Rossin bike- general advice re purchase

fionahills

Rossin bike- general advice re purchase

Postby fionahills » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:30 am

HI there

As some of you may know by now I know very little about bikes - but hubby has been dropping not so subtle hints about buying him an 'old' bike for xmas.

This one described below as per ad is one of the ones he sent through as a good example of what he wants:

The guy is asking $1000 firm - there are a series of pics and it looks as described - is this something I should buy as a novice? Are there any specific things I need to look out for? Or is it too much of a gamble? I don't even know if it is a reasonable price... no idea about age but apparently hubby has done a bit of snooping and all sounds well. It's the only one left of the several he provided as examples - ie please buy me one of these for xmas...... :D :D

I could leave it til he gets home - he would not be able to look at it til after Xmas and may sell before he gets a chance - Is it rare enough to take a chance on - thanks guys as always appreciate your help.

For sale. Vintage rossin road bike in original condition. Columbus frame with campagnolo dropouts. Frame is 54cm top & 54cm seat tube. -Paint does have some scratches. - some chrome bolts have surface rust - needs new rear tyre -chrome needs a polish. -no dents bends or cracks. Has campagnolo super record groupset. - cranks are the non machined version -levers have light scratches, hood rubbers are cracking. - rear derailleur has a light scratch - front derailleur was NOS when fitted last year. - pedals, have titanium axles & have scratches on the edges. - freewheel is a Regina - hubs, low flange record -rims, fiamme, good condition - seat post 27.2mm -No chain fitted, will include a NOS suntour chain. - will also include a set of NOS ambrisio rims

munga

Re: Rossin bike- general advice re purchase

Postby munga » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:14 am

rossin are fairly uncommon, and very highly regarded frames, so if you're comfortable with paying a grand, and your husband loves the bike, you can't go wrong!

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:26 am

munga wrote:rossin are fairly uncommon, and very highly regarded frames, so if you're comfortable with paying a grand, and your husband loves the bike, you can't go wrong!
I agree, Rossin's were well built bikes and this one is fitted with top-end components. The cranks sound like they are circa 1985 and the pedals are quite desirable. I think the asking price is reasonable. I don't think you would 'go wrong' with this bike if you were looking for a classic Italian bike.

dubrat

Postby dubrat » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:19 am

I'm not so sure on the price in this buyers market but The groupset seems to be in good condition and is my fav non fluted SR crankset.

I to had considered flicking him an offer.

Rossin are a high quality builder and this is a good example. Frame and fork could use a rejuvenation. The new tyres and bar wrap and it will be a great vintage ride for many years to come....

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:25 am

thanks guys - have left it to my better half - too much money for a 'surprise' - but if he still wants it will go ahead

thank you again, merry xmas

fiona