Should I do more????

marinmomma

Re: Should I do more????

Postby marinmomma » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:34 pm

Venus62 wrote:
Rhubarb wrote: At the end of the day, cycling is healthier when more women and elderly people participate.
Gee, Rhubarb, I hope you are putting us into both of these categories! I feel old enough as it is! :lol:
Shouldn't that be aren't!
I'm going be a grandmother next year but I'm far from being elderly!!
Lisa

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:52 pm

marinmomma wrote:
Venus62 wrote:
Rhubarb wrote: At the end of the day, cycling is healthier when more women and elderly people participate.
Gee, Rhubarb, I hope you are putting us into both of these categories! I feel old enough as it is! :lol:
Shouldn't that be aren't!
I'm going be a grandmother next year but I'm far from being elderly!!
Whoops! Yes it was certainly meant to be AREN'T. I'll see if I can sneak back and edit. Must have been a senior moment... 8)

Edit: Mission accomplished...

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:12 pm

Thank goodness for you two Venus and Lisa - I'm sure Rhubarb was being supportive but elderly....
.....I'll cop to feeling old but elderly!!!!

Must say though today was not my best day riding - the legs hurt a lot after practising all that standing up and pedalling - have to ride in a really hard gear or else I feel like I'm all over the shop - found some muscles did not know I had.

Ended up doing a very slow 20 kms in howling wind. very unpleasant conditions the headwind seemed to follow me around the circuit.. gave gyndier a miss- -will wait for a couple of days until

going on a ride with LBS in the morning - a new group - bit nervous but hopefully will be able to keep up. not going if it rains though - still a sook.....

hope you all had fun today

fiona

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:37 pm

fionahills wrote:Thank goodness for you two Venus and Lisa - I'm sure Rhubarb was being supportive but elderly....

Must say though today was not my best day riding - the legs hurt a lot after practising all that standing up and pedalling - have to ride in a really hard gear or else I feel like I'm all over the shop - found some muscles did not know I had.

Ended up doing a very slow 20 kms in howling wind. very unpleasant conditions the headwind seemed to follow me around the circuit.. gave gyndier a miss- -will wait for a couple of days until

going on a ride with LBS in the morning - a new group - bit nervous but hopefully will be able to keep up. not going if it rains though - still a sook.....

fiona
Not riding in the rain isn't sooky, it's sane... :wink:
Anyway, went to a spin class today at my gym, giving my new shoes a go. Had a bit of trouble clipping in at the start but I stayed at the end and repeated clipping in and out for a while. Much more practice needed, as expected. I just can't seem to get my legs to turn at the same rate as some people. I know it's also just more practice needed but I do wonder if some people are just built that way. I can get to 100rpm but there's no way I could sustain it for any length of time. I need to look into ways of improving. I know the whole cadence thing is a can of worms anyway.

I was a red sweaty mess by the end of the class (as usual). I had to reassure the instructor that I wasn't about to expire, even when younger, thinner and fitter I looked like that after exercise. Very attractive. :roll:

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:43 pm

fionahills wrote:Thank goodness for you two Venus and Lisa - I'm sure Rhubarb was being supportive but elderly....

fiona
I had a good ride this morning, another solo River Loop, did a PB on one of the sprint segments which isnt too bad without having a dedicated wheel to sit on :roll:

Fiona, you're not a sook for not riding in the rain...its one thing to get caught in the rain another thing completely to start riding when it's already raining.
Not sure what is worse, the rain or a headwind!
Kinda glad that I wasnt commuting home today, that SE'erly was nasty today.

Good luck tomorrow
Lisa

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:46 pm

Venus62 wrote: Not riding in the rain isn't sooky, it's sane... :wink:
Anyway, went to a spin class today at my gym, giving my new shoes a go. Had a bit of trouble clipping in at the start but I stayed at the end and repeated clipping in and out for a while. Much more practice needed, as expected. I just can't seem to get my legs to turn at the same rate as some people. I know it's also just more practice needed but I do wonder if some people are just built that way. I can get to 100rpm but there's no way I could sustain it for any length of time. I need to look into ways of improving. I know the whole cadence thing is a can of worms anyway.

I was a red sweaty mess by the end of the class (as usual). I had to reassure the instructor that I wasn't about to expire, even when younger, thinner and fitter I looked like that after exercise. Very attractive. :roll:

Good on you Venus, just keep practising and you'll get there...both on the cadence and the unclipping.

I'm always a red sweaty mess after excerise 8)
Lisa

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:11 am

I just can't seem to get my legs to turn at the same rate as some people. I know it's also just more practice needed but I do wonder if some people are just built that way. I can get to 100rpm but there's no way I could sustain it for any length of time. I need to look into ways of improving. I know the whole cadence thing is a can of worms anyway.
Hi Venus

cadence and getting it right took me a while with lots of advice from BNAers.

- I can sit on 90 to 100 now but only in a really easy gear & that means I am pretty slow - :oops:

What I have been told to do is to break up the everyday rides into different sections so that I work on keeping a relatively high cadence for most of the ride (at least 1/2 at 95-100)and then do some work in a harder gear.
I try to stay as high as I can but it generally drops back to about 80-85 but is a bit faster due to the harder gear, about mid way at the back and big ring on the front now - I try for 2 or 3 kms - :oops: sometimes it is O.K sometimes it kills me

I try on the harder stuff like longer hills or big headwinds to keep rpms up but it does drop to about 75 and that is in an easy gear (or the easiest!!) :D But I love hills - hills are my friend - say it often enough and eventually I will believe it.

As i understand it (and this could be completely wrong) I have to build up to higher overall average speed by getting better at holding a higher cadence in a harder gear for longer periods and I will only do that if I try to push up the work load but not overdo it, hence the different efforts during the ride.

At first I used to ride on a harder gear but only spin at about 55rpm and only do about 19-22 kph - that was a huge effort and I could not ride for long.Now sometimes I can manage 35kph for a k or 2 - 30kph makes an appearance on the speed thing infrequently but 23-25 is my normal average over the rides I do - still pretty poor but better than when I started :D

While I'm still very slow I can by spinning in the easier gears ride a lot further.
I have managed to finish 2 100 km rides and 2 50s in the bit over 3 months since I started- I am always at the back :oops: :oops: but stay (just) in front of the sag wagon - so that is the main thing.

anyway hope any of the above helps (or makes any sense at all) :D :D

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:20 am

You shouldn't be so down on yourself Fiona, you are doing great to do 2 x 100km rides after riding for only 3 months plus all the other riding you tell us about.

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:29 pm

Ross wrote:You shouldn't be so down on yourself Fiona, you are doing great to do 2 x 100km rides after riding for only 3 months plus all the other riding you tell us about.
Absolutely! I'm finding it inspirational. Thanks also Fiona for the info about cadence. I've also found a few drills I can use at the gym, and I'm sure once I drop these extra kilos that have snuck on over the last couple of years everything will be easier.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:11 pm

Ross wrote:You shouldn't be so down on yourself Fiona, you are doing great to do 2 x 100km rides after riding for only 3 months plus all the other riding you tell us about.
+1 from me too Fiona... You are doing so well and you've come along way in 3 months!
Lisa

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:49 pm

Another +1 with a subtle press of the invisible "like" button. Nominate Fiona for n00b of the year :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:24 pm

Thanks to all, very flattered and grateful but don't get too excited , let the team down today- woke up at 4am, said goodbye to hubby (on his way back to Pilbara for work) had a coffee, started to get ready to ride and it rained......

went back to bed and woke up at very uncyclist time....

jumped out of bed and holy mother - my legs hurt..... that standing up business is really making me pay

took the day off the bike - not even a ride to the shops! - slightly guilty but doing some paid work for a change -

working for yourself from home can be a problem when the weather is cycling friendly - looking at the bike, getting ready to ride, getting bike ready to ride, riding, getting home, downloading garmin, putting it on strava - looking at HR, looking for the faster bits, making excuses for the bits that are not so good, having a drink, looking at the faster bits again - :oops: :oops:

not to mention so many new shops to visit, so many rides to scope out, new magazines to read - & catching up on all the really great threads I have missed before my conversion

but you guys are great to be so kind

fiona