Help With Chain Question + Tensioner Help

mattwilkinson

Help With Chain Question + Tensioner Help

Postby mattwilkinson » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:51 pm

Hey guys,

I pretty much I got a single speed chain, And it fits perfectly. But the KMC quick link won't go on.
I know your supposed to have 2 of the 'full links' not sure what there called.
Is there anyway to convert this or has my SS build failed me?
If you don't know what i mean theres pics at the bottom.

I tried using the tensioner before. But everything I tried and the chain would rub on the side of the 'roller'
I am using triple cranks, As I cannot unbolt it to a single crank. I undid the bolts and all that came off was the bashguard.
Here is the conversion kit I used:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160883820054 ... 798wt_1393" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BRLVR.v2

Re: Help With Chain Question + Tensioner Help

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:36 pm

You need a chain breaker to remove the the opened ended link on the right of pic. Then your quick link goes in that gap overlaping the two narrower links together.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:38 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:You need a chain breaker to remove the the opened ended link on the right of pic. Then your quick link goes in that gap overlaping the two narrower links together.
This may help
http://www.google.com.au/imgres?num=10& ... 0,s:0,i:88" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:48 pm

If I take that off the chain won't be long enough :(

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:31 pm

Then you need to add half a link back in. If that makes the chain too short, then you should use the tensioner.

You'd probably also benefit by reading an article on chainline.

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:30 pm

I think the build has failed.

Line up the cog with the chainring. The tensioner rubs
Line up the cog with the tensioner. The tensioner rubs

I might just put the derailleurs back on and get the bike shop to handle a new chain

Thanks for your help anyway,

Matt

HLC

Postby HLC » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:18 pm

mattwilkinson wrote:I think the build has failed.

Line up the cog with the chainring. The tensioner rubs
Line up the cog with the tensioner. The tensioner rubs

I might just put the derailleurs back on and get the bike shop to handle a new chain

Thanks for your help anyway,

Matt
put the tensioner on, take your bike to a shop, they will fit a chain accordingly.

Not sure why the tensioner is rubbing in both scenarios unless you have installed it incorrectly.

The point of a tensioner is to pick up excess slack in the chain if it's too long.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:10 am

Your quick link needs both of the narrow sections to join to, like the left hand end. That will mean adding a section, or getting a half link quick link. MY chain was short by only a mm or 2 so I had to add another link which meant the chain was effectivly as long as the tensioner would handle, a mm or two shorter in the frame or the chainring or cog a smidgen smaller and I wouldnt have needed the tensioner at all. Its just the luck of the draw when building SS.

Is your single cog in the right chain line? If you are using spacers they should be able to be rearranged to shift the cog across the hub to line up better with the chainring and help stop the rubbing. The cog doesn't go 'in the middle' My first attempt at SS took a couple of different goes to get the chainline right.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.