The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Boognoss » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:51 am

beauyboy wrote:Personally when ever I see any reckless behaviour by anyone I have two words
"Darwin's Theory"
I refuse to give respect for someone that does not respect themselves!

Donald

Same here. Sure I've done stupid things, mostly by accident and some deliberately (but I'll blame long distant youth on that) but everyone has to take responsibility for their own actions. That's something that seems to occur less and less in this "it's someone else's fault" society.
Avanti Quantum, Salsa Casseroll, Specialized Tricross
Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

by BNA » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:44 am

BNA

Postby human909 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:44 am

Boognoss wrote:
beauyboy wrote:Personally when ever I see any reckless behaviour by anyone I have two words
"Darwin's Theory"

Donald

Same here. Sure I've done stupid things, mostly by accident and some deliberately (but I'll blame long distant youth on that) but everyone has to take responsibility for their own actions. That's something that seems to occur less and less in this "it's someone else's fault" society.

Who said that cyclist isn't taking responsibility for his own actions? Your willingness to not respect another human being is worrisome. :( Why all this negativity?
human909

Postby sogood » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:32 pm

Sydney CBD peak hour observation

2 cyclists "filtering" b/n moving cars on both sides, riding right on the lane divider line. It just takes one 10cm move by one car and they'll be goners. Silly.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby Boognoss » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:38 pm

human909 wrote:
Boognoss wrote:
"Darwin's Theory"

Donald

Who said that cyclist isn't taking responsibility for his own actions? Your willingness to not respect another human being is worrisome. :( Why all this negativity?

In my case Sydney is rubbing off on me. :cry:

My glass is half empty.
Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby twizzle » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:40 am

I'm on a continuing road approaching a set of traffic lights where I intend to turn left. And there's a woman jogging towards the lights as well where the pedestrian crossing light is red, as the continuing road has the green light. I started turning to the left, she has run straight across the road, never even glanced to see if traffic was coming from any direction. :shock:

Now, I know I am required to give way to pedestrians... but seriously, you expect people to make *some* attempt at self-preservation!
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
twizzle

Postby wellington_street » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:46 am

twizzle wrote:I'm on a continuing road approaching a set of traffic lights where I intend to turn left. And there's a woman jogging towards the lights as well where the pedestrian crossing light is red, as the continuing road has the green light. I started turning to the left, she has run straight across the road, never even glanced to see if traffic was coming from any direction. :shock:

Now, I know I am required to give way to pedestrians... but seriously, you expect people to make *some* attempt at self-preservation!

The pedestrian is required to give way to you as the pedestrian crossing signal was red.

(and yes, you are obliged to give way to the pedestrian insofar as your duty to avoid a crash, even if another dumb road user has broken the road rules which would have prevented the crash from happening)
wellington_street

Postby human909 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:46 pm

wellington_street wrote:The pedestrian is required to give way to you as the pedestrian crossing signal was red.

Not correct. The presence of pedestrian lights with a red signal does not change the obligations of the motorist.
human909

Postby wellington_street » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:15 pm

human909 wrote:
wellington_street wrote:The pedestrian is required to give way to you as the pedestrian crossing signal was red.

Not correct. The presence of pedestrian lights with a red signal does not change the obligations of the motorist.

What did I say that was incorrect? I said the bit about motorist obligations in the second sentence of my post.
wellington_street

Postby twizzle » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:35 pm

wellington_street wrote:
human909 wrote:

What did I say that was incorrect? I said the bit about motorist obligations in the second sentence of my post.

See ARR 62 (1). Drivers are required to give way to pedestrians when turning at an intersection with traffic lights. Also covered by ARR 68 & 69 as well for when there aren't traffic lights. Basically... ped crossing lights at intersections have no effect on the drivers/riders obligations.
I ride, therefore I am.
twizzle

Postby zero » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:43 pm

twizzle wrote:
See ARR 62 (1). Drivers are required to give way to pedestrians when turning at an intersection with traffic lights. Also covered by ARR 68 & 69 as well for when there aren't traffic lights. Basically... ped crossing lights at intersections have no effect on the drivers/riders obligations.

A road user isn't required to give way to someone approaching or on the footpath corner when turning - only someone that is _on_ the roadway. (62-1 in the ACT for this intersection). Relative speeds (and hence visibility through windshield) of the 2 parties on approach actually matter a fair bit, both for police choosing to charge, and for civil torts. Far left corner impact or side impact and the driver is likely to not be charged.
zero

Postby tubby74 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:54 pm

last week just before olympic park roads wre shut down for the V8's race, cyclist decided to go up the inside of a ute with a trailer, and then a 3t truck, as we were diverted through the bus stop area of the race track. Keep in mind that at the time the inside line was red/white ripple strip , so every chance those vehicles would have clipped the kerbs where he was headed past.
tubby74

Postby m@ » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:46 pm

twizzle wrote:
wellington_street wrote:
human909 wrote:wellington_street wrote: The pedestrian is required to give way to you as the pedestrian crossing signal was red.

I don't read wellington_street's post as contradicting that though; the pedestrian shouldn't have started to cross but the driver was required to give way to them once they did.

I had a very similar experience a few weeks ago but with a POEBSO (E is for electric) who cruised along the footpath and straight across the intersection I was turning left at (against a red ped crossing). Don't think he heard my sage words of advice due to the ipod...
There are four phases of bicycle commuting; first there's fear, then rage, then self-righteousness and finally, fun.
-Yehuda Moon
m@
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby wellington_street » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:50 pm

m@ wrote:I don't read wellington_street's post as contradicting that though; the pedestrian shouldn't have started to cross but the driver was required to give way to them once they did.

Yep, that's exactly what I meant.
wellington_street

Postby twizzle » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:53 pm

zero wrote:
twizzle wrote:

A road user isn't required to give way to someone approaching or on the footpath corner when turning - only someone that is _on_ the roadway. (62-1 in the ACT for this intersection). Relative speeds (and hence visibility through windshield) of the 2 parties on approach actually matter a fair bit, both for police choosing to charge, and for civil torts. Far left corner impact or side impact and the driver is likely to not be charged.

I know what you are saying.... but it's fairly hard to hit someone that isn't crossing the road. I really should get a camera.

LOL moment - years ago I got told off by a plain clothes policeman after I accelerated over a ped crossing... I had already taken my foot off the brake when he RAN onto the crossing from the other side, my foot was already on the accelerator so I floored it because that was the only thing I had time to do. He was in such a hurry he had to run onto the ped crossing... but had enough spare time to come and tell me off for doing it.

re. wellington_street... you said it was a duty of care, but there is a give-way requirement.
I ride, therefore I am.
twizzle

Postby cp123 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:41 am

i was riding in Melrose Drive Canberra northbound this morning at approximately 30 kmph (on road bike lane and 2 lanes of cars) There was a woman ahead and I'm not sure if she looked a bit simple or a bit substance affected but she was walking on the grass near the edge of the road. Quite often there are people standing looking like they want to cross rather than going to one or other set of lights, but somehow i got a vibe about her. I kept one eye on her and slowed and she started to walk on the very edge of the gutter with her arms out sideways - like a tightrope walker. she was still coming towards me. by now i'd looked back over my right shoulder to see if the left car lane was clear so i veered slightly right (now in the car lane) so i could give her plenty of room. she's still walking towards me but i've slowed significantly she turnes to her left and walks straight out onto the road without so much as even looking up. i'm almost at the point of impact and yell LOOOOOKOOOOUT as she suddenly realises that i'm about to clobber her.

I'm glad i got the correct vibe about her but she's damn lucky i wasn't driving a car as she'd've been toast.
cp123

Postby twizzle » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:59 am

Riding home last night on a shared pathway, watching two cyclists ahead while one rider sloooowly overtakes the other around a long blind corner. Then this morning, I ride around a corner to find a cyclist on my side of the shared pathway. What the flip is wrong with these people??!

I reckon the word needs a highly contagious virus that kills people who can't identify that you shouldn't overtaking on blind corners.
I ride, therefore I am.
twizzle

Postby nescius » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:38 am

Dumb cyclist on the weekend was me:

I thought I'd take my 26" hardtail mountain bike on a BMX track, I had done a few confidence inspiring laps so I thought I'd increase the speed a bit and get some air off the first jump. It turns out I have no idea how to ride jumps, it was nothing like as easy as it looks on youtube videos. I landed way too far forward on the front wheel and hit the ground pretty hard so now I have some solid bruising on my left hip, and scraped a good amount of skin off my left arm. In case it isn't obvious, I'm 95% roadie and 5% mtb, I'm going to have to spend a lot more time developing skills if I'm going to engage in any more of these types of shenanigans.

Also dumb cyclist was my mate, who saw my crash, pointed and laughed then did exactly the same thing except he landed on his face :oops:
Giant Reign 3 | Trek 8000 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack | Fuji Track 1.1
nescius

Postby jules21 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:49 am

riding on the shared path this morning, approaching some old chooks walking towards me, over both lanes. i was a way away so i kept riding and i could see one woman fidgeting around, kind of moving but not moving, then finally moving out of the way (over to her left). as i pass without incident, i can hear the others admonishing her, lol.

similar thing happened the other night, with a young lady walking in the RH lane next to her friend. i could see her being a smart arse from a distance, extending her arms across the path as if to say "no one gets past". i rang my bell as i approached - no acknowledgement - then rang it again, same result, but then her friend yanked her out the way :D me 1 smart arse 0
jules21

Postby bychosis » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:45 pm

Shared path very busy for the moring commutes this time of year. Glad the bell is working. Plenty of dumb peds out there, but most keep left fairly well.

This morning riding along after plenty of dinging. Three young male joggers approaching 2 on correct side of the line, the third merrily jogging beside his mates. Figured he would see me approach and duck in behind his mates - no. There were also 2 walkers headed in my direction so I couldnt' move over. Decided to hold my line, give the walkers sufficient safety space, and stay on my side of the line. Figured I would 'do the right thing' and ring the bell in case the dude was blind, he didn't seem to look at me while I watched him approach. Eventually I had to brake reasonabley hard and swerve a little while he moved over enough at the last second to let me past, almost running into his mate.

Muppet and cyclist 1/2 point each.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby wellington_street » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:41 am

Walk outside this morning and there's a (female) bell end on a bicycle merrily riding the wrong way up my one-way street. :roll:

'Proper' cyclist too, not some hipster on a fixie
wellington_street

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:49 am

Few days ago, a runner all in black with iPod blasting at full volume running down the absolute middle of a shared path. No amount of yelling "passing" at increasingly high volumes did any good. Even worse, he was waving his arms about while running and nearly flung his right arm into me as I went past. :roll:

These rogue runners should be forced to have registration so they can be identified when they do the wrong thing. :P
g-boaf

Postby PB12IN » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:04 pm

Boognoss wrote:
"Darwin's Theory"

Donald

And when said idiot does something stupid and nominates them selves for a Darwin Award with a car, no doubt the driver will be crusified by some on this forum for the cyclists death. :roll:
PB12IN

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:30 pm

A little rain and a Friday evening close to Xmas sure brings 'em out :(

Ninjas aplenty on Footscray Rd/ Harbour Esplanade, wobbly booted peds EVERYWHERE along Southbank. A near dooring from a seemingly unmanned Fire engine near the Town Hall was the last straw. Cut it short and got to work 25" early :roll:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:46 am

PB12IN wrote:
Boognoss wrote:
"Darwin's Theory"

Donald

And when said idiot does something stupid and nominates them selves for a Darwin Award with a car, no doubt the driver will be crusified by some on this forum for the cyclists death. :roll:

Depends ;-). Good debate either way.

Cheers, Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby KonaCommuter » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:27 am

Idiot jogger with headphones nearly taking out old timer on his pushie.

Idiot jogger = KonaCommuter :oops:
2012 Oppy A4 | 200x Hard tail Kona Blast Deluxe
KonaCommuter

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion