Entry level 29inch hardtail, narrowed down to 2.

Gloomshade

Entry level 29inch hardtail, narrowed down to 2.

Postby Gloomshade » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:45 pm

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles ... /102147699" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles ... /102115319" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Im literally going to buy one of these bikes tomorrow(availability pending...), after several weeks of research and internet lurking...Every time i decide on a bike i keep looking and end up convincing myself to go down a different route. I haven't owned a bike in a decade, im 29, 5'7 and 107kg.

Im pretty sure i want a 29er... What i mean to write then was the only thing i am 100% sure on is that i want it to be a 29er...but i couldn't bring myself to type it...coz i aint sure on anything.

Wait no...Im sure i want a mountain bike. I wanna be able to hop kerbs and do wheelies and go on dirt if i want.

So anyway, about those 2 bikes up there...I've read so many reviews on various bikes and components that its made my eyes bleed and caused a brain overload, im not sure how much of the information has actually sunk in. Im inclined to think that the giant boulder has superior components, i think the SRAM x7 derailleurs are better than the acera x and m190 on the merida. Further than that...im not sure...actually im not even sure on that...

What I do know is giant has a big ass shop in the CBD in adelaide i can buy the boulder 29er 0 from. Whereas the merida carrying bike shop is a 5min walk from me. Thats not necessarily important for more than anything but how i would get the bike home...(no really...how do you get them home...) but shouldn't really factor into my buying choice if one bike is considerably better than the other... The merida looks a bit more pimp, but they both look pretty sexy. To be honest when it comes to consumables and clothes and other assorted accessories i'll definately be giving the place around the corner a go, but for this one large ( to me ) purchase i really want to get the best deal that i can.

So for the exact same price, does anyone wanna weigh in on an opinion between those two ^ or throw a real spanner in the works and add another suggestion to the mix?

mitzikatzi

Re: Entry level 29inch hardtail, narrowed down to 2.

Postby mitzikatzi » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:29 pm

The Giant for me on spec alone.
I am not sure how different the geometry is, buy the bike that fits best.
Is one shop better than the other?

Gloomshade

Postby Gloomshade » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:50 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:Is one shop better than the other?
Im really not sure. The Giant shop is probably bigger and more trendy, being in the CBD...

The local shop...
Established in 1963 in the then new, revolutionary Elizabeth Town Centre, Elizabeth Star Cycles was a small bike shop of about 70 square metres with a few bikes and tricycles on floor and a range of parts and accessories that would be considered very small by today's standards.
Business founders Bill and Pat Mills learned the bike trade in the then large Super Elliotts bike factory and took with them a wealth of experience to the new shop. The business soon outgrew the premises and we rented a workshop solely for repairs about 4km away in Elizabeth Grove before relocating our shop to a larger store, about 3 times the size. In the mid 70's with rents rising and business booming, we built our own warehouse/factory in Elizabeth West, where we still trade today.

In those early days we imported English Raleigh bikes which were like a touch of home for our large English migrant population. We also expanded our premises to include a bike production facility where we made our own frames, painted them and assembled quality bikes with Japanese components. Full scale production continued to the mid 90's where we made our range of Vortex bikes including our famous BMX bikes.

Eventually, like the rest of the Australian bike manufactures we found that it was no longer viable to produce bikes and began importing bikes from Taiwan and China Today, approximately 400 square metres is devoted to sales and repairs. Although we no longer make our own range of bikes, we still have the facilities to repair frames, weld, build our own wheels and full workshop facilities with skills found in very few newer stores. Check out our repairs section to see the services we offer.
I dunno...used to make their own bikes...is really close to where i live and has been in business for a long time. Possibly a better shop but still a small fish compared to a giant cycling store in the cbd...Which is probably why for the same money, it would seem i can get a better bike from giant than the store local to me.

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:27 am

I am going through the same process right now.

I will be buying that exact Merida at my local bike store.

The Merida is a good brand and that has a good frame on it. My LBS also has it for $610.

I would go with you local bike shop; they will be easier to get to when and of you need help or assistance.

As for getting the bike home; I ride my new bikes home... :-)
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

Gloomshade

Postby Gloomshade » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:15 pm

Yeah. Ended up buying the merida today. Pretty happy with it except still working out the gears a bit... Seems to change gears by itself randomly a bit... Im trying to work out at the moment if upgrading the derailluers will provide confidence to be able to really torque down on the pedals and know its not gonna slip or randomly change, not looking forward to when it happens and my testicles pay the price.

Gloomshade

Postby Gloomshade » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:05 pm

Did 8km on the new bike today. Mostly in the wet :)). I'm happy to admit that im thoroughly stuffed. Good feeling really, riding a bike around as opposed to riding an exercise bike is much more of a full body workout. Definately going to consider a new saddle if I can get a more comfortable one. I'll also possibly consider some shorts that will be more bike friendly. I was wearing just... Normal summer shorts for me quiksilver or whatever they are with no stretch and I found myself hiking them up my thighs a fair bit to free up my movement.

I think I would feel a bit silly wearing the same gear I see road bike riders get around on so gonna have to see what options there are out there for comfort and usefulness without making me feel like I look silly.

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:20 pm

Gloomshade wrote:
I think I would feel a bit silly wearing the same gear I see road bike riders get around on so gonna have to see what options there are out there for comfort and usefulness without making me feel like I look silly.
Since clothing is cultural, Gloomshade, the looser/baggier styles of the MTB or BMX tribes might suit! :-)

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:25 pm

Hoping to order mine in the morning... Fingers crossed!!!
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

Gloomshade

Postby Gloomshade » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:33 pm

Even got me a matching helmet =)

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:42 pm

That's awesome !!!

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:42 pm

Gloomshade wrote:..snip.... Seems to change gears by itself randomly a bit... Im trying to work out at the moment if upgrading the derailluers will provide confidence to be able to really torque down on the pedals and know its not gonna slip or randomly change, ...snip....
Well done on the bike. Nice.

The gears should not change by themselves. Take it back to the shop and ask for advice.

Save your money. A new bike shouldn't need new parts.

FWIW the reason I suggested the Giant was because it has Sram X5 groupset parts.

You can get Baggy MTB shorts that have a built in liner. They look like normal shorts.

Gloomshade

Postby Gloomshade » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:53 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:
Gloomshade wrote:..snip.... Seems to change gears by itself randomly a bit... Im trying to work out at the moment if upgrading the derailluers will provide confidence to be able to really torque down on the pedals and know its not gonna slip or randomly change, ...snip....
Well done on the bike. Nice.

The gears should not change by themselves. Take it back to the shop and ask for advice.

Save your money. A new bike shouldn't need new parts.

FWIW the reason I suggested the Giant was because it has Sram X5 groupset parts.
Yep. Duly noted, the reason i was leaning towards the giant was because the SRAM X5's seemed superior to the shimano gear that came with the Merida, what it really came down to in the end was the fact that the Merida was located 2.4 km away from me, and the giant was 30km away in the middle of the city. I emailed giant and my LBS both to see what each could do for me i received no reply from the giant store, and throughout the day sent and received several emails from the local shop.

They threw in a cheap computer bidon and cage and discounted my helmet also, which is really what i was after.

Also... I rode the thing home, rode it around the block a few times and later on rode it back to the shop and got them to tighten up the brakes a little and drop the nose on the saddle too, i asked them about the adjustment on the derailleurs and they had a look at it and rode it around the carpark for 5mins to check it out but it wasn't really doing what i had experienced it doing.

I will take it back down again tomorrow get them to have another look at the rear derailleur and also the front wheel is pulling left under brakes now...

I guess the real point is its a 5min ride for me to get to the shop i bought the bike from and not a 45min train ride + a 5min ride.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:01 pm

That makes good sense to buy from a local shop. Merida are a very good brand.

I look at having a shop 30km away as a good excuse to go on a long ride. :)

Gloomshade

Postby Gloomshade » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:07 pm

Its also a bit hard for me as a newbie to compare apples to oranges to pears.

Both bikes were entry level, with entry level bits n pieces on them, i felt the giant edged out the merida slightly on components but i ended up getting the merida cheaper with the thrown in bits n pieces. Plus the merida looked sexier =P. And i really wasn't sure how much difference there was between the cross branded components.

I dont wanna second guess myself too much on my choice, coz i have a bike now and i like it so if i put too much thought into it it'll make me less happy with my purchase, and i dont want that =).

Definately gonna be looking at some comfier saddles when i go to my LBS tomorrow, after 10km of riding...half of it probably standing up...my ass hurts.

So...step one comfier saddle which will help facilitate:
step 2 reduce size of ass =
step 3 profit? lol.

Anyone have experience with Shimano M190/Shimano Acera-X? I just want to be able to confidently stand up and torque down hard without fear that the chain will slip... And am hoping that properly adjusted i will be able to do this on my new bike without changing any parts...

Though at the same time im doing google searches to find compatible upgrades...(already lol).

Gloomshade

Postby Gloomshade » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:12 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:That makes good sense to buy from a local shop. Merida are a very good brand.

I look at having a shop 30km away as a good excuse to go on a long ride. :)
I look forward to being physically capable of a ride like that, without puking.

It wont take long im sure riding a bike around has gotta be one of the best forms of cardio ever, for me... I find that if im walking on a treadmill or riding on an excercise bike or eliptical trainer i spend too much time thinking about my heartbeat or my breathing or my light head and end up psyching myself out of pushing myself...Or i just get bored.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:17 pm

Niiiiice!! 8)

A small tip on saddle pain for n00bs: Get at least 100kms total riding in before you consider a saddle change, if you haven't ridden much your bum will be soft. It will need time to harden up. Of course, if it's still a problem by then, come back to us and we'll recommend 174 different saddles as "Best Saddle Evah!" :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

clackers

Postby clackers » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:32 am

Gloomshade wrote: I just want to be able to confidently stand up and torque down hard without fear that the chain will slip... And am hoping that properly adjusted i will be able to do this on my new bike without changing any parts...
I started off with Acera on my MTB and it did the job but was never precise. A beginner's groupset.

The main thing is that your new cables are stretching and it should be taken back to the shop after a few weeks for a quick tuneup ... without charge, I would hope. Or reindex yourself if you know how.

Gloomshade

Postby Gloomshade » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:32 pm

Rode back down to my LBS this morning ( standing up the whole way...zomg :oops: )

Front wheel pulling left under braking took about 3.5 seconds to fix, the dude just tightened the quick release on the front wheel a smidgen, and i was like... oh.

He took it for a test ride to have a bit of a suss of the chain slipping and gears changing came back and spent 10 15 sussing it out, in the end i think he twisted or bent or adjusted the rear derailleur or something, i dunno i got bored and went off to look at softer saddles.

I really should get a bike toolkit and stuff and start learning how to do some work to my own bike. I mean...im about to go change the discs and pads on my car, i've pulled down and rebuilt top ends of engines...i have my work ute out the back at the moment in pieces and half sanded in a spray job project...I should be able to handle a bit of MTB mechanics.

Think im scared of it coz at one stage when i was a kid i messed with the rear derailleur on my mountainbike and it took me like an entire day to work out how the springloaded jigsaw puzzle was meant to go.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:13 pm

Gloomshade wrote:...I should be able to handle a bit of MTB mechanics.
If you can do a valvetrain you can do any of the mechanicals a bike can throw at you with the exception (for now) of hydro brakes and suspension.

sheldonbrown, parktools and youtube sites are your friend as much as The Shed is here.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:55 pm

I went down to my LBS this morning, the place with almost 100 bikes, to buy two bikes for my kids for Christmas and to place an order on the 100MD...

My wife was with me, and while I was entertaining the kids, she had a chat to our friendly sales rep, and got an awesome deal on the 100-D that they had in stock, ready to take home right there...

So, I am now the proud owner of my second Merida, the 29'er Matts 100-D...

Woohoo!!!

I am heading out to Samford in the morning to do two hours on the road bike and then one hour on the MTB...