Hard tail 29er vs Full suspension.

Crowz

Hard tail 29er vs Full suspension.

Postby Crowz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:40 pm

I've started riding trails around Mt Coottha in Brisbane and want to upgrade to a better bike. (current one is old, entry level, and too small) Would anyone like to help out with a pros/cons of spending about a G on a semi-decent hard tail 29er compared to an entry level dual suspension bike?

mitzikatzi

Re: Hard tail 29er vs Full suspension.

Postby mitzikatzi » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:50 pm

If by a "G" you mean a "k" or $1000. Then a Hardtail no question. I would look at run out 26ers in that price range. Much better value for money IMHO.

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:06 pm

Going through the same process right now... 26" vs 29'er... Definitely a hard tail for that budget...

I am looking at the Merida's at 99 bikes...

The 100 MD is an entry level 29'er at a really good price... Around $610

They also have the 300 26" normally $999 on special for $799 at the moment, and that looks like a great deal for a 26"

A good mate who does a lot of MTB around Cootha, Nebo and Samford has a dual suspension Giant, but absolutely wants to "go back" to a hard tail 29'er for the ride-ability over a longer distance and commuting in addition to hitting the trails.
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

uglybob

Postby uglybob » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:45 pm

i'd be looking at perhaps a second hand dualie - i had a very basic hardtail, and upgraded to a 2008 specialized epic. was great, a fantastic bike for the money. best value for a good quality bike, without spending too much coin before knowing if i was really going to get into mountain biking big time or not!

out of interest, i took out the hardtail version of my current stumpjumper dual-susp. wouldn't be going back to a hardtail anytime soon thats for sure! :shock:

Crowz

Postby Crowz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:34 pm

Sorry, to clarify, I was meaning around $1000 for a hard tail or would it be worth saving a bit more and getting an entry level dualy for around $1500-$1800. Bike will be purely for trails, no commuting. Is a dual suspension really worth that extra $500? Am I missing out on much at places like Mt Coottha?

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:43 pm

If your after a "L" Giant ANTHEM-X2 upgraded to full XT 2011 / Used might be worth a look

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:46 pm

Giant Anthem X3 2012 / New

A couple of hundred more gets you the X2. Also look at a "Trance" there are are few fan boys of them on here. :lol:

Both those Gaints are better "spec" than the $1000 Hardtails I can find in your area. Thet both have good forks.

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:13 am

At Coot-tha and Gap Ck... Do you want to blitz your mates on the way up or on the way down?

I've got both and for my riding skills/ability I find the 29er performs better on the long uphills - especially up the trail to Mt Nebo... But the duallie kicks butt when going down the single track. Duallie for down, 29er for up.

My preference was solidly within the 29er camp for a few years. The 29er was so much more physical to ride on the single track, full body work out type of thing. But a bad back and a desire to feel less like muscling the bike and more like finessing, I went back to a 26" duallie and am loving that more. So much so the 29er has become my wife's bike.

Disclaimer... There are plenty of people I know who will blitz me up and down the trails regardless of which bike I would use.

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:04 am

What shop you guys think of the Scott sparks?

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:05 am

Marty Moose wrote:What shop you guys think of the Scott sparks?
A decent run of the mill frame with various levels of gear specification but often at subtly wrong price points. An adequate but not exceptional treadly.

For a grand...go with the bike that has a frame that fits you that's wearing the best specified fork and wheelset you can find. Wheelset in particular can make or break the experience.

And the problem at this price point on a hard tail 29er is that what you typically end up with is a short travel coil spring fork with limited capability as things get demanding and a heavy & limp wheelset made from basic Formula ball bearing hubs, noodle steel spokes and large section pinned alloy rims.

Which makes me wonder whether 26er might be the source of a better deal/specification for the hills
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Crowz

Postby Crowz » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:33 am

silentbutdeadly wrote:
A decent run of the mill frame with various levels of gear specification but often at subtly wrong price points. An adequate but not exceptional treadly.

For a grand...go with the bike that has a frame that fits you that's wearing the best specified fork and wheelset you can find. Wheelset in particular can make or break the experience.

And the problem at this price point on a hard tail 29er is that what you typically end up with is a short travel coil spring fork with limited capability as things get demanding and a heavy & limp wheelset made from basic Formula ball bearing hubs, noodle steel spokes and large section pinned alloy rims.

Which makes me wonder whether 26er might be the source of a better deal/specification for the hills
Are there any particular models that stand out to you in the $1000 range for 29" or 26" Hard tails?

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:47 am

Crowz wrote:
silentbutdeadly wrote:

Are there any particular models that stand out to you in the $1000 range for 29" or 26" Hard tails?
Nope...they are as abundant as bread in a bakery - all look a bit different but they are still bread. That said though...the major brands are the go to - Giant, Merida, Specialized, Scott, Avanti et al. plus there's smaller brands like Apollo, Polygon, KHS...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:08 am

I bought a 29er dual suspension bike because it could handle anything. Flick one switch, and it becomes a hard-tail anyway, so best of both worlds. Great going uphill, and down hill, off jumps... everything really. If I could do it all again, I'd still stick with the duallie just for versatility.
What are these salesmen peddling?