Buffer Bike Lane (US)

Aushiker

Buffer Bike Lane (US)

Postby Aushiker » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:28 am

This looks like an interesting design. it is referred to as a buffer bike lane. Seems to be getting the thumbs up at BROL.

Andrew

human909

Re: Buffer Bike Lane (US)

Postby human909 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:58 am

We've had that buffer zone treatment for a while on Canning St. (no recent picture found)

The only thing is that it still puts you in the door zone, so riding in the buffer zone or at the edge of the bikelane seems the safest bet.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:55 am

Do Not Want!

Why give the smokeboxers another black overtaking lane? Line markings mean sodall to Melbs caged ones.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:10 am

Such treatments have been recently introduced in some parts of Melb, like here on Queensberry St Carlton.

The lane is a good width allowing easy avoidance of any opened car doors generally.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:25 am

il padrone wrote:The lane is a good width allowing easy avoidance of any opened car doors generally.
Yes, Queensberry St works quite well in my opinion and is definitely wide enough. Queensberry isn't exactly a useful thoroughfare for most travel, which is probably why they were happy to sacrifice a can lane for the changes. I can't say I ride on it much despite riding often in the area. Maybe I should do so as it certainly is more pleasant than other East-West routes in the area. (I have no qualms riding Grattan and Cemetery Rd but Queensberry is MUCH nicer.)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:28 am

A similar lane has been created along Pigdon St, Princes Hill. It is even better with a buffer strip from parked cars as well.

Personally I think such lanes are overkill. Wider than a regular car lane. I'd rather just see stricter enforcement of rules that require drivers to overtake correctly ie. change lanes completely when overtaking (especially with cyclists). Another strategy that would work with bike lanes on main roads would be to simply remove on-street parking. Then the bike lane would work much better as a safe transport facility.
Mandatory helmet law?

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:53 pm

Love the Pigdon Street example.
Aushiker wrote:This looks like an interesting design. it is referred to as a buffer bike lane. Seems to be getting the thumbs up at BROL.

Andrew
I'm not sold on this mainly because of the treatment at the turn lane. I don't like the idea of forcing the cyclists to move left towards traffic at the same point that traffic is wanting to move right. Cyclists holding a consist line seems much safer to me.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:58 pm

wellington_street wrote:Love the Pigdon Street example.

I'm not sold on this mainly because of the treatment at the turn lane. I don't like the idea of forcing the cyclists to move left towards traffic at the same point that traffic is wanting to move right. Cyclists holding a consist line seems much safer to me.
Agreed. Plenty of "Oh SHED!!!" room. A little meh about the turning aspect in the US example too but as long as the "yield to bikes" sign is followed and enforced if necessary it should be doable. Harker St leading to Flem Road near The Kids has something along that line, pity about the green gap and lack of priority for scoots :?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:29 am

That's a reasonable idea - and I'd give it the thumbs up too, provided there is a method or law to prevent cars overtaking in that area.

But first, it has to be built. In my area of Sydney, we have some bike lanes, but given cars park in them, the remaining width makes them impossible to use. So you go out into the traffic - and they whinge because you aren't using the painted bike lane. Ironic, huh?
Last edited by g-boaf on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

DentedHead

Postby DentedHead » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:01 am

(puts on motorist hat)
... provided there is a method or law to prevent cars overtaking...
Sorry, but as a motorist, I don't understand the underlined word, or how it applies to me. Could anyone explain it in a way that means I don't have to pay attention, or act responsibly?

(removes motorist hat)

Tongue in cheek, I know, but show me a road law that is actually enforced (beyond revenue-raising fines) or not regularly ignored.

Dent.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:18 pm

DentedHead wrote:..show me a road law that is actually enforced (beyond revenue-raising fines) or not regularly ignored.
They are normally enforced after the fact... you'll see the fines handed out after an accident for example. Cold comfort :)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:39 pm

wellington_street wrote:I'm not sold on this mainly because of the treatment at the turn lane. I don't like the idea of forcing the cyclists to move left towards traffic at the same point that traffic is wanting to move right. Cyclists holding a consist line seems much safer to me.
It is a move that has to be accomplished one way or another. I reckon it's better to have a designated lane like this with a clear place where the driver is expected to cross through the bike lane (while giving way to those in the bike lane - as with all lane-crossing manoevers). There are a few such bike lane treatments in Melbourne and I have not heard of any worrying incidents or situations.

Eg. here is a similar situation on the Royal Parade bike lane. I guess this keeps the cyclist on a consistent line, but only because there is street-side parking here. The Michigan scenario has the common sense to not allow this it seems.
Mandatory helmet law?

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:52 am

I think I prefer the idea of the buffer between the bike lane and the parking, so as to move the whole bike lane out of the door zone. To my mind, that is a lot more useful than a buffer lane between the bike lane and the car lane of the road.
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.