High End bike for Commuting - Waste?

rdwaltonut

High End bike for Commuting - Waste?

Postby rdwaltonut » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:23 am

I have a dilemma, I can obtain one of several high end bikes with high end gruppos for cheap in the US, but would it be a waste of money on my part if my main use of the bike were commuting and longer rides on the weekends?

Example, I have the chance to buy either a 2011 Litespeed C2 with Dura Ace for $1318 or a BMC TeamMachine SLR01 with Ultegra Di2 for $1574.

Advice?
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." -Yoda-

rkelsen

Re: High End bike for Commuting - Waste?

Postby rkelsen » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:04 am

Sounds like a Nigerian scam.

Avoid.

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:27 am

rkelsen wrote:Sounds like a Nigerian scam.

Avoid.
+1. I'd be doing some research before letting go of any of my ready's on this one. Put the site up here and see if anyone has had dealing with it before and if they've come across any scam warnings.

In response to your other question regarding a high end bike for commuting, consider the following:
1. carbon fibre and typical work bike storage don't really go well together.
2. high end parts generally don't last as long as mid range ones (e.g. Shimano 105 is a good compromise between performance and durability).
3. security. Thieves know their gear.

Some time back there was some discussion about his in another thread. One comment that did stand out was along the lines of, if you can afford it and it makes you feel good then do it!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:53 pm

Stay well clear of those. It seems too good to be true.

For commuting, don't use a top end bike. All you need to do is have someone run you off the road and then your high end bike is trashed. Security is a problem and I don't know about others, but storing bikes at work (where I am) doesn't seem safe. The only time I had mine in at work with me, I kept it in the office beside my desk.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:09 pm

Security is the first thing you have to be concerned about. I note that my Trek 2.1 2012 (the beater LOL) is better than the other bikes in the rack, but not so nice that it becomes a target. My abuse of the bike doesn't make it attractice either. I would NOT like my Madone 5.2 to be there every day though. The regular appearance of a target makes it easier to plan the theft.

The bike isn't likely to be an issue for durability unless you are all weather riding. That's the reason I have the second bike, so the sand and filth can destroy the crappy groupset :D

hannos

Postby hannos » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:03 pm

rdwaltonut wrote:
Example, I have the chance to buy either a 2011 Litespeed C2 with Dura Ace for $1318 or a BMC TeamMachine SLR01 with Ultegra Di2 for $1574.

Advice?

No actually you don't. What you have is the chance to lose your money.

For the record, I ride a BMC SLC01 (2010 model) with SRAM Red grouppo to work. It's insured so if I does get damaged in ana ccident I'll be able to replace it.
2010 BMC SLC01

melbnut

Postby melbnut » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:40 pm

I would much prefer to have one great bike than a couple of mediocre ones...

I ride a parlee z1 to work (when i actually harden up and ride) and i love it. Whats the point in having a garage queen.

Oh but i do have fantastic secure bike storage at my office and the bike is insured.

pagey

Postby pagey » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:11 pm

You don't buy a Ferrari to just drive on Sundays! Most people will do more miles 'training' whilst they commute than miles on the weekend, so enjoy your ride.
cheers
Pagey

Blackrock

Postby Blackrock » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:49 am

We all go through life and slowly upgrade (mostly!) our material possessions to within our means. I like to get the best I can within my budget, because I've earnt it and like to enjoy it. I have a carbon flat bar to commute on and the fun level compared to my commuting MTB is beyond belief. I love every ride on the Merida and it has made the ride more than just a chore.
That said, I have secure, secret storage at work and I'm insured.
All of the above is advice from others that have different arrangements to you. Take them as advice and make a choice based on what you've got to play with. I'd like to hear if any of the above have a fancy car they drive only on weekends or if they use it to go to work. Interesting to see if their bike situation is echoed in their car situation.

Get a good bike, feel good riding it and enjoy the time in the saddle!!
Bike: 2014 Merida Cyclocross 5

Find me on youtube and FB page; Merida Test Rider-Commuter Bikes.

http://www.merida.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sb944

Postby sb944 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:04 pm

I have commuted about 4 months on a carbon road bike without problems, except a few punctures. Last week I was contemplating buying a cheap commuter to get me to and from work, and wear down cheaper parts, be less of a concern if I got in a crash, or potentially getting stolen etc.

But part of the reason I commute so often, and do extra kms on some commutes is I'm out there having fun, setting new PB's on strava, improving average speeds etc. It just wouldn't be as fun on a cheaper bike.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:52 pm

A high end bike is wasted if it is not used. It'll just get worn out quicker commuting. If it was my high end bike for commuting I'd probably replace the wear parts with cheaper stuff when worn out, or if funds allowed save the good stuff for non commuting rides. ie wheels, cassette, chain, tyres.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:04 pm

Obviously, you need more than one bike.

You need a utility bike that can handle the wear, tear and grime of commuting, and won't be a major loss if it is damaged or stolen.

And you need a high-end bike to ride to the coffee shop on the weekend. :)

Note: this not a complete list - you may need other bikes as well. An MTB perhaps, or a fixie? A TT bike? Maybe a tourer?

As has often been expressed on the forums, the optimum number of bikes is n + 1, where n is the number of bikes you have currently.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

JohnJoyner

Postby JohnJoyner » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:36 pm

IMO ride whatever bike you want & can afford. If you have a high end bike & want to use it for commuting, go right ahead. It's only a waste of money if the bike sits in the shed collecting dust.
As has been mentioned & as I have found also, I commute more often & ride more often, because it's more fun on my better bike.
As long as you have a safe & secure place to leave your bike at work, then ride whatever pleases you. :D

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:25 pm

I definitely agree that it depends on your circumstances. I go through workplaces (8 or so in 4 years), so I can't assume anything about security. I go to uni and shop on my commuter bike too, so it needs to be robust enough to cope with inadvertent bumps. It gets ridden, and occasionally left, in the rain so chains and clusters tend to wear out - no value in pricey ones. Having to replace an aluminium (or worse, titanium) cluster that I wore out commuting would irritate me no end. Rims go concave after a while too. With traditional wheels, meh, get a new rim, lace it up, get on with your life. With typical high-end road rims, I'd go for a new wheel or, at a pinch, a properly switched-on wheelbuilder. Broken spokes (I've had a few) are another good one. A 36-spoke wheel is still ridable with a broken spoke. Even two isn't catastrophic. I wouldn't be too cocky about an 18-spoker.

With all that in mind, it'd make no sense for me to commute on a high-end road bike. It's not so much that the initial purchase would be a waste of money, more that it'd be needlessly expensive to maintain and entail annoying maintenance issues that a cheaper, tougher, bike wouldn't. YMMV, of course.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:33 am

I think that perhaps the most important consideration is securing your bike whilst you're working. If you're comfortable that your bike will be secure, yeah a high end bike is fully justifiable to me.
2012 Oppy A4

harry.major

Postby harry.major » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:18 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:I think that perhaps the most important consideration is securing your bike whilst you're working. If you're comfortable that your bike will be secure, yeah a high end bike is fully justifiable to me.
Agreed.
Back hom in London I used to have a descent stable of rides at any given time, but I always ended up commuting on the best one. If you're going to ride a bike every day why not ride a nice one. As long as its going to be safe whilst your at work, fancy bikes make nice commuters - that is unless you live in a dense urban jungle and your bike is designed for TTs....

Riuding nice bikes is a joy after all!

Phil

Postby Phil » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:13 pm

JohnJoyner wrote:IMO ride whatever bike you want & can afford. If you have a high end bike & want to use it for commuting, go right ahead. It's only a waste of money if the bike sits in the shed collecting dust.
As has been mentioned & as I have found also, I commute more often & ride more often, because it's more fun on my better bike.
As long as you have a safe & secure place to leave your bike at work, then ride whatever pleases you. :D

Agreed, chains, tyres, cassettes still a fair bit cheaper than depreciation, fuel, servicing, tyres on cars, not to mention the fitness benefits - plus hopefully less stress from not crawling in peak hour.

Gerry.M

Postby Gerry.M » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:02 am

rdwaltonut wrote:I have a dilemma, I can obtain one of several high end bikes with high end gruppos for cheap in the US, but would it be a waste of money on my part if my main use of the bike were commuting and longer rides on the weekends?

Advice?
Is this from sale bikes dot com?

http://www.sale-bikes.com/products/Lite ... -Bike.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Has anyone ever bought anything from them before?
They're in Indonesia not the US but the prices are the same.

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:08 am

It's a scam

Gerry.M

Postby Gerry.M » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:08 am

Lebowski wrote:
rdwaltonut wrote:I have a dilemma, I can obtain one of several high end bikes with high end gruppos for cheap in the US, but would it be a waste of money on my part if my main use of the bike were commuting and longer rides on the weekends?

Advice?
Is this from sale bikes dot com?

http://www.sale-bikes.com/products/Lite ... -Bike.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Has anyone ever bought anything from them before?
They're in Indonesia not the US but the prices are the same.
Answered my own question, yes it is...

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... =9&t=59633" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;