Postby westab » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:14 pm

Mulger bill wrote:

You and me both. If you do go to plod over it, highlight the school zone side of things.
+1 I would report that too - not only is it dangerous to any road user coming the other way, anyone on the ped. crossing it is also dangerous to you. I had a situation like this where a fool in a Hilux ute overtake on a blind bend and as a car came the other way he simply moved in as I was half way between his wheels (I stopped before being road pizza). We were both headed to the swimming centre where my kids swim less than 500m away. I let him leave his car so as not to vent my anger in a conflict and called the police. I didn't have a camera but his car did. The police officer paged him and viewed the camera then used it to charge him.

When I call his company the next morning I didn't get anywhere - he was the owner; so I was glad of the police - they were just great.

I am now thinking of a camera - along with a sign to "smile for the camera" on the back of my rack.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:43 pm

Ozkaban wrote:That ute with the trailer on the hill would have been frightening...

Nothing much to this one. Just regular entitled fool driving along on the wrong side of the road over a pedestrian crossing outside a school (just after school zone hours).

Calder St, Rydalmere.

I wouldn't have bothered posting it except she (it was a she) turned right not even 50m up the street. I was doing about 30kmh through that section and it's a 50 zone so I would have delayed her by maybe 1 second. Possibly 2.
Ermington Police... go get em tiger. :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

zero

Postby zero » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:55 pm

There was huge clearance to the only vulnerable road user present, its hardly an enforcement worthy event. If the camera user had been driving their car instead of riding, (and thus obscuring a good proportion of the crossing), then yes I would understand the desire for enforcement, as that move could not be made safe in such circumstances.

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:33 pm

zero wrote:There was huge clearance to the only vulnerable road user present, its hardly an enforcement worthy event. If the camera user had been driving their car instead of riding, (and thus obscuring a good proportion of the crossing), then yes I would understand the desire for enforcement, as that move could not be made safe in such circumstances.
um, what part of double un-broken white lines do you not understand?
2010 BMC SLC01

westab

Postby westab » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:50 pm

zero wrote:There was huge clearance to the only vulnerable road user present, its hardly an enforcement worthy event. If the camera user had been driving their car instead of riding, (and thus obscuring a good proportion of the crossing), then yes I would understand the desire for enforcement, as that move could not be made safe in such circumstances.
Zero you may well be right but according to the two close friends I have who are police officers the reason we have accidents on hte roads is due to the habit of breaking the rules.

Usually the reason we get ourselves into trouble is the habit rather than the once off. This is the reason for the points system we have - to allow for a few small mistakes that we learn from and don't repeat. If the lexus driver has made this mistake once they will hopfully learn and not repeat it (keeping us all safe) - if it is a habit of breaking the rules and they are running out of points it may still keep us safe by not allowing them to continue to take control of a lethal instrument.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

boss

Postby boss » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:22 pm

Double white lines are there for a reason.

I've been overtaken by cars where double white lines exist, only for car to come in the opposite direction.

The car that is overtaking me invariably hits cyclist rather than oncoming car.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:39 pm

hannos wrote:
um, what part of double un-broken white lines do you not understand?
Ahhh, the bit that says Do. Not. Overtake.?

You and me Hannos? Brain surgery session tomorrow morning? :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

arkle

Postby arkle » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:57 pm

Goodness gracious me no wonder car drivers think we're a set of arrogant hypocritical whingers

what a joke
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

malnar

Postby malnar » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:43 pm

Something a bit different:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/Kh7FrhFTosM [/youtube]

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:50 pm

I was expecting to see some scrub turkey appear.... well... there was a turkey in the video :P

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:56 pm

westab wrote: If the lexus driver has made this mistake once they will hopfully learn and not repeat it (keeping us all safe) - if it is a habit of breaking the rules and they are running out of points it may still keep us safe by not allowing them to continue to take control of a lethal instrument.
Going by the style of that driver's overtake move, I'd guess that this was very much a routine bad habit. Hence why I recommended passing the footage to the police for follow-up.

Arkle, you've evidently not had the delights of being in a group of cyclists on a country road and have a nutcase driver overtake across double lines.... on a bend.... with oncoming traffic that you can see but the driver cannot..... and despite your signal to slow down, the driver pushes through anyway.

Double lines - 90+% of drivers will cross them to pass a cyclist. Must-get-past-cyclist

:roll: :evil:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:43 am

il padrone wrote:Arkle, you've evidently not had the delights of being in a group of cyclists on a country road and have a nutcase driver overtake across double lines.... on a bend.... with oncoming traffic that you can see but the driver cannot..... and despite your signal to slow down, the driver pushes through anyway.

Double lines - 90+% of drivers will cross them to pass a cyclist. Must-get-past-cyclist

:roll: :evil:
Don't now why you're directing that at Arkle.....
'Zero' should be on the receiving end of that one.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:02 am

Not really a moron incident but I was driving to work today (sorry, I am so ashamed :oops: but I did ride 50km before work 8) ) and I was driving for about 10km behind a late model Land Rover that had the rear wiper going the whole way (it wasn't raining). yes, this sounds extremely minor but for the driver to travel 10km+ and not look in rear vision mirror once and notice the wiper was on is worthy of a mention I reckon. I wonder what else they don't notice...

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:24 am

I agree that it’s concerning behaviour when motorists are oblivious to their surroundings.

Had a little incident this morning. Coming down Dornoch Terrace. Freewheeling at about 45-50 taking it easy. See up ahead in plenty of distance a Silver Yaris which parked on the left side but facing the opposite direction pulls out then loops a U-turn and stops on the opposite side of the road (now facing the wrong direction on the opposite side of the road) I sit up and slow down to about 20-25, which feels like a crawl on that long fast downhill, whilst claiming the entire lane. He then turns into my lane a touch stops, looks at me, then as if to say “it’s only a cyclist” pulls in front of me. I come to a stop, in the middle of my lane. He stops, half way blocking both lanes. I roll past the front of his car, giving him the 2 fingers to my eyes international gesture for “look what you’re doing moron!”, then he gets on the horn, like I’ve done something!

I then give him a bit of a fright, stopping, unclipping, turning back around to him and let out a few choice words and some flailing arms, not too far from the driver’s side. He quickly retreats into the driveway he was attempting to access all along, with a look of “better get outta here!”. I roll away with a bit of a giggle and enjoy my ride into work.