Cycling Sunglasses Reccomendations (Tifosi / Oakley / Rudy)?

Shpox

Cycling Sunglasses Reccomendations (Tifosi / Oakley / Rudy)?

Postby Shpox » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:15 pm

Hi Guys. I'm after a quick bit of advice on a pair of sunglasses. Obviously the Jawbones/Radar's are some of the best out there, but come at quite a dear price of ~$215.00 without an interchangeable or polarized lens. It'd be a bit ridiculous to have them fall or get scratched quickly at that price point. I've seen a fair few recommendations for brands like Tifosi against Oakley, and although they look great, they don't seem to be available in Australia. Finally, Rudy's seem popular, but I don't know much about these.

I owned a pair of dhb sunglasses for a week that I recently sold here on BNA because the noise grip didn't fit. I'm not sure if I'm ready to take another gamble with an online retailer or just go try on a few pairs which leaves me also wondering, where the best place might be for sport sunglasses in Brisbane?

I'm currently using a pair of Bolle Contours which are a cheap and functional $20.00 pair but the lenses aren't quite interchangeable making them a bit difficult for the early morning.

Would appreciate any advice.

JustJames

Re: Cycling Sunglasses Reccomendations (Tifosi / Oakley / Ru

Postby JustJames » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:45 pm

Go crazy...

http://australia.rs-online.com/web/c/?s ... le&x=0&y=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've got several pairs of Bolle's that I bought on the basis that I'd rather buy lots of inexpensive pairs and treat them as disposables than buy one expensive pair and fret about it.
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

steveo

Postby steveo » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:12 pm

Walleva lenses $41.00 delivered approximately, Radar/jawbone and other oakley lenses. Polarised all colours. They also have an eBay store. Great clarity in the radar lenses I bought.

sblack

Postby sblack » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:19 pm

I went from Oakley to Rudy Project and not a chance I'd go back. Best scratch resistance in a lens I've found. Mine have had several trips to the pavement and also managed to smash a window and still scratch free. I'd have been through several pair of Oakley's with the punishment these have taken. First thing to wear out is the nose piece, which is available separately. I have the photochromatic clear lens which doesn't go as dark as other glasses but has been fine for me on the brightest summer days and it's great to do rides that traverse sunrise and/or sunset without having to change glasses or lenses.

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:38 pm

I have difficulty finding sunglasses that fit so I ended up going with Lazer Argons - which I think is middle of their range.

http://www.lazersport.com/index.php?opt ... 71&lang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A relatively new product so there not that well known.

$80 or so from wiggle, or elsewhere. 3 interchangeable lenses, but the key feature is that the nose pieces and temples are rubberised and easily adjustable by bending. Effectively the design allows you to adjust the glasses to your face, minimising the chance of poor fit.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:44 pm

Was checking out Rudy Project after the post above and on the Aussie website chanced upon their warning of buying fakes or sunglasses that can't be fit locally:
http://www.erudy.com.au/shop/pages.php?pageid=11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rudy Project Australia wrote:There is NO laboratory in Australia with the technology to cut Rudy Project Rydon (or similar semi-rimless Rudy frame styles) lenses. Post purchase lens insertion in Australia is simply NOT POSSIBLE. (You will be stuck with useless frames - It’s a big problem you can’t wiggle out of)
:)
Cycling is in my BNA

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:11 am

AUbicycles wrote:Was checking out Rudy Project after the post above and on the Aussie website chanced upon their warning of buying fakes or sunglasses that can't be fit locally:
http://www.erudy.com.au/shop/pages.php?pageid=11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)
Hey there, am I missing something? My post, above, was pointing to Lazer sunglasses - which are quite different to Rudys. Wasn't sure if you were providing a general warning, or whether there was something about my post that seemed to suggest fakes! Just clarifying.

sblack

Postby sblack » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:51 pm

misterhorsey wrote:Hey there, am I missing something? My post, above, was pointing to Lazer sunglasses - which are quite different to Rudys. Wasn't sure if you were providing a general warning, or whether there was something about my post that seemed to suggest fakes! Just clarifying.
My post directly above yours was recommending Rudys so my guess is that's the post being referred to. I do remember a warning in their enews about online retailers selling glasses with non genuine prescription lenses or inserts. For what its worth I found the Australian eRudy Site to be fairly competitive price wise and also came with three additional lenses for free (yellow, transperant and racing red).

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:08 pm

You might also try Ryders - they have an online store, and it's a lot of eyewear for not a lot of money.

Replaceable parts, arms, lenses, frames, etc, and all VERY well priced.
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:18 pm

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I went around to a few places today in Brisbane and have largely come to the conclusion that I'd be better off wearing a pair in person and then buying online if the price is better. There was a ridiculous amount of variation between brands with the majority not fitting. A lot seemed to come down (for me) the fashion in which the nose pad is designed and if it is centric to the lenses.

I went through a bunch of brands today. The Oakley's are quite nice but also feel a bit open across the brow. I'm not sure if this is just me or to do with ventilation. They're very expensive for what they are considering the lens is neither polarized or iridium unless you're willing to fork out even more. The base model doesn't come with any additional lenses either. Other than this, there was a pair of very dated shimano's that fit quite well aswell as the BBB select.

I'm not sure why, but everywhere in Brisbane seems to stock these BBB sunglasses. They have a horrible plastic feel and a creaking noise but the 'Select' seemed reasonable and very similar to the Radar Lock. They're $78.00 on Wiggle and something like $150.00 in the flesh.

As great as Tifosi and Rudy seem to be, it seems sunglasses also need to be tried on to prove themselves. I'll keep up the hunt and see how I go.

Finally, the Bolle contour pair I'm using for $20.00 seems like amazing value considering fit, coverage, lens quality, scratch resistance and ventilation.

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:16 pm

I bought the Oakley fast jacket sunglasses from Ribble for about $150 (on special). They came with black iridium lenses (for bright sunlight) and also persimmon (orange coloured) lenses (for overcast/late arvo light). I bought a pair of clear lenses from http://www.shadestation.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for about $50 for the morning commute as my ride starts at 5am when it's still dark. They are durable, easy to swap lenses and don't look bad either.
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:00 am

misterhorsey wrote:Hey there, am I missing something? My post, above, was pointing to Lazer sunglasses - which are quite different to Rudys.
As sblack mention. You got in with your posts shortly before mine.
Cycling is in my BNA

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:44 pm

Yep, thanks for clearing that up.

Sunglasses seem to be a product much favoured by counterfeiters and the way the forum spat out our replies made it look as if the Lazers were a bit suss, so just wanted to clarify that point.

On another note, Oakley also do 'Asian fit' sunglasses, which are better suited to the broader faces, less prominent bridges that people of east Asian background often have. I tried looking for these myself but couldn't find them

http://au.oakley.com/asian-fit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Lazers with their totally adjustable nosepieces were a great alternative in the end.

mdeshon

Postby mdeshon » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:11 pm

Another vote for Rudys here.

I've bought two pairs of Ekynox SX from the online store (erudy.com.au), and they've been brilliant. Only had to buy the second pair because my daughter twisted an arm off the first frame :-)

whichway

Postby whichway » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:53 am

The cost of upmarket sunglasses is 10% plastic 90% marketing. Bolles are industrial safety glasses so they must be antifog, scratch and impact resistant. I suspect they conform with standards that the more expensive (non safety) sports glasses don't comply with. I have a frameless pair, so that when I am down on the bars, there isn't a top frame that can drop down and block vision. I have a clear pair and a tinted pair so I can ride in whatever light conditions. If the spare pair falls off the helmet, then generally they don't get scratched, but if they do, off so the safety shop for another pair - they are a bargain.

Still as with all things cycling, spend whatever you want to.

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:17 am

Definitely agree, the bolle's are completely dope. For $15, they beat almost everything I've worn upto $100.

Good news though, I did find a suitable pair. BBB Select for ~$100. 3x lenses but the very best feature is that the noise grips are adjustable/bendable, so they fit your nose. The glass is good quality too and great coverage, more than the bolle's. They have a very similar profile to radarlocks with 2x extra lenses for more than half the price. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Shpox on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:10 pm

It's good to know your noise is now properly fitted and protected.
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:34 pm

uncle arthur wrote:It's good to know your noise is now properly fitted and protected.
I don't know what you're talking about :mrgreen: