First Upgrade- $100?

TZ2102
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:31 pm

First Upgrade- $100?

Postby TZ2102 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:47 pm

Have a cannondale caad 8 105.

have about $100 to play with, should I upgrade anything or save it for a later bigger upgrade?

Wheels - Maddux RS 3.0 (came with bike)
Tyres - Shwalbe Lugano
Saddle - Cannondale came with bike --> Not very comfy on the drop bars
already have shoes,pedals etc.

If I should get something which model?
Last edited by TZ2102 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
open roader
Posts: 2904
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:05 pm
Location: Dueling Banjo Country

Re: Upgrade?

Postby open roader » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:31 pm

A. save.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

Marty Moose
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:00 pm
Location: W.A

Re: Upgrade?

Postby Marty Moose » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:41 pm

open roader wrote:A. save.

+2

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

TZ2102
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:31 pm

Re: Upgrade?

Postby TZ2102 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:43 pm

you wouldnt go for something like shwalbe ultremo zlx or continental GP4000s? (The Lugano's are new but I heard that they aren't great..they cost $14 on wiggle)

User avatar
mitzikatzi
Posts: 1863
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Perth

Re: First Upgrade- $100?

Postby mitzikatzi » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:51 pm

Any points of contact that are uncomfortable. Saddle, pedals etc or save

User avatar
jacks1071
Posts: 3040
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:47 pm
Location: Mackay, QLD
Contact:

Re: First Upgrade- $100?

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:26 am

Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

jasonc
Posts: 8632
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: First Upgrade- $100?

Postby jasonc » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:17 am

jacks1071 wrote:Keep saving for a set of these:

Image

http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/index.p ... oductId=19


$100 of scratchies, then buy a set of the above

drpants
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Upgrade?

Postby drpants » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:02 am

TZ2102 wrote:you wouldnt go for something like shwalbe ultremo zlx or continental GP4000s? (The Lugano's are new but I heard that they aren't great..they cost $14 on wiggle)


+1 to new tyres, when I switched from 23mm lugano to 25mm GP4000s it was a huge difference.
I'd say a much more noticable difference than switching from the RS10 to RS80 C24 :shock:

TZ2102
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:31 pm

Re: Upgrade?

Postby TZ2102 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:35 am

drpants wrote:
TZ2102 wrote:you wouldnt go for something like shwalbe ultremo zlx or continental GP4000s? (The Lugano's are new but I heard that they aren't great..they cost $14 on wiggle)


+1 to new tyres, when I switched from 23mm lugano to 25mm GP4000s it was a huge difference.
I'd say a much more noticable difference than switching from the RS10 to RS80 C24 :shock:


How come you went for the 25mm? Was the difference performance or just feel?

drpants
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Upgrade?

Postby drpants » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:02 pm

TZ2102 wrote:
drpants wrote:
TZ2102 wrote:you wouldnt go for something like shwalbe ultremo zlx or continental GP4000s? (The Lugano's are new but I heard that they aren't great..they cost $14 on wiggle)


+1 to new tyres, when I switched from 23mm lugano to 25mm GP4000s it was a huge difference.
I'd say a much more noticable difference than switching from the RS10 to RS80 C24 :shock:


How come you went for the 25mm? Was the difference performance or just feel?


Just read a few things on the web saying that performance should be barely affected but with a fairly significant improvement in ride quality.
Since the old tyres were a fair bit worse, I got better performance and better ride quality... Could be just the improvement to the GP4000s rather than the size though, who knows!

Maybe next time I'll try the 23s

sb944
Posts: 172
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: First Upgrade- $100?

Postby sb944 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:20 pm

Don't get tyres, they are just maintenance items. Wear down your originals (2-4000kms), then get some nice replacements when needed.

$100 won't go far for performance upgrades I don't think, but here are a few things I'd consider with $100 to spend on 1 bike item:
* Better lights for front and rear, mainly for being seen
* More cycling shorts/tops
* Cycling sunglasses
* Nice helmet
* Bike tool set for self maintenance
* Quality floor pump
Image

R12RT
Posts: 475
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:47 am
Location: Ballajura, Western Australia

Re: First Upgrade- $100?

Postby R12RT » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:47 pm

jacks1071 wrote:Keep saving for a set of these:

Image

http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/index.p ... oductId=19



You are shameless, Deon! :lol: :lol:
John Beaven
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1

drpants
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: First Upgrade- $100?

Postby drpants » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:34 pm

sb944 wrote:Don't get tyres, they are just maintenance items. Wear down your originals (2-4000kms), then get some nice replacements when needed.

$100 won't go far for performance upgrades I don't think, but here are a few things I'd consider with $100 to spend on 1 bike item:
* Better lights for front and rear, mainly for being seen
* More cycling shorts/tops
* Cycling sunglasses
* Nice helmet
* Bike tool set for self maintenance
* Quality floor pump


It's not like he's going to chuck out the current tyres...
I would agree that all those things are more important however, especially a fairly nice toolkit!

User avatar
jacks1071
Posts: 3040
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:47 pm
Location: Mackay, QLD
Contact:

Re: First Upgrade- $100?

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:08 pm

R12RT wrote:
jacks1071 wrote:Keep saving for a set of these:

http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/index.p ... oductId=19



You are shameless, Deon! :lol: :lol:


Daddy's gotta pay the school fees :-)
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GAV!N, MSNbot Media