Rear Derailleur Hanger Snapped Off 'SRAM RED KUOTA KOM'

KuotaBoy

Rear Derailleur Hanger Snapped Off 'SRAM RED KUOTA KOM'

Postby KuotaBoy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:00 am

Hi guys,

My mate bought a Kuota KOM Sram Red bike from LBS last week. Whilst they were setting it up for him at the shop apparently it took them over 30 mins to get the bike right coz the chain couldnt shift to the bigger crank on the front and the chain even fell off one time. Still wasnt perfect when it left the shop but was told by the mechanic once on the road it 'SHOULD' shift withno problems. When my mate took it out for the first ride, not even pedalling just rolling down a small slope road to clip his pedals on and i hear this "snap" on the rear of his bike and the rear derailleur hanger snapped right off taking a piece of the carbon fork along with it.

Mate took it to LBS and was told kuota rep will look at it and once they looked at it they said there is no defect on the frame and wont give a new frame or bike. LBS is saying when the bike left the shop the mechanic signed off saying the bike is good and working and are making my mate pay for half the repair costs. They said they can repair the damaged carbon on the back and fix the rear hangar.

What are you views on this? I feel as though my mate shouldnt have to pay a single cent!
Last edited by KuotaBoy on Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

TDC

Re: Rear Derailleur Hanger Snapped Off 'SRAM RED KUOTA KOM'

Postby TDC » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:55 am

makes you wonder why the shop are paying half if the bike left in good working order.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:18 pm

Time to get the lawyers involved.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:44 pm

If you bought a car and a wheel fell off five minutes down the road, you wouldn't pay a cent. Why do bikes get treated differently?
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:38 pm

What gear was the bike in when the derailleur hanger snapped? Large chain ring? Large rear cog? If the chain was cut too short and you were in the big-big combination, then this could snap the derailleur hanger. That's the fault of the bike shop and they should pay for the repairs or supply a new frame if the damage requires it.

pauls51

Postby pauls51 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:43 pm

Lack of accountability from a LBS... Then, you wonder why more and more people are learning to work on their on bikes

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:18 pm

pauls51 wrote:Lack of accountability from a LBS... Then, you wonder why more and more people are learning to work on their on bikes
This. If they can't get the pre purchase tune up right, you wouldn't want them bleeding your brakes :roll:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:42 pm

Shop should pay, no question. And your mate has a witness. Your friend should look into legal options. There is a small claims tribunal (or words to that effect) and the NSW government site has easy to follow process suggestions for how to take a matter to them. It's not difficult or expensive, and you can do it yourself.
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

KuotaBoy

Postby KuotaBoy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:37 am

My mate got more news that the shop got a quote for fix the chipped off carbon from the rear fork will cost between $500-$800 or he can pay wholesale price on a brand new frame for $1199. Shop aint covering anything! Wow. Im pretty much dumbfounded. The Kuota distiributor who inspected the bike made the comment that the rear derailleur must of been forcefully moved or crashed on. But there is no evidence of any scratched on the drivers side of the bike or on the derailleur for him to come to that conclusion. Even said the LBS has a perfect record with his bikes and never had an issue liket his ever before. Wow really dusting their hands on this one.

I aint allowed to tell you guys which LBS this is am i? lol i definately would love to warn everyone here to watch out for this LBS and not deal with them.

KuotaBoy

Postby KuotaBoy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:02 am

biker jk wrote:What gear was the bike in when the derailleur hanger snapped? Large chain ring? Large rear cog? If the chain was cut too short and you were in the big-big combination, then this could snap the derailleur hanger. That's the fault of the bike shop and they should pay for the repairs or supply a new frame if the damage requires it.
yes it was both on those.... the thing is...they had alot of trouble getting the chain to get on the biggger chain ring and even fell off one time...doesnt that already mean the chain is too short?

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:08 am

The fact that the bike couldn't shift gears correctly in the first place would suggest that the derailleur hanger already had issues. Perhaps it got bent during shipping?
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:05 pm

Did the bike shop say why they believe the derailleur hanger snapped? If the bike wasn't crashed then the bike shop must have cut the chain too short or the hanger was already damaged (did they test ride the bike or just set the gears up on a stand?) I would contact Fair Trading in NSW.

KuotaBoy

Postby KuotaBoy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:27 pm

biker jk wrote:Did the bike shop say why they believe the derailleur hanger snapped? If the bike wasn't crashed then the bike shop must have cut the chain too short or the hanger was already damaged (did they test ride the bike or just set the gears up on a stand?) I would contact Fair Trading in NSW.
they reckon my mate dropped the bike on the derailluer and it bent to the point when he rode it, thats when it hit the spokes. but that never happened.. i checked the deraileur myself and was in line and not bent before he rode it.
Just came back from the bike shop and they said the kuota rep checked the chain and there was no issue with the chain.Apparently SRAM chains have a totally different deisng to shimano ones?

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:57 pm

KuotaBoy wrote:

I aint allowed to tell you guys which LBS this is am i?
I think you let it slip in your OP before editing it ;) I have bought from there. Their service is up and down. Their builds are average as well. A lot better than others nearby though.

I don't trust any lbs with my bikes any more.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:47 pm

KuotaBoy wrote:
biker jk wrote:Did the bike shop say why they believe the derailleur hanger snapped? If the bike wasn't crashed then the bike shop must have cut the chain too short or the hanger was already damaged (did they test ride the bike or just set the gears up on a stand?) I would contact Fair Trading in NSW.
they reckon my mate dropped the bike on the derailluer and it bent to the point when he rode it, thats when it hit the spokes. but that never happened.. i checked the deraileur myself and was in line and not bent before he rode it.
Just came back from the bike shop and they said the kuota rep checked the chain and there was no issue with the chain.Apparently SRAM chains have a totally different deisng to shimano ones?
Go and get the chain from the bike shop. Tell us the size of the largest chain ring and cog (number of teeth) and I can run it through a chain length calculator. So for a 53 x 25 example then the chain should be 53 inches for a 40.5cm chain stay length (fairly standard).

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:52 pm

Good thinking!
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:07 pm

Isn't this a new bike?... chains don't get cut to size when assembling a new bike.
Maybe ring the distributor direct, shop probably didn't mention that the bike had issues before they handed it to the customer, or that it was 5 minutes old.

r2160

Postby r2160 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:39 pm

Time to call the Department of Fair Trading and let them deal with it.

The bike wasnt right when you picked it up and the LBS told you it would be OK.

It wasnt. First ride it breaks.

Time to get legal. Dont let them push you around.

Only now, I would be seeking a refund because clearly they arent worth dealing with

Cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:21 pm

r2160 wrote:Only now, I would be seeking a refund because clearly they arent worth dealing with

Cheers
Glenn
+ too many to count.

If that's they way the local distro rolls, they've just crossed one brand off the list for me when I look to replace the roadie in about a years time.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:38 pm

Kuota distributor recently changed didn't it? Maybe the new one is taking a hard line with bikes sold buy the old guy?
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:44 pm

Yeah it did. No longer Gemini Bicycles.
Its the mob who bring in Cervelo, Derby Cycles.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:20 am

Just to add tho. The Kuotas sold in Australia up to end of 2012 are still under Gemini's agreement, so Derby prob wont be interested.
Last time I spoke to Gemini they said they had a few KOM left in stock they were trying to clear out before their trade agreement with Kuota ended.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

KuotaBoy

Postby KuotaBoy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:52 am

Strawburger wrote:
KuotaBoy wrote:

I aint allowed to tell you guys which LBS this is am i?
I think you let it slip in your OP before editing it ;) I have bought from there. Their service is up and down. Their builds are average as well. A lot better than others nearby though.

I don't trust any lbs with my bikes any more.
yeah i did, was just told its ok to say who it is...

KuotaBoy

Postby KuotaBoy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:53 am

biker jk wrote:
KuotaBoy wrote:
Go and get the chain from the bike shop. Tell us the size of the largest chain ring and cog (number of teeth) and I can run it through a chain length calculator. So for a 53 x 25 example then the chain should be 53 inches for a 40.5cm chain stay length (fairly standard).
SRAM rep is gonna look at it today and see if there is any fault on their part. If not we take next step. Really feeling for my mate. Spent 4k on his first bike and this happens within first 5 mins of getting on his bike ...

KuotaBoy

Postby KuotaBoy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:55 am

MarkG wrote:Yeah it did. No longer Gemini Bicycles.
Its the mob who bring in Cervelo, Derby Cycles.
The rep that came and checked the bike was from Gemini Cycles. They have already dusted their hands saying there is no problem with the bike. Obviously!