Cycling North Sydney to Macquarie Park... Make it longer?

tigerprawn

Cycling North Sydney to Macquarie Park... Make it longer?

Postby tigerprawn » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:35 pm

Hi, I currently cycle this route http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/vKF0w0fji40 to work. It's about 15km, and I enjoy it.

I was just wondering if anyone could mention any good riding that I could tag onto the end (ie. Macquarie Park, North Ryde, etc) which could maybe take it from 15km to 30km (or more) for fitness.

The obvious is the M2, but I'm wondering if anybody else has any other suggestions. I tried to find a route this morning and ended up doing this http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/v6lwlRSPW_A

Any help would be great. Thanks

philip

Re: Cycling North Sydney to Macquarie Park... Make it longer

Postby philip » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:13 pm

Looks like you could fairly easily get into Lane Cove National Park and do a lap or two of Riverside Drive (enter from Lane Cove Rd gate)

burger

Postby burger » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:03 pm

or you could do a lap over the Coathanger, around Hickson Rd and up through the Rocks . . . .

as well as the couple of laps of Lane Cove River park!

stu.
The world is round, so what seems like the end may actually be the beginning.

le_quiet_uno

Postby le_quiet_uno » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:38 pm

Or cross the bridge and ride out toLa Perouse and back.
2009 - Current - BMC SL 01 [2009]
2008 - 2009 - Cervelo R3 [2008]
2007 - 2008 - Trek 1.4 [2005]

tigerprawn

Postby tigerprawn » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:57 pm

Thanks for all the responses... I'll have to look at these in more details (ie. don't know the coathanger etc). I've just moved down to Sydney from Brisneyland.

george-bob

Postby george-bob » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:14 pm

another couple of options:

-go south over the SHB, go over the anzac bridge and then to the gladesville bridge, up to the epping rd cycle path and get to macquarie park that way. probably 30km.

-go over the SHB, then to concord, and to macquarie via epping that way. probably 40km.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:33 pm

On the loop you just did, instead of turning left onto Vimiera Rd and heading up to Epping Rd, turn right instead. Go down the shared path through Browns Waterhole and climb up Kissing Point Rd to Turramurra. You can turn around at the Pacific Hwy and enjoy the fast descent, or continue through Turramurra and cycle down into Bobbin Head!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

burger

Postby burger » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:11 pm

Sorry for the colloquial . . :oops: . . the coathanger is the Harbour Bridge . . nice little jaunt.
The world is round, so what seems like the end may actually be the beginning.

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:59 pm

North Sydney - Bridge - Barangaroo - ANZAC Bridge - Lilyfield Rd - Iron Cove - Five Dock - Canada Bay - Concord - Rhodes/Meadowbank - MacQuarie Park. Approx 30 km's with some flat and some ups and down's.

In Meadowbank have a look at Melville Rd. Nasty pitch averaging 14%.

If you are really inspired you can do a lap or two of Olympic Park.

Another option is to head out early (6am start) to SOP on Tues and Thurs mornings for a high intensity training ride for 45 minutes-ish and then continue onto work. Combine the high iontensity with some hill work from the river up to MacQuarie Park!

vvill

Postby vvill » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:15 pm

Hi,

first post here but tacking it on here as I'm looking for something similar.

I grew up in Sydney but now live in the US - I am in town right now for about a month. Looking for some options for a 30-50km loop starting/finishing in Lane Cove (I'm pretty close to the Longueville/Pac Hwy junction). I'm familiar with geography around here but not really much bike infrastructure, especially stuff built in the last 5-10 years. I haven't been in Sydney for 3 yrs and was surprised to see the cycling improvements in the CBD last time I was in town.

Any tips/links to good routes on ridewithgps/endomondo etc. welcome. I have over 10000 kms in my legs this year and don't want to lose my fitness, plus it's winter in the US now :)

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:40 pm

vvill wrote:Hi,

I grew up in Sydney but now live in the US - I am in town right now for about a month. Looking for some options for a 30-50km loop starting/finishing in Lane Cove (I'm pretty close to the Longueville/Pac Hwy junction). I'm familiar with geography around here but not really much bike infrastructure, especially stuff built in the last 5-10 years. I haven't been in Sydney for 3 yrs and was surprised to see the cycling improvements in the CBD last time I was in town.

Any tips/links to good routes on ridewithgps/endomondo etc. welcome. I have over 10000 kms in my legs this year and don't want to lose my fitness, plus it's winter in the US now :)
Check out the Renegade Saturday Rides: http://www.jamescheetham.net/Renegade/index.php
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

vvill

Postby vvill » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:48 am

queequeg wrote:

Check out the Renegade Saturday Rides: http://www.jamescheetham.net/Renegade/index.php
Nice, thanks. I bought my first ever pair of cycling shoes (with cleats) at that store. I was there a few days ago actually and asked them about group rides and they said they don't do group rides.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:48 pm

vvill wrote:
queequeg wrote:

Nice, thanks. I bought my first ever pair of cycling shoes (with cleats) at that store. I was there a few days ago actually and asked them about group rides and they said they don't do group rides.
Yeah, they don't do them anymore, but the link above is the group that took over the Renegade Shop rides. They have nothing to do with the shop itself, but they still meet out the front.

vvill

Postby vvill » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:37 pm

Thanks for the info.

Did a bit of exploring today, a LCNP lap and some riding on the Epping Rd cycleway - not bad at all.

warren.suen

Postby warren.suen » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:10 pm

Totally agree with all the above..

Here is an idea for a slightly harder ride, hang a left when you hit Lane Cove Rd/Ryde Rd and then right into the national park, quick warm up lap and then hit up the side road climbs and then attack fullers (brutal short climb) and follow that up to chatswood. From there should be a nice roll to the gore hill bike path and cruise your normal way into work

should add around 10k to your trip