Removing Old Spokes

peteGS

Removing Old Spokes

Postby peteGS » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:50 pm

Hey all, anyone got any tips on removing old spokes?

I've got a pair of Westwood pattern 28 x 1 1/2" wheels that I need to swap the hubs on with some drum brakes and they need some lovin' but I can't get the spokes out.

I've squirted some penetrating oil on them but trying to undo them with a spanner just starts twisting the spoke. What's the secret?

hiflange

Re: Removing Old Spokes

Postby hiflange » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:17 am

You could cut them and just push the halves out their respective spoke holes - unless you're hoping to preserve the spokes for re-use of course

peteGS

Postby peteGS » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:49 am

Right now I'm not 100% sure if I can re-use them or not, so I'd really prefer to preserve them if I can... cutting them did cross my mind but I'll leave that as a last resort.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:30 am

I've squirted some penetrating oil on them but trying to undo them with a spanner just starts twisting the spoke. What's the secret?[/quote]

the secret is a proper spoke tool , is that what your using?

barkmadly

Postby barkmadly » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:15 am

To my way of thinking, unless the nipples can easily be undone then they are cactus. They burr and the spokes threads damage making it very difficult to true when you rebuild. I hear you, non shiny spokes do look better on a preserved bike though. Give Torana's (SLR5000, A9X, GTR Xu1, rebadged Vauxhall Viva??? ) idea go.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:37 am

Re-using old spokes is always a dodgy move (although I must admit to doing it myself on occasion) If the nipples are seized on then the spoke is almost certainly not worth the effort. Just cut them out and buy new spokes. Remembering to keep the little washers under the spoke heads for later use if your wheel has them). You can buy plated and rustless spokes if stainless on old bikes worries you from a guy on e-Bay (OzBikeStar possibly?)
Cheers
Richard

barkmadly

Postby barkmadly » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:47 am

Buy plated (not stainless) spokes from 'bike parts plus more' - an online seller in Melbourne. Has 311 mm spokes too. Good prices and service.

peteGS

Postby peteGS » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:29 am

Thanks for the replies and tips guys. This is my first foray into spokes on anything and I have two sets of 28" wheels I want to restore so it'll be worthwhile getting the right tools for the job. I'll also have a set of motorcycle wheels to do down the track.

Torana, nope, just a spanner... perhaps that makes me the spanner? :P I'm assuming something like this would be the go (this was my first search result):

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TL0007-SPOKE ... 2623wt_865" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for re-using, thanks again guys... I wasn't sure on that but the main reason to get them out in one piece is to be able to measure them accurately. Some of the ones I've got will be the right length for the drums, but some won't, so I need to work that out. I've come across spoke length calculators online so I'll use several of them to make sure I get the same results and get the right size. Thanks for the supplier links too!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:23 pm

Not that one Pete, try something like THIS. You'll have to be sure to get the right size tho'.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

peteGS

Postby peteGS » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:29 am

Thanks Shaun, looks like I'll have to get the Verniers out and see what size they are.

That one's not going to be here until the New Year so I'll hunt some more and see if there's any locally I can get before Christmas...

Quick edit: Forgot to ask what's the difference between the two? Is one just easier to use than the other?

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:04 am

Quick edit: Forgot to ask what's the difference between the two? Is one just easier to use than the other?[/quote]

the second one is far easier to use, if you still have issues tighten the nipple a little before removing sometimes that gets them going, your local LBS should have one

peteGS

Postby peteGS » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:16 am

Thanks again, will get the Verniers out today or tonight and go looking...

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:38 am

peteGS wrote:I wasn't sure on that but the main reason to get them out in one piece is to be able to measure them accurately. Some of the ones I've got will be the right length for the drums, but some won't, so I need to work that out. I've come across spoke length calculators online so I'll use several of them to make sure I get the same results and get the right size.
The online spoke length calculators are pretty useless with old rims and hubs as their databases only have measurements for current kit. To use them you'll need to establish the effective rim diameter (ERD), hub flange radius to spoke holes and flange offset for your rims and hubs.

Roger Musson has a simple method for measuring ERD accurately using the nipple ends of two old spokes. Can't recommend his ebook highly enough, get it here for USD $14. He has a spoke calc on his site too.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:31 am

RobertFrith wrote:Roger Musson has a simple method for measuring ERD accurately using the nipple ends of two old spokes. Can't recommend his ebook highly enough, get it here for USD $14. He has a spoke calc on his site too.
+ Lots.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

peteGS

Postby peteGS » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:54 am

Thanks again guys, have bookmarked his site and will get his e-Book for sure.

Didn't get to do any measuring last night (hot day + pool + beer = no measuring) but should get into it this week.

Looks like Roger + a proper spoke tool will have me sorted.

Cheers!

peteGS

Postby peteGS » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:15 pm

Just wanted to say thanks again guys. I've now got Roger's eBook which I will start reading and I just bought a set of spoke tools off eBay as they seemed the best value:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121010821781 ... _500wt_882" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After measuring with the verniers, I need at least two different sizes just for one of the wheels...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:03 am

That's the way Pete. :) Good seller too, I've dealt with them quite a few times.

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

peteGS

Postby peteGS » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:25 am

Good stuff Shaun, always good to get a good eBay seller, feedback can be misleading at times... can't wait to get the tools and get stuck into it now! Lots of reading ahead of me :)

sled

Postby sled » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:24 am

barkmadly wrote:Buy plated (not stainless) spokes from 'bike parts plus more' - an online seller in Melbourne. Has 311 mm spokes too. Good prices and service.

I need to respoke my wheels i don't see why you wouldn't use stainless???

peteGS

Postby peteGS » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:41 am

For authenticity on a restoration :)