bigfriendlyvegan

Truck blind spots - dramatic video

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:04 pm

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Truck blind spots - dramatic video

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:19 pm

Isn't it just. Confirmed one or two small theories I've held for some time. A: Undertaking trucks in tight areas is stupid dangerous. B:Don't be part of the herd.

Maybe something like THIS should be investigated by the industry and Govt? Naturally enough, it isn't a magic bullet but every little helps...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:35 pm

Thanks for sharing, really valuable and makes a good point for defensive driving / riding. You may be in the right, but better to forgo the right of way to save your skin.
Cycling is in my BNA

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:02 pm

Not quite accurate as the cab is turned. They should have really done this with the cab at multiple positions.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:06 pm

Good video. The truck is poorly positioned to take the turn though. The prime mover has already commenced turning relative to the trailer which is part of the reason the field of vision is not as wide as it would normally be through the mirrors. Looks like the truck has commenced turning a bit early and will run over the kerb with the trailer. On my iPhone it does anyway.
Fact remains though you won't last long going up the side of left turning trucks.

Edit beaten by Baalzamon. I'm trying to say much the same thing. I just waffle more
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:50 pm

The mirror is malpositioned anyway... Why would you drive with a mirror just showing the sie of the truck???
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:56 pm

Crittski wrote:The mirror is malpositioned anyway... Why would you drive with a mirror just showing the sie of the truck???
Not the mirror, see Baalzamons post. I've seen lots of trucks assume that position on the road when turning.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:19 pm

That was completely unexpected.

A good warning.

Matt_Matt

Postby Matt_Matt » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:31 pm

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:09 pm

In London - one of the concrete companies has now equipped all it's trucks with proximity sensors along the side of the truck which display the gap (in metres) to the driver, then driver can then see the gap decrease if another road user passes alongside the truck, apparently the fatality rate has dropped from 1 death a year to none.....

Surely these proximity sensors should be compulsory ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:30 pm

Unless you blokes drive trucks and I mean real trucks, not some 2/3t thing, then you have no idea of what your talking about with the mirrors. :roll:

I spend all week in a B-double and there is no amount of adjusting you can do to the mirrors, that will allow you to take out the blind spots. I loose complete cars beside me and I'm talking Commodores and Falcons. :shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:12 pm

Sure there are details like mirror or angle - even so, the reality is that at times there is a blind spot - and it is surprising to see so much missing space is lost (which has concealed all of these riders).
Cycling is in my BNA

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:39 pm

My jaw dropped and I couldn't close it. :shock:

Just goes to show that they have those "do not overtake turning vehicle" signs for a very good reason. For an entire group to disappear is horrifying. I think common sense has to prevail with these things... I think most of us are clever enough to appreciate that truck drivers are not deliberately difficult in the same way that ute wannabes are...

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:34 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Unless you blokes drive trucks and I mean real trucks, not some 2/3t thing, then you have no idea of what your talking about with the mirrors. :roll:

Foo
yes

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:47 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Not quite accurate as the cab is turned. They should have really done this with the cab at multiple positions.
I think that is the point of the video, the truck is positioned that way to show that a driver cannot see riders alongside the truck while preparing to turn or actually turning.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

jindydiver

Postby jindydiver » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:52 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Unless you blokes drive trucks and I mean real trucks, not some 2/3t thing, then you have no idea of what your talking about with the mirrors. :roll:

I spend all week in a B-double and there is no amount of adjusting you can do to the mirrors, that will allow you to take out the blind spots. I loose complete cars beside me and I'm talking Commodores and Falcons. :shock:

Foo
+1
For 15 years I drove a 10 tonne truck around Canberra and the only way I could ever be sure no one is there is if I overtake a vehicle and I then see it in the distance behind me. If a truck pulls into an intersection and someone squeezes up on the inside then it is entirely probable they will get a nasty surprise if the truck is turning.
Anyone who overtakes a truck on the left will have no one to blame but themselves if they get a scare or worse.

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:14 pm

Or proximity sensors could be fitted like they have been to concrete/cement trucks in London......

Surely a truck driver would like the extra piece of mind of an alarm beeping if something has passed up the inside of his truck rather than unknowingly killing someone because it was in his blind spot as he turned.....

I am certain a truck driver would feel guilty if someone died due to being hidden in a blindspot of the truck during a turn even though it was not the truck drivers fault.....

Parking proximity sensors are cheap, lives are not......

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:40 pm

Don't mess with trucks. The wheels are not friendly. :|
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:59 pm

Riggsbie wrote:In London - one of the concrete companies has now equipped all it's trucks with proximity sensors along the side of the truck which display the gap (in metres) to the driver, then driver can then see the gap decrease if another road user passes alongside the truck, apparently the fatality rate has dropped from 1 death a year to none.....

Surely these proximity sensors should be compulsory ?
I'm not convinced that decrease from 1 death pa to 0 pa can be attributed to the proximity sensors.

If the death rate in the population under review had gone from (say) 6,000 to 5,000 then the claim could stack up. But if the starting number is 1, then the statistics of small numbers come to play. If it goes from 1 to 2, it's doubled - have a serious crisis here! A reduction of 1 per annum does not sound anywhere near as sexy as a 100% reduction.
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:06 pm

Year on year they were killing at least 1 cyclist a year, now they are not......

So a clear improvement so I'd say it is worth it to save just one life, surely one life is worth the cost to fit proximity sensors on a fleet of a hundred trucks ?

Or is one life not that valuable ?

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:44 am

My comment was not about the value of a life.

I was merely raising the point that correlation is not the same as causation.
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

revinR1

Postby revinR1 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:40 pm

Foo
How about coming back from Perth with my dad ( road train) we pass a car and caravan they called us pass. Please also note we have road train signs on front of truck .Anyway caravaner calls us clear and OK to put it away Mr truckie LOL only 1 trailer past you buddy might wait a bit for the dolly and second trailer hey .....
Some people no idea

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:28 pm

revinR1 wrote: How about coming back from Perth with my dad ( road train) we pass a car and caravan they called us pass. Please also note we have road train signs on front of truck .Anyway caravaner calls us clear and OK to put it away Mr truckie LOL only 1 trailer past you buddy might wait a bit for the dolly and second trailer hey .....
Some people no idea
Or you're out to pass them on a nice long straight section of road, hit the speed limiter and the stupid buggers speed up also. So you are stuck on the wrong side of the road with the combo only half past them. The left hand indicator coming on soon sorts that out :x

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:37 pm

Yep to both of the two above posts. :shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km