Boutique steel racing frame recommendations

boyracer

Re: Boutique steel racing frame recommendations

Postby boyracer » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:38 am

Touche.
Most of my bikes are 1/2 as old as me....but there still older than the other guys in the race!

TDC

Postby TDC » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:51 pm

il padrone wrote:
TDC wrote:Nice frames, but I think they 1" threaded fork
For nearly 100 of the last 110 years of the TdF, that is all the master pros rode on. Not sure I see what the problem with 1" steerers really is.
I agree. My Merckx Corsa Extra and Colnago Dream have i" threaded forks and headset. That's not what is holding me back. They look so much more elegant than Aheadsets. I was commenting because OP said he didn't want 1" threaded forks.

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:37 pm

Stems are an eye of the beholder thing. I'd prefer a threadless setup any day, at least on a steel bike built today (a restoration of an older bike might be a different matter). A head tube for 1,1/8" forks will certainly give you more fork options too.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:29 pm

Jean wrote:Stems are an eye of the beholder thing. I'd prefer a threadless setup any day, at least on a steel bike built today (a restoration of an older bike might be a different matter). A head tube for 1,1/8" forks will certainly give you more fork options too.
This is important. My old frame has a 1" threaded steerer and I'm going to convert it to a threadless setup at some point so I can run 31.6 mm handlebars. There are very few modern bars for 25.4 mm handlebar clamps.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

TDC

Postby TDC » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:14 pm

__PG__ wrote:
Jean wrote:Stems are an eye of the beholder thing. I'd prefer a threadless setup any day, at least on a steel bike built today (a restoration of an older bike might be a different matter). A head tube for 1,1/8" forks will certainly give you more fork options too.
This is important. My old frame has a 1" threaded steerer and I'm going to convert it to a threadless setup at some point so I can run 31.6 mm handlebars. There are very few modern bars for 25.4 mm handlebar clamps.
You could use one of these until you do full conversion.

http://www.this link is broken.au/profile-quill- ... converter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

humanbeing

Postby humanbeing » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:43 pm

__PG__ wrote:
The reissued Cinelli 1A quill stem has a 26mm clamp, quite a few handlebars available.
My personal preference is quill but most off the shelf steel frames these days will have a 1 & 1/8 threadless steerer and of course a custom frame can be made how you like.
Different strokes for different folks,
Peter
2012 Jim Bundy
1995 Bosevski - Athena
mid/late eighties Colnago Cromor

joewrcompositi

Postby joewrcompositi » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:42 am

Two Italian Company's that are famous for Steel Frames are Zullo http://www.zullo-bike.com/prodotti.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and Scapin http://www.scapin.com/ita/bici-carbonio ... t/gallery/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jean

Postby Jean » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:18 am

Ooohhh, those Scapins are very nice. :) As much as I like 'classic' steel frames, I'm increasingly liking modern takes like that.

booge

Postby booge » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:14 pm

I had a Scapin, was an EOS Team, made around the year 2000 i think. Columbus Foco, worst 'bike' decision i've made was to sell it for something new.
If you can get one second hand I'd still highly recommend them. I still check eBay to see if any are going cheap, unfortunately the wife would kill me if i added another bike. The Scapins really do have a life all of their own. Not as light as carbon but feel so good to ride that weight just isn't a consideration when you're riding one. Aaahhh regrets.....

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:22 pm

Scapin apparently no longer made in Italy according to a gent I spoke to on Amy's ride. He had a nice TIG columbus one. BMC cycles in Adelaide used to rep 'em.

booge

Postby booge » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:32 pm

I think just the new carbon fibre ones are not Italian made. Steel is apparently still made in Italy....I stand to be corrected though.

joewrcompositi

Postby joewrcompositi » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:31 pm

Stefano Scapin did sell the company years ago but still has some involvement in the company. Steel Scapins and high end still made in Italy, I'm sure the lower end are made in Taiwan. My friend was the sole importer a couple of years ago and still has some steel and carbon Scapins left in his shop, i use to have a Scapin EKLE SL carbon bike it was beautiful but now have a WR COMPOSITI bike .

Jean

Postby Jean » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:08 am

The cache of an Italian built bike is OK as far as it goes, but Reynolds/Columbus/Tange etc tubing doesn't mystically change its properties the further east it is put together into a frame, and a well done weld/braze is a well done weld/braze. I wouldn't let the source of the frame bother me too much (in fact at all) as long the brand was reputable and you were confident you had recourse for a fault.

If it was being presented as one thing and actually another, well that would be annoying.