Singlespeed frankenbike/pub bike

Pravda

Singlespeed frankenbike/pub bike

Postby Pravda » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:33 pm

Here's a project I'm hoping is now nearing completion. I've been slowly collecting parts to build a singlespeed pub bike from an old Hillman MTB frame, a Bianchi wheelset from my old roadie and a similarly sourced FSA road crankset.

I'm at a turning point now and unsure as to whether I should stick with the road wheelset and whack on a road caliper brake on the front (fork is already drilled for it) or put the MTB wheels back on knobblys and all and put the cantilever brakes which came off the frame back on. Rear brakes are a significant challenge if I go down the 700c road wheels as the bike is fitted with chainstay mounted cantilevers and there doesn't appear to be any space for road calipers to be added.

The final thing is whether I'm dreaming by using a 50x16 ratio? The big ring isn't easily changed but i can bump the rear up to an 18 with no problems.

Appreciate anyone's advice or criticism.
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

HappyHumber

Re: Singlespeed frankenbike/pub bike

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:59 pm

Probably simpler and more durable to stick with the original 26" wheels.... despite a bit more general fiddliness setting up the cantis if you have them at hand. Bear in mind you you need maintain the cable at "centre" so you may need to source hangers and straddle cables at either end if you don't still have them.

I recently splashed out on a 2 x pairs of mini-v-brakes from the Fleabay for my hack bike for about $35. I use them with caliper/canti levers no worries - and you don't have to worry about cable centering mentioned.

Assuming the original 26" wheels are a screw on freewheel hubs - cheap BMX S/S freewheels are readily available though most are 1/8" width and you will need a chain to match.

That's a funky stem with the ball end above the steerer!*

[edit] * Looks like the stem has the cable centring hole for centre pulls so no need for dedicated hanger at least at the front.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:34 pm

Agree. If there's a hole in the stem, fit canti's. People whine about canti's, but they do work well. Alternatively, go mini-V's, they work well.

You could get a set of used 26" MTB wheels with cassette hubs that would fit your SS cog pretty cheap.

50/18 gets my vote. 71GI vs. 80GI. You're only losing 3km/h at the same RPM, and it'll be easier to start pedalling home after the shops. Cause you won't be riding under the influence, right? 8)

Jim

PANZR

Postby PANZR » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:10 pm

Canti's...I love canti's

Embrace your bikes retro awesomeness and use those cantilever brakes...especially when it has cool chainstay mounts

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:46 pm

Can you mount BMX u-brakes on canti studs? Now that'd be cool...

Jim

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:14 pm

errggh.... yick... I missed the bit about the chainstay mounts. One shameful part of MTBing history.

I was just sorting through some junk this arvo and found some tektro u-brakes if you're in need. I'd say they were off a ratted BMX that passed through my hands at some point, so it'd be worth checking reach required.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:12 pm

Ended up sticking with the 700c wheels and road calipers on the front. I have the option to go back to 26" and cantis if I so choose but this seems to be working ok at the moment. Pics coming.
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:00 pm

HappyHumber wrote:

That's a funky stem with the ball end above the steerer!*

Dick and balls stem.

HLC

Postby HLC » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:13 pm

50/16 is ok in Perth if you have the legs.

I've run 80gi brakeless for nearly 2 years now. Rode 70gi for over a year before that.