Bike left....

Re: Bike left....

Postby m@ » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:06 pm

Don't forget this is WA... the relevant law is probably one from 1857 outlawing overtaking a bicycle on the left except on the first Sunday of the month, and then only if you're wearing drag ;)
harmonix1234 wrote:Forecast for Hobart next week is rain, sleet, ice and all kinds of hell.
HTFU harmonix.
m@
Super Mod
Super Mod

by BNA » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:22 pm

BNA

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:22 pm

twizzle wrote:Yes, I know what the law is. And it allows bicycles to overtake on the left.

You were fishing twizzle when you knew all along. Strung it out nicely. Smack smack, naughty boy. :lol:

Thanks anyway fixed. I am sure that I have seen this before but I still get surprised by it. It seems so counterintuitive. I am enlightened again. (Until I forget again.)
Last edited by ColinOldnCranky on Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:28 pm

I trust that if I wander back a foot to the left on the PSP as a rider or few come up behind me and then collect someone taking advantage of the allowable left pass, that rider will not take undue offence when I wipe him off on the fence.

I am unlikely to do an over the shoulder check if I am two foot off the edge. And I do try to move a little left if I am not there already when I think I have a rider coming up behind. And especially so if there are riders heading towards me from the front.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby twizzle » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:39 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
twizzle wrote:Yes, I know what the law is. And it allows bicycles to overtake on the left.

You were fishing twizzle when you knew all along. Strung it out nicely. Smack smack, naughty boy. :lol:

Thanks anyway fixed. I am sure that I have seen this before but I still get surprised by it. It seems so counterintuitive. I am enlightened again. (Until I forget again.)

Not really. I was just wondering why tandem was taking a black/white view. Overtaking me on the left on a < 1m wide on-road lane is likely to result in an incident... but some of the on-roads are over 2m wide and numpties riding on the extreme right hand side are going to get passed... albeit with a lot of caution. Besides which, the person behind is responsible for passing safely, regardless of wether it's on the left or right. Same goes for people passing on the right with a 10cm gap... I'm going to express my unhappiness.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
twizzle

Postby eldavo » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:41 pm

So the conclusion to the original post is if you're in the middle of a lane passing something, and you leave room for someone to pass on the left, and they call out to you that they are passing on the left, it's really quite OK.
If you didn't think passing on the left was wrong, everything else would seem fine, courtesy to call, making the correct call (Bike Left), and doing it safely.

When I think about it now, the law seems to be there so that we can pass any traffic of larger vehicle type on the left. In motorcycle rider discussions people referred to it as undertaking... but I always thought that's the job of the guy that catalogues you once you're the inevitable fatality statistic, which we're not immune to as cyclists either.
eldavo

Postby twizzle » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:32 pm

"Depends". In the given circumstances, it was a dumb thing to do. Bike moves to the right for a car... bike likely to move left after the car. Bike riding on the right of a lane for no reason with a huge gap on the left... I'm going to chose the option that doesn't require me to play in the traffic.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
twizzle

Previous

Return to Western Australia