What about those pesky `speedwell` serial numbers.

ammie7

What about those pesky `speedwell` serial numbers.

Postby ammie7 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:12 am

Alot has been discussed abot M/Star numbers, But what about the obvious chronological dating system of Speedwell?
month/year/number of frames? . So does anyone have High end Speedwell frames??? ~Royal~Olympic~Super sport?????? If you do, post it, as its add`s weight/subtracts from the ~~~wrong paint scheme`~~~ sherloc`s on this site.

Torana68

Re: What about those pesky `speedwell` serial numbers.

Postby Torana68 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:48 pm

ammie7 wrote:Alot has been discussed abot M/Star numbers, But what about the obvious chronological dating system of Speedwell?
month/year/number of frames? . So does anyone have High end Speedwell frames??? ~Royal~Olympic~Super sport?????? If you do, post it, as its add`s weight/subtracts from the ~~~wrong paint scheme`~~~ sherloc`s on this site.
there is no obvious Speedwell system, you cant pindown any known Australian maker to month, only one is some years of MS you get the year. I have high end Speedwell frames, as do others on here :D

ammie7

Postby ammie7 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:59 pm

Yes i agree. But there seems to be on the earlier, ((up to mid forties) high end frames. I appreciate the variance in colours and components. From my investigation there seems to be a alot of excellent history, but some major pieces missing. hopefully someone discovers some long lost scrapbook from an old racer. I was thinking of purchasing the book One Hundred years of Steel?? have you read it?

scratchman

Postby scratchman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:57 pm

ammie7 wrote:Yes i agree. But there seems to be on the earlier, ((up to mid forties) high end frames. I appreciate the variance in colours and components. From my investigation there seems to be a alot of excellent history, but some major pieces missing. hopefully someone discovers some long lost scrapbook from an old racer. I was thinking of purchasing the book One Hundred years of Steel?? have you read it?
I haven't read it yet, I'm hoping Santa remembers me! however from other comments on here it's worth getting just from a lover of old bikes point of view.
It seems to me that keeping records of bike serial numbers wasn't a priority for bike builders back in the day, or even now :shock:
Phil

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:19 pm

The Racing Bicycle, a hundred years of steel, is a very good book, with lots of pictures and information about steel bikes. And even a couple of aluminium ones, and early carbon fibre as well. Plenty of Australian made vintage and classic steel bikes to drool over. Race out and buy a copy for all your friends and relatives for Christmas. (I am slightly biased.)
Warren

ammie7

Postby ammie7 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:14 pm

Thanks`s Warren and `Scratchman. lol. ((me thinks Warren might be involved?)).

[removed by moderator]

Mod says: off-topic posts removed. Since this topic has sat fallow since 2012 it can continue to do so. If you'd like it unlocked, please PM one of the moderators, or just start a new topic.