Dislocated hip

azzurribike

Dislocated hip

Postby azzurribike » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:18 pm

Great ride up Welshpool and back on Saturday apart from my sudden stop. Young driver P plater with mum in car on the way to a job interview did not see our paceline of 3 pulled out in front of us. Subsequent evasive action saw me hit the deck. No breaks but incredibly painful hip dislocation.

Lots of lessons learnt. Not sure I will ever ride paceline again.

Anyone know what the rehab is like time, outcome?
Last edited by azzurribike on Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
be the change in the world you want to see

stealthbike

Re: Dislocated hip

Postby stealthbike » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:28 pm

I have only witnessed a dislocated hip once before and it is certinly not pretty and very painful. Not sure how long the rehab takes but I wish you a speedy recovery.
2010 Specialized Roubaix Elite - Black
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results" - Winston Churchill

rcmkII

Postby rcmkII » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:06 pm

Hope you recover quickly.

For the record, since August I've had flashing front and rear lights going day and night, whenever I get on the bike. Still had four near misses with drivers pulling right out in front of me.
Riding and writing my way to health and happiness.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:28 pm

Ouch, that sounds very sore. Without wanting into the nitty-gritty, is that where the leg bone pops out of the the joint at the hip?

People pull out ALL the time, if we don't make eye contact, I'm all over the brakes just in case.

Best of luck with a speedy recovery.

azzurribike

Postby azzurribike » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:27 am

Yes, apparently there are two types anterior and posterior dislocation. I'm special and had the uncommon anterior. I'm incredibly lucky really could have been a lot lot worse.

I must say a huge thanks to my riding buddies, RPH staff. Ambulance and even transport WA for the bus driver who kindly parked the bus halfway across the road to protect me while I was on the road.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:37 pm

Did you not ask the doctor and physio? At this point, only they know the extent of your problem and background and the likely recovery time frame.

Just remember, there are no broken bones but the ligaments around the hip joint has been stretched and likely "damaged" in some ways. Ligamental damages can take a rather variable period to recover with variable longer term outcome. It's better to be conservative on this first episode than to risk longer term hip joint instability.

Safe paceline riding takes skill and can be learnt over time. It's a very useful skill when properly applied. Otherwise everyone needs to make up their own mind as to the appropriate risk level.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

azzurribike

Postby azzurribike » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:22 pm

Thanks sogood RPH were not very informative about prognosis, I imagine they are waiting for my visit on the 6th to see how things are going then setup physio etc.

In the meantime I guess its time to start the claim process. Any advice most welcome on pitfalls things to avoid. I now have some degree of permanent damage etc so need maximise the personal injury claim to cover costs downstream.

cheers :D