Help-Bryton Users

avroncotton

Help-Bryton Users

Postby avroncotton » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:24 pm

The Bryton has changed it's software and now does not automatically ask you if you want to delete the history on your device. I haven't worked out how to do it and space is getting low! :roll:

Tony

hitchhiker

Re: Help-Bryton Users

Postby hitchhiker » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:41 pm

How recent was the change? I got the delete option last week

I'm riding tomorrow, I'll use the Bryton and see how I go

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:08 pm

I was just about to ask the same question, i've had a pretty good look around the website and can't work it out. I wish i had got a Garmin, the unit itself works fine but the website and process for downloading the files has just been annoying as hell, especially when i see how easy it is for my brother who has a Garmin.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

warren.suen

Postby warren.suen » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:20 pm

Totally agreed.

I think the update was geared for more offline use.. but alas they can't fix simple things like the timezone when updating to strava :evil:

ianK

Postby ianK » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:15 am

Not sure which particular model you have, but with the rider 40 one goes to "View History" and the select "erase" you get an option to choose if you wish to save to a website first - select no - press the enter button all history deleted.

Cheers
Ian

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:47 am

I found the best way to get performance out of my Bryton was to sell it on eBay and then buy a Garmin.
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:14 pm

hitchhiker wrote:How recent was the change?
Just last week, AFAIK.

Nice units (I've got both a 35 and a 50), but the web interface is ... a work in progress.

At least it's constantly being revised.

From my IT job I can say the worry about a piece of software is when it's no longer being updated! :smile:

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:58 am

on my Rider 35, select Settings , then System , then Erase data
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

warren.suen

Postby warren.suen » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:39 pm

I emailed support and here is it - PAIN :evil:

I have been advising the team that this feature needs to make a return and looks as though this will happen in the near future.

Regards Ryan Kelly
Bryton Aus

On 14 December 2012 13:30, Warren Suen wrote:
Thanks for that Ryan,

Is that the only way now? it used to automatically delete the history everytime i uploaded my rides. Is there no way to get that back?

Warren

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 1:14 PM, Australia Support <support_au@brytoncorp.net> wrote:
Hi Warren

Thanks for your e-mail, regarding deleting data. This can be done on a rider 20 by going in to SET, FILE,CLS and selecting Y this will delete the data from the device.

Regards Ryan Kelly
Bryton Aus

On 13 December 2012 17:29, Warren Suen wrote:
After the update it looks like the device is keeping a history of the rides even though they have been uploaded on to the webpage.

How do i delete these from the device?

warren.suen

Postby warren.suen » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:46 pm

Also asked them about the timezone update they have not done for the uploads into strava.. since i had the guy on the line

avroncotton

Postby avroncotton » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:20 pm

Problem solved...Thanks everyone! Tony

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:24 pm

Just found that bryton sport has a new upgrade that offers much better upload, download and
delete options. Can now manage all the data from your computer (i.e. without an internet connection),
so it's now on a par with what Garmins offer.

After 6 months of use, the only gripe I've got with my Bryton is that, like the Garmin 500 (and all the
edge series), the altitude data is complete garbage. Bryton, unfortunately, use a barometric altimeter
feature also used on the Garmins. So far, it is proving more reliable - haven't needed to chkdsk on the
usb drive yet, and haven't lost any data.

Until the two recent software upgrades in the last two months, it was much more tedious to use
than the Garmin. But the latest upgrades puts them on a par.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Gashead

Postby Gashead » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:56 am

I had the same problem with deleting the history, but the latest update allows you to delete your history from the software on the computer (not on the internet page) and not automatic. You just use the 'My Device Manager' software once you have uploaded all your rides. It is very simple and only needs to click on the button 'Delete' (it will then ask the normal 'are you sure' question'.

I have had a Bryton 20 for a year. I hated the old software, had heaps of trouble loading files, getting the software to recognise the Bryton and then getting it across to Strava was a real pain. The recent upgrades have been fantastic and now I can download files very easily and transfer to Strava in a single click.

The Bryton 20 has been great, and has a lot of additional features (at a cheaper price) than the comparable Garmin. The fact that they continually update the software shows that they are improving and I am finding it a lot better now. I would never buy a Garmin, considering the price difference and the fact that Bryton are constantly closing the gap.

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:41 pm

Hopefully the new Bryton distributors know what customer service means, I had a Rider 30 that had issues, the only reply I could get was from Bryton South Africa, in the end I was that frustrated that I fixed the Bryton permanently with a heavy hammer & bought a Garmin which hasn't had any issues. The Bryton had problems finding the cadence sensor, the heart rate monitor after the first software upgrade.

Hope you guys get a better sort of service from Byrton than I did, I'll never buy another or recommend the Bryton to anyone.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:46 pm

Wal42 wrote: Hope you guys get a better sort of service from Byrton than I did, I'll never buy another or recommend the Bryton to anyone.
The key question is whether you get better service out of the Garmin.

I bought a Bryton after a Garmin Edge 705 failed in under 18 months then a Garmin Edge 500 failed in less than 12 months, and would similarly not recommend a Garmin to anyone. Attempts to get a remedy from the local service agents were futile - they were a waste of space. So I wasn't going to spend my hard-earneds on yet another Garmin.

I'm hoping that the Bryton will last better than the Garmin, but who knows, it could have the same dud chipset in it that Garmin uses. Only time will tell, and I would not recommend either at this time. If you must buy one, be prepared to think of any life over 12 months as a bonus.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:31 am

I bought the Bryton Feb last year, it lasted just on 4 months, had the Garmin since June last year, the only issue I've had was not starting properly, I found that they have a restricted memory (oh d'uh), so if you keep lots of courses & lots of ride data then they play up, it was more the organic component (moi) than the unit.

As I say, hopefully since the new distributor has taken over things are better, I liked it until it stopped, I liked the graphing on website (that much that an IT mate has written a program that copies it, I download my Garmin onto that to view my stats), but it was all about reliability & service, at that stage Bryton offered neither, I bought the Garmin from a Qld distributor, he promised me if I had an issue I could send it straight back to him, he would resolve it or replace it within 48 hours, that for me justified the extra cost.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:22 am

Wal42 wrote:I I bought the Garmin from a Qld distributor, he promised me if I had an issue I could send it straight back to him, he would resolve it or replace it within 48 hours, that for me justified the extra cost.
Well if my Bryton fails me, maybe I'll buy from your Qld distributor.

The failures on my Edge 500 are intermittent (about once a month before I gave up on it), usually recovery needed a chkdsk that wiped all the data (Garmin's local distributor considered that an acceptable fix), and mostly occurred after a longer (50+ km) ride. So I suspected that maybe it was related to dud memory or having two to three rides stored on the device. At least until the recent upgrades, the Bryton automatically cleared the memory as rides were uploaded, so maybe it's protected from the kind of faults my Garmin got. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Cheers
WombatK

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:02 pm

I've just about had enough of this thing, the first problem I had with the Bryton was moisture getting inside the screen. After I noticed that (it disappeared a few days later) it started glitching, not charging, not connecting to the computer, saying 'FULL' as soon as it was plugged in and progressively getting worse until it wouldn't connect to the computer at all or even switch on. I returned it to the shop as it was only about 5 months old, they sent it to the distributor in Melbourne who repaired it. I had it back in about 7 working days so pretty happy with that.

Until on the very first ride back, moisture appeared in the screen again :? .

Since then it has given the occasional issue such as not being recognised by the computer or saying 'FULL' as soon as it's plugged in but for the most part it's been ok. But this afternoon I recorded a race, got home and plugged it into the computer and it either won't register with the computer, or the computer will make the "bebeep" noise to indicate something has been plugged in, but then pops up a window saying "USB device has malfunctioned and windows can't recognise it" or words to that effect.
Bryton Bridge won't respond to it, I have checked the BB software is up to date.

I've tried restarting the computer, plugging the Bryton into different USB ports, plugging it in while turned off or on, nothing has worked :evil: .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia