First road bike narrowed down two potentials

notmyrealname

First road bike narrowed down two potentials

Postby notmyrealname » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:31 am

Narrowed down two potentials both the same price on special. My intended usage is ~100km rides and have ideas for lightweight touring later on.

Appollo vispo carbon with 105 - only did a short ride on this in a carpark. Very light and ride feels OK, but will need to try get a longer ride. Sore neck in just a few minutes :) Given I'm aiming for long rides I think a test ride should be 20 minutes or more.
Offer a free first service and a basic free fitting and close to home. Franchise bike store.

Merida ride 95 alloy w carbon fork and ultegra - managed to score a 50km ride on a demo bike. Feeling sore lower back for it too.
Negative is no first free service and just a seat adjustment, new shop with young staff and a bit further from home. They deal with only a few brands and have limited stock so I'd probably have to shop elsewhere for accessories.

My only hesitation with the 95 is the size. Lower back felt sore after just first 5km so I'm wondering if a larger frame would suit better, it's just a newbie thing, or I need a proper fit. There's no larger frames available though. It doesn't feel small, but I don't know.

With the 95 I was thinking should I upgrade later I could swap the groupset over to a better/different frame or the resale value of ultegra would also be a little higher? Where the carbon frame seems very entry level anyway so would just be a getting started bike, but not sure of resale potential of the two bikes. Still 105 seem decent.

The way I see it I'd have to cough up for a decent fitting somewhere with either of these bikes. At 6ft seems I'm on the border of some frame sizes and I'm not sure if the lower back discomfort is too small frame or just new angles of the road bike.

See any flaws in my thinking on this or any other suggestions to consider?

Having read the buyers guide I don't want to overspend early (under $2k inc accessories) but still want a decent bike and these seem ok to start with.

Cheers.

jasonc

Re: First road bike narrowed down two potentials

Postby jasonc » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:33 am

notmyrealname wrote:At 6ft seems I'm on the border of some frame sizes and I'm not sure if the lower back discomfort is too small frame or just new angles of the road bike.
I'm similar height and it's easier to make a small bike bigger than a big bike smaller. I've got a 56 frame
back discomfort could be due to a lack of flexibility or a poor fit (or both)

nuttzo32

Postby nuttzo32 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:19 am

notmyrealname wrote:Merida ride 95 alloy w carbon fork and ultegra - managed to score a 50km ride on a demo bike. Feeling sore lower back for it too.
Negative is no first free service and just a seat adjustment, new shop with young staff and a bit further from home. They deal with only a few brands and have limited stock so I'd probably have to shop elsewhere for accessories."
If the lbs doesn't offer a free first service then i would steer clear of that particular shop. I would also keep shopping around if i were you as there a plenty more bikes and bargains to be had,you shouldn't have to force yourself onto a smaller frame because the lbs doesn't have the right size for you.

drpants

Postby drpants » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:36 am

I would have a look at giant defy series, specialized roubaix or cannondale synapse if I were you.

You'd be able to get carbon/105 or Alu/ultegra for that kind of money.

Where are you located?

reefer

Postby reefer » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:24 am

I would be asking to get fitted correctly to the bike before taking it for well over an hour test ride. And test ride many types.

I am doing this right now in the search for my next bike.

LBS provide a service and charge well for it. Use them as intended. :)

notmyrealname

Postby notmyrealname » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:49 pm

jasonc wrote:
notmyrealname wrote:At 6ft seems I'm on the border of some frame sizes and I'm not sure if the lower back discomfort is too small frame or just new angles of the road bike.
I'm similar height and it's easier to make a small bike bigger than a big bike smaller. I've got a 56 frame
back discomfort could be due to a lack of flexibility or a poor fit (or both)
This is a M/L which according to the following link makes it a 54cm seat tube and 55cm top tube. I'm 182-183cm barefoot.
http://www.merida-bikes.com/nl_nl/bike/ ... Lite+95-30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
drpants wrote:I would have a look at giant defy series, specialized roubaix or cannondale synapse if I were you.

You'd be able to get carbon/105 or Alu/ultegra for that kind of money.
I can't find the same level specs available at the moment for $1500 (excluding accessories).

jemima

Postby jemima » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:18 pm

Paying cash may get you the bike for a bit cheaper.

I've seen some 2012 Defy Composite Ultegra's for $1750.

Some bike shops may have short Boxing Day sales in your area.

Personally I think the Giant bikes give you better spec (e.g. full 105, or Ultegra) overall than other brands for the price.

The Merida Ride's have a shorter head tube than the Defy's.
So if you're thinking about touring down the track, a taller head tube might be the go.
Though how much a carbon Giant frame is suited for light touring I don't know.

Last of all; fit, fit and fit.

antipodean

Postby antipodean » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:58 pm

jemima wrote:Last of all; fit, fit and fit.
As long as the size is right any bike can be adjusted to "fit".

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:25 am

At 182-183cm tall a top tube of 56cm would be better suited unless you have a short torso and arms.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:46 am

I'm 184cm tall and a 56-57cm tt suits me.
You need to take some measurements and find out what size frame you need here
Dogs are the best people :wink:

notmyrealname

Postby notmyrealname » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:08 pm

biker jk wrote:At 182-183cm tall a top tube of 56cm would be better suited unless you have a short torso and arms.
Yeah, I tried a Reacto 907 in 57cm (different geometry to the Ride though) and it felt good with the seat just above the handle bars (full spacers). It's a bit more expensive, though discounted.

Guess that's 3 potentials :) Decisions, decisions...

notmyrealname

Postby notmyrealname » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:16 pm

Correction according to their website it's a 575mm TT and 560mm ST