Getting Frame Decals reproduced

dv

Getting Frame Decals reproduced

Postby dv » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:08 am

I have a classic old Petrus racing bike and would like to repaint the frame. Does anyone know who in (West?) Australia can reproduce bicycle frame and head badge decals that are not available for purchase. If there is no one in WA can they be reproduced from photographs, and approximately what is the cost for a full set? The original stickers are quite thin - are there different options - or is that really stretching it?
Just point me to an old thread if this topic has been covered (I did have a quick look)
Thanks for any info.
dv

hiflange

Re: Getting Frame Decals reproduced

Postby hiflange » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:14 am

I've been looking into of late. I am by no means a full bottle.

Your original "thin" decals are likely to be water slide transfers or Duplex varnish transfers.
The cheap'n'cheerful modern fix is to copy them as best you can, tidy them up in Illustrator and have them run out as vinyl stickers at any number of places. Apply and clearcoat.
Vinyl stickers have some thickness though which, depending on your persnicketiness quotient (PQ), spoils the vintage vibe. AFAIK clearcoat wasn't used on old bikes so depending on your PQ that mightn't be so good.

Some possibilities worth investigating;
Cyclomondo - dunno if Greg does custom work
From memory transfers can be printed by folk with a Gerber printer, model name escapes me but I believe there may be someone in Perth who could do it.

Interested to hear how you go

dv

Postby dv » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:09 am

Thanks for the information. It sounds like a pretty big project and a significant challenge getting them to look exactly like the originals. I will ask at a few local places and see what they can do.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:29 am

Expert Signs (in NSW - esigns(dot)com(dot)au) did a fantastic job for me with some remade custom decals. I scanned them in, cleaned them up a bit and uploaded them. They even threw in a t-shirt with the graphics on it too. Greg at Cyclomondo doesn't do custom (at least he didn't previously).
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

michaelweare

Postby michaelweare » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:44 pm

Hi All

I've done exactly this. Had an old (Rapallo) frame which had very poor decals. So I photographed all of them and also traced out what was left.

Then roughly drew up to scale what I thought it all should be and sent it off to Greg at Cyclomondo. He drew up and developed prototypes which he emailed back to me in PDF. Once happy with accuracy, colour, etc, ordered quantities, etc and got them done up properly.

I've been extremely happy with Greg's workmanship and the process he follows. Highly recommend Cyclomondo.

PS - even though this sounds like a bit of work, in reality it isn't. An anyway, isn't your bike worth the effort? :D

Cheers Michael

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:04 pm

Graphic shak in the uk will also do custom decals

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:54 pm

ValleyForge wrote:They even threw in a t-shirt with the graphics on it too.
I want the Kenevans headtube "K" logo on a t-shirt! (helps that my initial is K as well ;) )
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:10 pm

ValleyForge wrote:Expert Signs (in NSW - esigns(dot)com(dot)au) did a fantastic job for me with some remade custom decals. I scanned them in, cleaned them up a bit and uploaded them. They even threw in a t-shirt with the graphics on it too. Greg at Cyclomondo doesn't do custom (at least he didn't previously).
I've had some done by esigns too. I did the graphics and they printed them for me. Happy with the result.
I'm no pro, but if you have some photos and measurements I don't mind having a go at doing the graphics for you. PM me if your like.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:20 pm

HappyHumber wrote:
ValleyForge wrote:They even threw in a t-shirt with the graphics on it too.
I want the Kenevans headtube "K" logo on a t-shirt! (helps that my initial is K as well ;) )
I got some t-shirts made for my son using some photos of his robot collection on them. I used one of the online t-shirt printing stores. Fantastic job and great colours.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:19 pm

as further encouragement, I had some waterslide decals made to my artwork by Velocals

rollin

Postby rollin » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:01 pm

Hicks sign co in Brisbane Does heaps for old school bmx

http://www.wealthandhellbeing.com/-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; lixy bmx does art and decals

dv

Postby dv » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:36 pm

I obviously have not looked closely enough. Thanks for all the great information from everyone in this thread. It sounds like I will have to get creative with a drawing package and go from there. The bike's definitely worth it!