Bike left....

BianchiBhoy

Bike left....

Postby BianchiBhoy » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:54 pm

Riding on my own, just turning the legs over. Melville Beach Road, just dropped onto the road after the footpath through Tompkins Park.
7:30am on a Saturday morning. Plenty of groups around. Just been passed by the Garland group. Car parked on left so I move out towards middle of lane to pass it. Doing about 28kmh. Hear call from behind "bike left".
What would you expect to happen next???

Some bloke trying to pass me on the inside?

Is it ever acceptable to overtake on the inside? Let alone as we come round parked cars?

Unless I am clearly indicating to turn right (there was no possible right hand turn offs where this happened).,..then please DO NOT TRY AND PASS ON THE INSIDE regardless of what you meant by calling Bike Left...

You may not have heard me blurting out expletives with your headphones in, but please don't do it again!

jeffh

Re: Bike left....

Postby jeffh » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:58 pm

I'm with you BB.

I can't think of a situation here it's justified or acceptable. It's only happened to me once and that was without a call as well.

Most disconcerting. :?

wexford

Postby wexford » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:01 am

Ditto for me. I had a lycra warrior blast past without notice on my left when I was commuting home on the MTB for a change of pace. This was past the City West train station with peds everywhere, so it was already dicey enough without this idiot trying to beast his Strava PR or something.

Bring on the traffic calming!

redned

Postby redned » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:03 pm

And if for no other reason, it is contrary to the Road Traffic Code.

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:05 pm

Inside suicide...
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:33 pm

bianchi928 wrote:Inside suicide...
+1 to that, it's stupid thing to do

Troy C

Postby Troy C » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:55 pm

No its not ok to pass on the LEFT (don't use inside/outside - the inside you refer to its actually outside of the road)
Some points about this thread
1> Bike Left is a common call from a group coming up from behind to tell the riders there is a bike on the left hand side.
2> Great example of a road with lots of groups and congestion with parked cars and islands in the middle. A good idea (not Law) is to signal that a car (or another rider is approaching on your left) even if you are not in a group, as it helps riders approaching from behind.
3> Lycra Clad Warrior was said in offense, how about I refer to you lot as Bunters.... you are just dragging this forum into the gutter with comments like that.
Regards
Troy
Rota-M Cycling Team, Board Member of ATTA, Member of CWA, WCMCC

dougalh

Postby dougalh » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:00 pm

Troy C wrote:No its not ok to pass on the LEFT (don't use inside/outside - the inside you refer to its actually outside of the road)
Some guy in the Santos GBR was calling "on your inside" and "outside" and when cornering which frankly was just confusing. Left ride is much simpler I agree.

elStado

Postby elStado » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:23 am

I saw some guy pass a lady with a pram on the left. No reason at all the right lane was completely open..
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

wexford

Postby wexford » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:12 pm

Troy C wrote: 3> Lycra Clad Warrior was said in offense, how about I refer to you lot as Bunters.... you are just dragging this forum into the gutter with comments like that.
Regards
Troy
The guy was an idiot and deserved to be belittled accordingly, and done so deliberately. If he wants to defend himself he's welcome to speak up on the forum, otherwise I see little point to commenting.

Troy C

Postby Troy C » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:47 pm

no, your are discriminating between bike riders, I don't care if the guy was right or wrong. I am not defending him.
You are insulting all people that wear lycra, are you not?
Rota-M Cycling Team, Board Member of ATTA, Member of CWA, WCMCC

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:44 am

Troy C wrote:no, your are discriminating between bike riders, I don't care if the guy was right or wrong. I am not defending him.
That's the way I read it........

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:08 am

Troy C wrote:no, your are discriminating between bike riders, I don't care if the guy was right or wrong. I am not defending him.
Yes, that's how I read it too.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:46 am

As a lycra clad person, some of the other lycra clad people need to stop being whiney primadonnas. Otherwise the moderators will intervene. Nuff said.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

cray-

Postby cray- » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:45 am

Marty Moose wrote:
That's the way I read it........
That's not how I read it. It was a description of a particular rider involved in a specific incident.

If it was "some hipster with a basket" instead would that be an attack on all hipsters or people with baskets?

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:46 pm

Meh... I've passed people on the left.

But it's when they are riding the white line of an on-road cycle lane doing 15km with headphones in and can't hear a bloody thing. :evil:
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Easy rider

Postby Easy rider » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:30 pm

Troy C wrote:You are insulting all people that wear lycra, are you not?
You could also read it as criticism of the "warriors" in particular (who usually wear lycra) rather than all lycra clad cyclists. But it's easy to read over the word "warrior" because it's slang without a clear meaning, so the eye can focus on the "lycra clad" part if it chooses to.

There are unsafe riders of all types wearing all kinds of material, but the ones who pose the most danger on shared paths are not the slow wobbly beginners, it's the ones who are trying to maintain high speeds in places where it's inappropriate and unsafe to do so, and who refuse to wait until it's safe/clear to pass, or keep a reasonable distance from the unpredictable cyclists/peds they are passing.

It's just a fact that many like myself don't see nearly as many casual bikers or commuters (some also wearing lycra) doing these things, and at anywhere near the same speeds. It's not what anyone is wearing that is causing problems, it has more to do with selfish and aggressive cycling, and trying to maintain car-like speeds on a footpath-like environment, where I would have thought the road was the obvious place to do that with a greater chance of success - and less risk to others.

Whatever the "warriors" are wearing (or might generally tend to wear to assist with speed), they all make me feel increasingly unsafe on PSPs that are meant to improve safety for peds and bikes. Why was it necessary for someone to knock my elbow while passing me this morning within the same PSP lane instead of moving into the totally clear oncoming lane? How does anyone feel entitled to ride like a pro on a completely unpredictable amateur circuit, with added tourists and kids wandering all over it?

Tandem

Postby Tandem » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:12 pm

twizzle wrote:Meh... I've passed people on the left.

But it's when they are riding the white line of an on-road cycle lane doing 15km with headphones in and can't hear a bloody thing. :evil:
Still no excuse to pass on the left.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:17 pm

Tandem wrote:

I do believe car drivers say the same thing. :roll: The ARR's say otherwise.

Sent from my iThingy...

Tandem

Postby Tandem » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:19 pm

twizzle wrote:
Tandem wrote:

I do believe car drivers say the same thing. :roll: The ARR's say otherwise.

Sent from my iThingy...
We are not talking about car drivers in this treat. It is about cyclist overtaking on the left / inside, which I find is never justified or acceptable no matter what the excuses are.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:32 am

Tandem wrote: We are not talking about car drivers in this treat. It is about cyclist overtaking on the left / inside, which I find is never justified or acceptable no matter what the excuses are.
Why?

Sent from my iThingy...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:01 am

twizzle wrote:
Tandem wrote: We are not talking about car drivers in this treat. It is about cyclist overtaking on the left / inside, which I find is never justified or acceptable no matter what the excuses are.
Why?
Yep. Please enlighten us as to the appropriate section of the legislation that forbids such.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:36 am

I'll hazard a guess BianchiBoy is either English or Canadian, where they refer to a road lane furthest from the centreline as the "inside" lane.
I've never been able to work out what it is inside of though.

fixed

Postby fixed » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:36 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
twizzle wrote:
Why?
Yep. Please enlighten us as to the appropriate section of the legislation that forbids such.
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/wa/c ... tc2000113/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Section 122
ROAD TRAFFIC CODE 2000 - REG 122
122 . Overtaking
(1) When overtaking a moving vehicle, a driver of a vehicle (other than a bicycle) shall, except as provided in subregulations (2) and (3), pass to the right of that vehicle, at a safe distance.
(2) Where a carriageway is a one‑way carriageway, or has 2 or more marked lanes for vehicles travelling in the same direction, a driver may overtake and pass in another marked lane to the left of a vehicle, if conditions permit him or her to do so with safety.
(3) A driver overtaking a vehicle making, or apparently about to make, a right turn or U turn from the middle of the carriageway and giving a right change of direction signal, shall pass to the left of it and of any vehicle that may be stationary behind it, but only if it is safe to do so.
(4) The rider of a bicycle shall not ride past, or overtake, to the left of a vehicle that is making, or apparently about to make, a left turn, or is signalling a left turn.
Modified penalty: 2 PU

[Regulation 122 amended in Gazette 13 Nov 2009 p. 4589‑90.]

These regulations also apply to principal shared paths.
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:46 pm

Yes, I know what the law is. And it allows bicycles to overtake on the left.