Adding alloy braking surface to carbon rims

wardie

Adding alloy braking surface to carbon rims

Postby wardie » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:50 am

Is it possible for an alloy braking surface to be added to a carbon rim? Done by a wheel builder not by me in the back shed.
Giant XTC 2

familyguy

Re: Adding alloy braking surface to carbon rims

Postby familyguy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:21 am

Er, no, very unlikely. The alloy 'surface' on carbon rims is not just a tacked on ring, its integral with the carbon part. Highly unlikely that you can retrofit that without massive amounts of failure.

Jim

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:34 pm

Carbon/Alloy wheels are not constructed by bonding an alloy braking surface onto the rim. There is an entire alloy rim bonded to a carbon fairing for want of a better description.

Thats why they end up so heavy compared to a full carbon wheelset.

I'm interested to know why you ask the question?
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

wardie

Postby wardie » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:18 pm

jacks1071 wrote:Carbon/Alloy wheels are not constructed by bonding an alloy braking surface onto the rim. There is an entire alloy rim bonded to a carbon fairing for want of a better description.

Thanks heaps.

I have a pair of alloy training wheels and a pair of carbon wheels and basically everytime I've tried to fit the carbon pads (yelllow Swisstop) into the SRAM brake shoes they just seem a few mm too long. Therefore I give up which means I have owned these carbon Reynolds for over 3 months and never used them. I might just take them to my LBS and see what they can do.

So my question was to see if I can overcome my ineptitude.
Giant XTC 2

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:30 pm

yes, it can be done. but the more important question is: what will happen next? :)

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:01 pm

wardie wrote:
jacks1071 wrote:Carbon/Alloy wheels are not constructed by bonding an alloy braking surface onto the rim. There is an entire alloy rim bonded to a carbon fairing for want of a better description.

Thanks heaps.

I have a pair of alloy training wheels and a pair of carbon wheels and basically everytime I've tried to fit the carbon pads (yelllow Swisstop) into the SRAM brake shoes they just seem a few mm too long. Therefore I give up which means I have owned these carbon Reynolds for over 3 months and never used them. I might just take them to my LBS and see what they can do.

Maybe get the shop mechanic to show you how to properly install them. Last thing I want is for your brakes to spit a pad out half way down a decent but they are fairly fool proof.

If you use a brake pad that is compatible with carbon and alloy rims you can leave them in there if you want, just inspect the pad surface for alloy fragments when you swap from alloy to carbon wheels and if any, pick them out.

Personally - I swap the pads so I have a carbon only set and an alloy only as I don't want to risk any additional wear on my carbon rims from alloy fragments that maybe in the pads. Its a 2 minute job to swap all 4 pads.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:15 am

Definitely time for a second bike just for the CF wheels. :wink:

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:46 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:Definitely time for a second bike just for the CF wheels. :wink:
Thats what I did eventually, if you can afford it - why not?

brit_in_oz

Postby brit_in_oz » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:51 pm

wardie wrote: Thanks heaps.

Not sure what your doing but Swisstop yellow fit SRAM shoes perfectly. in fact if you buy Red or Force you get Swisstop green or black with them. I run yellow in mine no problem, fit like a glove. Are you sure your pushing them under the edge of the rim of the shoe at the end, that would cause them to stick out a little.
Don't mistake lack of talent for genius

wardie

Postby wardie » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:10 pm

It seems I have 2 different kinds of pads: SRAM by Swisstop and Vision by Swisstop (RacePro).

The SRAM ones fit perfectly by the Vision ones do not.

Is this as expected?

Thanks
Giant XTC 2

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:07 pm

In two different types of pads, do you mean one for alloy, the other for carbon (ie cork brake pads)?

This different in size is a major PITA. The normal pads I have for alloy are thicker than the ones for carbon - so it generally means having to tweak the brakes (adjusting the cables) as the adjustment barrel didn't provide enough adjustment.

Unless in your case, you have trouble fitting the pads into the brake shoes? If that's the case - remember they are often quite difficult to fit properly and you might need to use a wooden or rubber mallet to fit them. After that's done, it should be no troubles.

I kind of agree with the sentiment of others who've replied earlier - this is when you think about getting another bike, a fast bike with the carbon wheels and a training bike. :lol: The LBS will love you for that too.

wardie

Postby wardie » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:46 pm

g-boaf wrote:In two different types of pads, do you mean one for alloy, the other for carbon (ie cork brake pads)?

This different in size is a major PITA. The normal pads I have for alloy are thicker than the ones for carbon - so it generally means having to tweak the brakes (adjusting the cables) as the adjustment barrel didn't provide enough adjustment.

Unless in your case, you have trouble fitting the pads into the brake shoes? If that's the case - remember they are often quite difficult to fit properly and you might need to use a wooden or rubber mallet to fit them. After that's done, it should be no troubles.

I kind of agree with the sentiment of others who've replied earlier - this is when you think about getting another bike, a fast bike with the carbon wheels and a training bike. :lol: The LBS will love you for that too.
No, both Yellow Swisstop but one set has a SRAM logo on it (which fit perfectly into the brake shoes) and the other are Vision (which don't seem to fit).

I noticed that the SRAM ones have a groove which I guess the little screw fits into but the others don't.
Giant XTC 2

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:02 pm

There are at least two designs of pad holder that are commonly available.
They are usually referred to 'Shimano compatible' or 'Campagnolo compatible'. It sounds to me as if you have one set of pads for each.

Shimano

Campagnolo

I never understood what role the screw plays in the Shimano shoes, unless you are in the habit of putting the brakes on to stop you rolling backwards. In fact that can be an easy way to remove the shoes for changeover.

As for the original idea of adding an aluminium track to a carbon rim you would get the worst of both worlds. All the heat dissapating properties of carbon with the high temperature capabilities of the pads designed for aluminium. It would be a disaster in high stress braking such as on a big descent.

Cheers,

Cameron

wardie

Postby wardie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:38 am

ironhanglider wrote:There are at least two designs of pad holder that are commonly available.
They are usually referred to 'Shimano compatible' or 'Campagnolo compatible'. It sounds to me as if you have one set of pads for each.

Shimano

Campagnolo

I never understood what role the screw plays in the Shimano shoes, unless you are in the habit of putting the brakes on to stop you rolling backwards. In fact that can be an easy way to remove the shoes for changeover.

As for the original idea of adding an aluminium track to a carbon rim you would get the worst of both worlds. All the heat dissapating properties of carbon with the high temperature capabilities of the pads designed for aluminium. It would be a disaster in high stress braking such as on a big descent.

Cheers,

Cameron
Hi Cameron

That looks like about right. Thanks for that.
Giant XTC 2