Race Report Thread

jules21

Re: Race Report Thread

Postby jules21 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:01 pm

your numbers seem very consistent Twiz. do you ride a full TT rig or just clip aero bars onto your roadie?

am i a bad husband for secretly being relieved when my wife's college stuffed up her qualifications and banned her from graduating tomorrow night? now i can race instead of watching 100s of strangers receive their graduating certificate. i answered my own question, didn't i?

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:10 pm

Bitza. I run a 38mm carbon front and a deep-v rear for racing. Bottle cages and chain ring have changed since this was taken to TT specific parts.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:29 pm

Race Report
PDCC D grade criterium Motorplex 9 December 2012

I could come up with a bunch of excuses, mainly because I fitted a new chain the day before and did not test ride it under pressure. It start slipping on the cassette early into my ride to the race. So back home, replaced the chain, incorrectly and threw the bike in the back of the car, to arrive and sign in five minutes before my race started.

But the real issue is my lack of cornering speed and poor tactics, in that I am not exploiting my strengths and allowing my weakness to dominate how I ride. It was a small group of 7, from the get go, I assumed my normal position of ticket collector and hoped for opportunity to warm up. The pace was no different from the past couple of races here, I was still having problems with the first corner and getting gapped. It was not helped on the 2nd or 3rd lap, when a rider in front of me clipped the kerb and ended up standing next to his bike on the outside of the track. Unfortunately, that corner lead into a short section with a strong headwind, so I was working hard every lap and fighting to get back on in the back straight which was in a crosswind.

The 180 degree final corner, which was causing me problems the 1st time I raced here, was far less of a problem. On a couple occasions, I did leave a gap to the group here, but that was because they accelerated hard out of the corner and I found it more effective to just to accelerate at a steady rate and get back on.

After 32 minutes, I ended up off the back and was struggling to get back on with group maybe 50m ahead, when I got passed by a small breakaway from a fresh C grade, no problems, I kept left and at my steady pace. The remainder of C grade went past in pursuit, just before the final corner, I lost a little time giving way to them, but it was worth it to find out most of C grade ride the final corner as slow as I do. Out of the corner I saw a couple of D grade riders about 50m ahead shouting and gesticulating wildly at two D grade riders another 50m or up the road. It looks three riders slowed to give way to C grade, while the other two made use of C grade to get a little further up the road. One of the back riders made it to the front two and the race was on.

At this time I was working out how I could make up the distance to the front three or the two stragglers in two laps, when the bell rang after only 34 minutes (instead of 35). So I had to make an effort to catch in one lap, I came up short, I did catch one straggler in the run to the finish, the young guy who had the incident in the first corner and took a lap out, but he got over me in the final sprint, as I was concentrating on the next rider.

So lots of excuses, but really only myself to blame, as a couple of other riders pointed out, I am a fairly strong rider who spends a lot of time riding by myself, chasing back on. I might as well ride on the front and dictate pace through the corners. So that will be my tactics next week, at least for the first few laps.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:39 am

Hey Nickobec, stay within the first half dozen riders at the front and pick you places where you're going to inflict pain for the most impact.

You need to work out how to pace yourself when away on the front for the best results and how your opposing riders are in the stamina stakes for speed and condition
otherwise you're doing it for nothing, other than conditioning. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:14 am

C/D at coburg yesterday. it was raining in the morning, but experience told me this is a good opportunity for a cheeky win as many riders will stay away. sure enough, i checked the radar and the rain band was clearly passing through. so, only 6 of us lined up. one young lady even jumped ship to B grade when she saw the size of our field. as we were combined with D, we were held together for 15 mins and the race shortened to 30 mins + 3 laps. so basically it was a pretty easy race. anyway, with 1 1/2 laps to go i jumped and stayed away. woohoo!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:24 pm

Good stuff Jules!... and better luck with the new tactics next time Nick!.
Raced a CX yesterday, sore muscles today!... had a crap start, then got stuck in traffic, but was pretty happy with how I went. Super course, the climb wasn't too bad and the course was super technical, I was happy to stay upright. I saw a lot of walking wounded after the race, if you came off on the descents it was going to hurt. I rode all the climbs in my practice lap but as they turned to slush during the race I had to run ( cough ) all of them, 4 or so a lap!. For next year I will do some running training on stairs as this is a weak point for me!.
Don't know the results yet... hopefully made the top 20 ( about 60 starters ).
All my lap times were within about 10 seconds of each other except for one that blew out 20 secs over the 6 minutes per lap... must have had a few mistakes in that one!. Still got lapped though :oops: ... I think only 8 - 10 would have finished on the same lap as the winner!... he was flying and riding everything!.
Super turn out for the kids as well... must have been 40 or more in the junior races.

Edit...the jam a couple of hundred meters after the start... no wonder the race was so spread out!
Last edited by toolonglegs on Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:59 am

Race Report
PDCC D grade criterium Motorplex 16 December 2012

Armed with new confidence and new tactics including taking my medication after a race, lined up with 14 other D graders, for what was the biggest of all groups including the combined A & B grades.

Sat on the front for the 1st couple of laps and reeled off a couple of sub 3 minute laps, which I had only managed to do on one of my 3 previous visits to this circuit. Will have to admit the lack of wind, made the circuit much easier to ride today.

My lack of speed through the 1st corner was still an issue, I did enter slower than other riders, but a bigger problem was not driving out of the corner soon enough. So I did cause a little chaos the first couple of laps there, and my technique did not really improve until the last lap.

The u turn was less of a problem for me, though on the 1st lap I really did stuff my line up, so that on the second lap, a couple of riders overtook me out of the corner and the surging started. At this time my confidence in cornering, especially when leading was shot. Still as the race wore on, I found myself stuck behind slower riders at the corner, as they dived for the apex and I took the longest line possible.

Once the surging started, I assumed my normal position at the back of the group, did not have any problem keeping in contact, and even took to the front once or twice. We were beginning to put a few riders in trouble with the constant surge, slow, surge when C grade passed us. The only problem was that C, then promptly slowed and sat about 30m in front of us for a couple of laps, which allowed the stragglers to get back on and everybody to get their breath.

As the laps wore on, there were a few attacks, with a couple of laps to go, Phil was solo off the front with a few seconds gap, I moved into position to attack out of the 1st corner, but decided against it. Saved it for the last lap instead, managed to get a small gap, I could hear shouts of "get on his wheel" but my legs could not sustain it. Got swept to the back of the pack for the final corner and just did not have any drive left in my legs, so I finished 9th.

Overall, happy with my performance, given the time I spent on the front. I could of sat back and had a good chance of finishing about 5th. But I preferred a more active role, even if all I did was spend time of the front instead of attacking. I am more confident for my next criterium, though I am happier my next race is a kermesse.

Video of the last lap, I am one in the light blue kit on the front for most the ffwd bit.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cux6ONlcAr0?rel=0[/youtube]

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:50 am

Hey Nickobec, if it was you I looking at through one of the LH corners, the bottom part of your torso is leaning into the corner but yor shoulders are trying to do the opposite. You need to lean a bit harder and you will scoot around better. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

toppity

Postby toppity » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:33 am

Well done Jules, a win in a break is always good. Will they send you up a grade for that?

TLL, those Cyclocross races sound way too hard. It's gaining popularity here, but I don't think I'll be getting involved. I'm too soft.

I raced at the local Saturday race with Warragul. There was a good turnout. The number of members (racing and non-racing is over 120 now). It was called a criterium, but was more like a kermise. Just over 3.0km but had a couple of steep pinch climbs. Combined C & D did 40mins plus a lap. I rode out to the race and did a couple of warm up laps. I didn't like the course from the get go. I tried to think of a situation/tactics that would allow me to not get dropped but it amounted to nothing. After 20 minutes I got shelled out the back, I got back on, but was shelled the next time the going got tough. I always give everything I have to stay on, so when I pop I really pop. After being dropped I was passed by a couple of riders who had been dropped before me. After them I was caught by another couple and decided to try and stick with them, which I did to the end.

I'm very unfit, but still enjoyed the hard little course.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:28 pm

jules21 wrote:C/D at coburg yesterday. it was raining in the morning, but experience told me this is a good opportunity for a cheeky win as many riders will stay away. sure enough, i checked the radar and the rain band was clearly passing through. so, only 6 of us lined up. one young lady even jumped ship to B grade when she saw the size of our field. as we were combined with D, we were held together for 15 mins and the race shortened to 30 mins + 3 laps. so basically it was a pretty easy race. anyway, with 1 1/2 laps to go i jumped and stayed away. woohoo!
well done, we said the win was just around the corner!
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:55 am

Ended up 17th out of 58... 6th in my age group. Best result so far and only 2 minutes off a podium :lol: .

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:01 am

Love the CX reports, TLL.
toolonglegs wrote:...For next year I will do some running training on stairs as this is a weak point for me!.
From someone who has run stairs a fair bit (a friend tried to get me to do a few stair climb races...), the following applies:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:35 pm

^^^if I had something like that close by I would have been on it a lot. I cant think of any stairs ( outside ) with in 15kms, which means I would have to drive to them to do the training :| .

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:40 am

thanks everyone for your encouragement.
toolonglegs wrote:Ended up 17th out of 58... 6th in my age group. Best result so far and only 2 minutes off a podium :lol: .
great work TLL.

i raced HCC D grade last night. hot off my 'big' win on saturday, i had a plan to shake things up here. 3 laps to go and i thought "here comes the pain boys and girls" as i launched an attack, giving it a fair bit but not going into the red, then i pushed hard up the hill, out of the seat. i expected to see a bunch of riders wallowing in my wake, but sadly they were all glued to my wheel. at least i'd strung them out in single file. damn. more training req'd.

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:59 am

toolonglegs wrote:^^^if I had something like that close by I would have been on it a lot. I cant think of any stairs ( outside ) with in 15kms, which means I would have to drive to them to do the training :| .
I have a set of steps near my work. There's only 60 stairs but do enough repeats and it starts to count!

do you work in an office block? The fire stairs are a pretty good place for a workout. No one can hear you scream :twisted:

EDIT: Forgot to add, if availability of stairs is an issue, try jump lunges (also called dynamic lunges, I think). Do sets of 60-90 seconds and see how long it takes you to fall over...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:55 pm

No, no steps anywhere in my town, it's dead flat... the only buildings over two stories are a few blocks of flats, no entry into those. I would have to drive somewhere to run steps. I do have some banks I can do runs on but you get filthy run in the muck at this time of year so not super motivated. Too late to start for this season anyway... only two more races at the start of Jan and the season is over. I need to start really slow as not have run for years I will easily do an injury if I go silly.

Postieboy

Postby Postieboy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:33 am

http://youtu.be/Hfes4GoKY6I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was feeling great for this one. I had just finished work for the year and was well rested.

Me and another tried a break on the second lap but it was short lived so i sat back in the pack and focused on getting into position for the sprint. I ended up in not the best of spots going into the sprint got slightly boxed in and left my run a little late but was happy enough with the result.

This is the highest I've ever had my HR so I must of been having a go!!

Average speed 38.9
Distance 21 km

skull

Postby skull » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:21 am

toolonglegs wrote:No, no steps anywhere in my town, it's dead flat... the only buildings over two stories are a few blocks of flats, no entry into those. .
When I was still in the Army and first posted to Hobart myself and a couple of other fellow grunts use to do a HCC car park stair run.

There were three council run multi-story car parks in the CBD, so we would jog down from the barracks up a set of stairs down the other side then off to the next car park. It also was a bit of fun when the fat brain dead security guards use to try and have a go at chasing us to tell us off.

We had to stop in the end as our hierarchy decided it wasn't a good image for the unit to have soldiers running up down and around car parks.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:26 pm

Lol ... I have done a few sessions in car park buildings... But on the mountain bike. Sprint up ... Drifts down :-) .
Sadly the closest car park building is 35 km's away now.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:09 pm

Postieboy wrote:This is the highest I've ever had my HR so I must of been having a go!!
that's a decent kick you've got there.. you'd have taken that if you were further forward.

raced St Kilda "sprint championships" this morning in D. stupid gears decided mid-race would be a good time to slip (!?) and alternate between two cogs. had to pull in, twisted the barrel a bit, then asked if i could jump back in - "you chase". so i did, but could only average a disappointing 38-39 km/h for 3 laps before being swallowed by the bunch doing 43, so was pulled from the race.

it seems the Alfred trauma ward weren't pleased with the event. there were a lot of ambulances in action :mrgreen:

Postieboy

Postby Postieboy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:39 pm

jules21 wrote:
Postieboy wrote:This is the highest I've ever had my HR so I must of been having a go!!
that's a decent kick you've got there.. you'd have taken that if you were further forward.

raced St Kilda "sprint championships" this morning in D. stupid gears decided mid-race would be a good time to slip (!?) and alternate between two cogs. had to pull in, twisted the barrel a bit, then asked if i could jump back in - "you chase". so i did, but could only average a disappointing 38-39 km/h for 3 laps before being swallowed by the bunch doing 43, so was pulled from the race.

it seems the Alfred trauma ward weren't pleased with the event. there were a lot of ambulances in action :mrgreen:
Yep it's all about position, position, position in the closing stages and I need plenty more practice.

Yikes sounds like there must have been plenty of carnage for that sort of response!?!?!

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:58 pm

Postieboy wrote: Yep it's all about position, position, position in the closing stages and I need plenty more practice.
you and me both. i've come to believe you've just got to fight (safely) to be up there!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:20 am

jules21 wrote: i've come to believe you've just got to fight (safely) to be up there!
Yep, with shoulders arms and even pumps! :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:44 am

Had no idea I would be racing today especially after a pretty good training week, but it being a lovely winter's day, about 12°C and blue sky it was hard not to get the itch... only problem was the closest cyclocross I could find was 100kms away :oops: .
So only one thing to do... pack the family up and make a day of it :) .
Tough course, big climb every lap... but it was mainly on switch backs apart from one long grass climb, also very muddy, but in the end it wasn't too bad. Very fast flat sections through the forest, steep descents and long drags over sports fields before 100 meters on a running track and up a steep pinch to the finish.
Not many on the start line, 25 maybe, lots of skinsuits, guy next to me had Olympic rings on his legs :shock: .Got a good start but backed off a touch knowing I was going to suffer on the climb... ended up in a nice rolling group of 5 or 6 and was determined to stay with them. We all had our strong points, mine was the false flat after the main climb and the descents :P . 5th lap 3 of us got away, then on the fastest part of the descent I gaped one of the guys... safely on the pass I hope, I think so but he was a long way back next time I saw him. So then it was just two of us... but this guy was starting to fade ( like me! )... but I think I could get him.
But then with 2 laps to go Olympic ring guy comes racing past, no one else chasing in sight... so suddenly I am on my last lap, not complaining because I was suffering, but just couldn't quite get the guy in front before the finish.
Great race and day, fun having the kids running along side cheering for Daddy :D , wife's photo skills are shocking :lol: ... felt really strong considering how much climbing there was, bike ran like a dream but will need new cables and a strip down now.
No idea of the result... too many young guys up front, hopefully will find out later in the week as we headed off to McDo's straight after the race :mrgreen: .

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:44 am

So long as the kids are cheering for you TLL and no saying why is Dad so slow and getting past all the time Mum. :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km