Should I do more????

Got Questions? Need advice?
Join other women in discussing cycling.

Re: Should I do more????

Postby kait » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:41 am

If you're only burning 200 cals on a 25k ride, you need to get your HR higher!

Do you want to share your garmin data with us, if you upload it to connect or whatever? If not that's ok! What's your average HR and max HR on your rides (and the % of max as well)?

But don't forget, you'll be building muscle when you ride, so ditch the scales as they will "lie", because you might lose fat but gain muscle, which won't result in the scales going down. Try and go by measurements, or by how your clothes feel. Pick one set of clothes that are tight on you now, and aim to fit into them so they are loose on you.

And don't give up the ice-cream, ice-cream ia good for you in moderation (just don't discover the ben & jerry's peanut butter clusterfluff that I just discovered, moderation isn't written anywhere on that tub!!!!!)

But you're doing awesomely!
User avatar
kait
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:36 pm
Location: Sydney

by BNA » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:15 pm

BNA
 

Re: Should I do more????

Postby fionahills » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:15 pm

I am afraid I can't blame the bike - its a giant advance avail? 2011 - anyway its the women's black one with purple writing- and most of it is carbon - very light - the only non racey road thing is that I have training tyres - and that contribution would be too minimal to count I suspect - its also a bit more upright position than a flat out racing style bike but really, honestly the bike is not the problem...... I also have a great seat, good comfy bike shoes and got my fit checked again the other day.

I think I just have lazy legs and have not yet learnt to hurt mysef for long enough. I don't mean this in a stupid way but realise now that a certain level of 'discomfort' does signal I am doing a bit more than I have previously, and that this increased effort is necessary to improve -

BUt how much of the 'hurt' is the right amount - I have read lots but have not been able to distill it into a plan -

I have read about effort and the different levels- my max feels like I cannot do much more without my brain exploding - my legs are burning, my is heart jumping out of my chest, and my breathing is so loud - I have done efforts like that three times now - always on hills and at the time I think I just might die!!

Should I work hard enough to feel like that for 5% of every ride - or for 25% of most rides or 75% of one ride per week - and over what amount of time should that max effort last or should it be distance based. Due to my lack of knowledge about sport fitness in general and cycling in particular I find it hard to understand what the training manuals are advocating for someone at my basic level.

I really thought that I just had to ride as many kms as I could, as often as I could and the rest woud take care of itself - obviously a lot more to it than that, if you want to see an improvement.

Not sure how to upload stuff from the garmin to the internet- but looking at the notes tab - my weekly average HR are 132,135,119,132,131 - Max for same period is 163,161,163,163,158 - my resting heart rate is 62.

On two recent rides with the litte hills that nearly killed me I had average HR of 141 max 173 and av 129 max 178 - about 40 km each ride and 566 cal burnt (average)

Not even sure I have lost any size yet - but that could be because not working hard enough - I can see a bit more muscle in my legs - they have always been 'chicken legs' but some calf there now - not much though!!

thought the link posted was good and am glad now I have an appointment with a coach on wednesday - not sure what he will tell me to do - hopefully not to get off the bike and start knitting - :roll:

Thanks again for taking an interest I really appreciate the help and the time you all take to answer my endless questions :D

Fiona
fionahills
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Sunshine Coast

Re: Should I do more????

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:44 am

You break your riding up into hard day easy days and taper off at the end of the week if, you're going to race on the weekend. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
Image
User avatar
foo on patrol
 
Posts: 4054
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:12 am
Location: Sanstone Point QLD

Re: Should I do more????

Postby Parker » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:02 pm

It would be so cool if you lived here in Perth Fiona, you sound like a women I met this weekend :)
Parker
 
Posts: 1228
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Should I do more????

Postby fionahills » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:45 pm

Hi again


have put the garmin stuff on strava - not much to look at I'm afraid as have had a rotten virus with a killer headache and some inflamation in my rib cartiledge which made me think I was having a heart attack!!! - thankfully all OK and got a big tick from hospital for taking up cycling - so got a free all over health check though it was a bit scary at the time - ribs nearly better but still got a rotten headache - so taking it easy and just going for short rides as we have Robbie McEwans Piccolo Fondo Sunday next.

Although I felt a bit off I still went to the coach on wednesday - he worked me hard and instead of 200 cal over 20 kms burnt 500 over 35 - lots of hills - not steep but challenging enough for me - found out what I am aiming for and now have a plan to work towards - he was a nice guy and was happy to help with some of the basics as well as giving me some help with pedalling technique, checking cadence and tips for getting the gearing right before I hit the hills!

didn't ride for a couple of days and today the wind nearly blew my off the bike - killer winds - so only did a 15km loop and it will be woeful -have not looked yet but what the heck there is always tomorrow :D

Hi Parker - let me know when there is a great event on in Perth - my husband works in WA - up at Tom Price area and maybe I can meet him over there and we can go for a ride - it would be lovely to meet up with some of my BNA advisers :D


fiona
fionahills
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Sunshine Coast

Re: Should I do more????

Postby Apple » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:08 pm

Man, this Fiona chick, is bringing life back into the forum, Love your posts. Keep having fun :wink:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!
User avatar
Apple
 
Posts: 3459
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:00 pm
Location: sydney

Re: Should I do more????

Postby fionahills » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:32 pm

awe thanks apple - was worrying about driving you all mad with inane drivel and endless questions....

anyway - love the bike and riding it - even lost a bit of weight - not there yet but getting close

I did the robbie Mcewan ride and made it but it was only the 50km one - very wet and tough course - would not have managed the 100...

going on local group rides with LBS and managing to keep up - only lowest level but it is a start - didn't cause anyone to crash...

practicing on hills one day a week and not much faster but can do more repeats with less rest time - still got six months before the big alpe d huez challenge....aim to ride without putting my foot down - don't care about time just not stopping.

going and watching the local crit races and would love to be good enough to ride a race one day!!! will be over 60 age group by the time I'm ready.

Managed to stand up and pedal today - yipeeeee.....also riding on the drops and not crashing even on downhills.....still not fast but did crack 25kph average on a ride recently. This is huge because I was stuck on about 19-20kph for ages. am in the big ring on the front....and sometimes can even crack 35 for a k or so.....

I love the help and support I get from BNAers - everyone is great and very kind to take the time to respond. wish i was 30 years younger - best three months am loving it.

fiona

Trying but mainly failing to get to 200 km per week - only managing about 100 or so but am riding regularly - over the bus incident and trying to be assertive on the road while still polite and friendly
fionahills
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Sunshine Coast

Re: Should I do more????

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:51 pm

fionahills wrote:awe thanks apple - was worrying about driving you all mad with inane drivel and endless questions....

anyway - love the bike and riding it - even lost a bit of weight - not there yet but getting close

I did the robbie Mcewan ride and made it but it was only the 50km one - very wet and tough course - would not have managed the 100...

going on local group rides with LBS and managing to keep up - only lowest level but it is a start - didn't cause anyone to crash...

practicing on hills one day a week and not much faster but can do more repeats with less rest time - still got six months before the big alpe d huez challenge....aim to ride without putting my foot down - don't care about time just not stopping.

going and watching the local crit races and would love to be good enough to ride a race one day!!! will be over 60 age group by the time I'm ready.

Managed to stand up and pedal today - yipeeeee.....also riding on the drops and not crashing even on downhills.....still not fast but did crack 25kph average on a ride recently. This is huge because I was stuck on about 19-20kph for ages. am in the big ring on the front....and sometimes can even crack 35 for a k or so.....

I love the help and support I get from BNAers - everyone is great and very kind to take the time to respond. wish i was 30 years younger - best three months am loving it.

fiona

Trying but mainly failing to get to 200 km per week - only managing about 100 or so but am riding regularly - over the bus incident and trying to be assertive on the road while still polite and friendly

8) :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25270
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Should I do more????

Postby Venus62 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:19 am

Hi Fiona
I'm loving reading your posts as someone of a similar age (recently turned 50) who is turning to a road bike after pottering around for several years on a hybrid. And even then only occasionally. I pick up my new bike next weekend and hope to get in some practice over the Christmas break (first time in cleats...). Hubby is a keen cyclist so is very happy to ride with me while I adapt. I've also been invited to join a local women's group so that's my aim for next year. I went up Alpe d'Huez last year but I was in the support van while hubby rode! :oops: Fantastic goal, but don't be disappointed if you have to stop. It would be an amazing effort no matter how long it took you!
Venus62
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:55 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Should I do more????

Postby fionahills » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:11 pm

Hi venus - thanks for your lovely post

keep me updated on how you go - am sure you will be fine in cleats - the fear is worse than the reality I found!!

I was terrified of the drops - wiggled all over the place until I watched my 17 yr old get straight on her new road bike in cleats from the first and proceed to ride down the road on the drops - no-one had told her that it might be difficult so she just did it.....her crank fell off the bike while she was clipped in - very bad bike build!!! and she still kept her cool... I don't ride downhill like her yet but getting better..

best of luck with your new bike - have lots of fun.

I've drove & walked up alpe d huez last year and cannot wait to ride it - wont break any records but I will be so thrilled to do it - slow and steady but I WILL GET UP....

fiona
fionahills
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Sunshine Coast

Re: Should I do more????

Postby marinmomma » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:42 pm

Venus62 wrote:Hi Fiona
I'm loving reading your posts as someone of a similar age (recently turned 50) who is turning to a road bike after pottering around for several years on a hybrid. And even then only occasionally. I pick up my new bike next weekend and hope to get in some practice over the Christmas break (first time in cleats...). Hubby is a keen cyclist so is very happy to ride with me while I adapt. I've also been invited to join a local women's group so that's my aim for next year. I went up Alpe d'Huez last year but I was in the support van while hubby rode! :oops: Fantastic goal, but don't be disappointed if you have to stop. It would be an amazing effort no matter how long it took you!


Hey there Venus62

What bike did you end up getting?
And what group are you referring to?
Good luck with the first ride with cleats...my advice is to go somewhere like the crit track at Nundah or Balmoral when it is quite so if you find unclipping difficult you can head for the grass and have a softer fall.... :wink:

I went out on to the road and if Mr MM hadn't caught me I would have fallen off in a most spectacular way at a busy intersection :oops:

If you want to get into group ride once you have the clip-ins under control, Planet Cycles have a beginners group some Saturday mornings.

Good luck!
Lisa
marinmomma
 
Posts: 1984
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:12 pm
Location: Southside Brisbane

Re: Should I do more????

Postby Venus62 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:41 pm

marinmomma wrote:Hey there Venus62

What bike did you end up getting?
And what group are you referring to?
Good luck with the first ride with cleats...my advice is to go somewhere like the crit track at Nundah or Balmoral when it is quite so if you find unclipping difficult you can head for the grass and have a softer fall.... :wink:

I went out on to the road and if Mr MM hadn't caught me I would have fallen off in a most spectacular way at a busy intersection :oops:

If you want to get into group ride once you have the clip-ins under control, Planet Cycles have a beginners group some Saturday mornings.

Good luck!


Hi Lisa
I ended up with a Merida Scultura Comp 904. I freely admit that this is a much better bike than my ability deserves but we were able to get a good deal (family connection). I had looked at one of the lower models that were women's bikes but because I am tall, the frame sizes weren't suitable. Quite certain that Mr Venus (Mars??) is using it as a baseline for his next bike purchase... I've also put some dual SPD/flat pedals on my hybrid so I can practice my cleat technique on that as well. I decided on the SPD rather than SPD-SL cleat system after doing a fair bit of reading. Main pro for me is being able to wear shoes with recessed cleats. I bought myself a pair of these which arrived today and I'm really happy with them (so far). I can also use them in spin classes to get even more practice!

The group is one that a wife of one of my husband's friends is in, who have kindly asked me to join. It will be just the kick along I need. They don't sound too intimidating! Might even join my hubby on the Brissie to GC next year. But better walk before I run.

Cheers
Venus62
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:55 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Should I do more????

Postby marinmomma » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:07 pm

That all sounds great, a WSD bike isn't for everyone and often they come with lesser components when compared to a regular bike for the same money!

Have fun riding it, may you clock up many k's together and you've got 10 months of riding before the B2GC so we will see you there :wink:
Lisa
marinmomma
 
Posts: 1984
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:12 pm
Location: Southside Brisbane

Re: Should I do more????

Postby fionahills » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:27 pm

I think it would be great if all of us from the brissie area agree to do the B2Gc next year and meet up at the end - I would offer to ride together but Lisa is a speed demon and am afraid that there is no way I could hold her wheel....

venus I hope you have great fun on your bike and if you are ever up this way would be happy to meet up for a ride and coffee.

My husband is also very keen cyclist - No complaints about all the bits and bods I have bought and he is happy to do anything that encourages me to stay on the bike...hence the trip next year.

have fun, go fast and stay safe

fiona
fionahills
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Sunshine Coast

Re: Should I do more????

Postby marinmomma » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:41 pm

fionahills wrote:I think it would be great if all of us from the brissie area agree to do the B2Gc next year and meet up at the end - I would offer to ride together but Lisa is a speed demon and am afraid that there is no way I could hold her wheel....

venus I hope you have great fun on your bike and if you are ever up this way would be happy to meet up for a ride and coffee.

My husband is also very keen cyclist - No complaints about all the bits and bods I have bought and he is happy to do anything that encourages me to stay on the bike...hence the trip next year.

have fun, go fast and stay safe

fiona



Thanks Fiona, that's very encouraging to read...I ride with some ladies that are way better than me on the bike, one races B grade with my hubby, and it gets discouraging when I'm always getting dropped within a few k's of a ride.
The fact that is she 15 years younger than me and has been riding for half her life has a lot to do with it, compared to me who got off the bike at aged 13 and didn't ride again until the age of 43, almost 3 years ago!

And give yourself another 10 months of riding and you'll be at another level in your riding too!

If I'm coming up your way I will let you know..and conversely if you are in Brisbane I'm happy to be your guide on a Riverloop...Brisbane's cycling superhighway :wink:
Lisa
marinmomma
 
Posts: 1984
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:12 pm
Location: Southside Brisbane

Re: Should I do more????

Postby Venus62 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:54 pm

What a friendly bunch you guys are! So glad I found this forum. I've done the Riverloop a few times. Hate the hill at Dutton Park but could at least stay on last time I tried. And came a cropper going around the corner near the tennis centre. To this day I have no idea how I managed to fall. Just about managed to finish the ride despite my ouchies but had enough not far from home and hubby rode home to get the car to collect me. :oops: :oops:
Venus62
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:55 am
Location: Brisbane

Postby fionahills » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:07 pm

thanks Lisa - the riverloop looks great - maybe some time after xmas I will get down there.

I am still in awe when I look at your strava times - plus you are racing!!!! great inspiration

Ouch venus road rash really hurts - I crashed when I first started and did not get back on the bike for 12 months so very brave of you to keep going.

I had forgotten how much grazes hurt - with horse accidents you either get up OK or tend to break something and end up in an ambulance - - plus my daughter and I collided so I felt stupid and responsible - mother guilt - killer..

I think its great that so many over 40s women are getting into bikes - just wish my legs were twenty years younger!! Never mind - just think by the time of B2GC I will have a full 12 months of riding under my belt and NO more newbie excuses - wonder what I can blame then.....

off to gyndier in the morning - will practice standing and pedalling - is it OK to change gears while standing up? or should I sit again first? Sorry probably a really dum question...

I have practiced on the flat in a larger gear than normal and managed OK but suspect that I will need to change down as get to about 1 km in on gyndier.

thanks again.
fionahills
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Sunshine Coast

Re: Should I do more????

Postby marinmomma » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:08 pm

Venus62 wrote:What a friendly bunch you guys are! So glad I found this forum. I've done the Riverloop a few times. Hate the hill at Dutton Park but could at least stay on last time I tried. And came a cropper going around the corner near the tennis centre. To this day I have no idea how I managed to fall. Just about managed to finish the ride despite my ouchies but had enough not far from home and hubby rode home to get the car to collect me. :oops: :oops:


Yeah I hear you re the hill...on Strava it's called Deadman's Hill...the first few times I was almost a dead woman at the top :roll:
And yes those corners after the tennis centre can be difficult especially when there's big bunches going past you at speed.

The women's section of this forum has been a bit quite for a while, nice to have some female company here!
Lisa
marinmomma
 
Posts: 1984
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:12 pm
Location: Southside Brisbane

Re:

Postby Venus62 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:16 pm

fionahills wrote:Ouch venus road rash really hurts - I crashed when I first started and did not get back on the bike for 12 months so very brave of you to keep going.


Yes it does! I think if I had stopped when it happened I wouldn't have got back on for a while either. Not fun.

fionahills wrote:I think its great that so many over 40s women are getting into bikes - just wish my legs were twenty years younger!!


That makes 2 of us!

fionahills wrote:off to gyndier in the morning - will practice standing and pedalling - is it OK to change gears while standing up? or should I sit again first? Sorry probably a really dum question...


I change while standing but don't listen to me... :roll:
Venus62
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:55 am
Location: Brisbane

Re:

Postby marinmomma » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:16 pm

fionahills wrote:thanks Lisa - the riverloop looks great - maybe some time after xmas I will get down there.

I am still in awe when I look at your strava times - plus you are racing!!!! great inspiration

<snip>

I think its great that so many over 40s women are getting into bikes - just wish my legs were twenty years younger!! Never mind - just think by the time of B2GC I will have a full 12 months of riding under my belt and NO more newbie excuses - wonder what I can blame then.....

off to gyndier in the morning - will practice standing and pedalling - is it OK to change gears while standing up? or should I sit again first? Sorry probably a really dum question...

I have practiced on the flat in a larger gear than normal and managed OK but suspect that I will need to change down as get to about 1 km in on gyndier.

thanks again.


Thanks Fiona...

Re changing gears when standing...I have no idea, I'm still working that out...
I can do short pinchy climbs out of the saddle but longer ones like Coottha I tend to stay seated in the saddle until near the very end.
And then I stop peddling when I sit down again losing some momentum so yet another thing to work on :roll:

Have fun on the hill tomorrow, I really like that climb.
Lisa
marinmomma
 
Posts: 1984
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:12 pm
Location: Southside Brisbane

Re: Re:

Postby Venus62 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:21 pm

marinmomma wrote:I really like that climb.

Now there's a sentence I can't ever imagine myself typing... Or saying.
Venus62
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:55 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Re:

Postby marinmomma » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:31 pm

Venus62 wrote:
marinmomma wrote:I really like that climb.

Now there's a sentence I can't ever imagine myself typing... Or saying.



Never say never....

You wouldn't have myself 12 months ago...now I rate Nebo, Springbrook, Beechmont as some of my favourite rides.

And as I'm so slow up the climbs I have more time to admire the views :wink:
Lisa
marinmomma
 
Posts: 1984
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:12 pm
Location: Southside Brisbane

Re: Should I do more????

Postby fionahills » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:19 pm

Venus - Don't believe her = I have seen her strava times - she is not stopping to look at the view..... :D :D

fiona
fionahills
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Sunshine Coast

Re: Should I do more????

Postby Rhubarb » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:39 pm

For what its worth, good on you all just for getting out there and enjoying yourselves. You probably should forget about times and just enjoy the ride, but I guess only you can define what makes a ride enjoyable.

At the end of the day, cycling is healthier when more women and elderly people participate. I love seeing it. You are doing it for yourselves but you're also doing it for all of us, I hope you are always made to feel that way. :-)
Rhubarb
 
Posts: 818
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Should I do more????

Postby Venus62 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:21 am

Rhubarb wrote:At the end of the day, cycling is healthier when more women and elderly people participate.

Gee, Rhubarb, I hope you aren't putting us into both of these categories! I feel old enough as it is! :lol:

Edited because I accidentally typed "are" instead of "aren't", which really isn't what I meant!
Last edited by Venus62 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Venus62
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:55 am
Location: Brisbane

PreviousNext

Return to Women's Cycling

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Support BNA
Click for online shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Cycling Express Cycling Express
Ebay Ebay AU
ProBikeKit ProBikeKit UK
Evans Cycles Evans Cycles UK
JensonUSA Jenson USA
JensonUSA Competitive Cyclist