Mt Coot-tha training

RobM

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby RobM » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:40 am

jasonc wrote:
punk_rob wrote:Did a PB of 7 climbs up Cootha today. Three full loops around the back and four climbs from the T-intersection to Lookout.
Then rode home. About 100km with about 2000m climbing. Pretty pooped now 8)
nice work
Definitely do a recover ride today - go around the block a few times. otherwise you won't be able to walk for a week let alone ride
Yeah will do. Never used to 'recovery ride' but know i feel alot better when i do. It will be a spin on the rollers tonight tho as i wont get home until late.
InTheWoods wrote:Has anyone seen the notice at the top of Mt Cootha? There's a guy doing a cancer fundraising ride in a couple of weeks, which involves sponsoring him for each full lap of cootha he can do inside 24 hours. Gotta give him some credit, that is going to be one hellish 24 hours... Information on how to sponsor him is on the notice. How many laps do you reckon you could manage in 24 hours?
Well, that guy is in for some pain. Hope he is taking the week after off from work :shock:

My guess is...(assuming he is a fit guy who does Cootha regularly)...
- Guess-timate 1 back loop of Cootha anywhere from 20mins to 45mins depending on if he stops for a breather (i would!). I dont think he would go back down to the bottom of the botanic gardens ramp each time. Just keep doing the loop.
- Factor in some time to eat/sleep and ponder how the pros do it
- Within 24 hours, im wager that he will do 22 full loops

I might try and see if i can keep him company on a few loops. It an impressive goal thats for sure.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:57 am

punk_rob wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:Has anyone seen the notice at the top of Mt Cootha? There's a guy doing a cancer fundraising ride in a couple of weeks, which involves sponsoring him for each full lap of cootha he can do inside 24 hours. Gotta give him some credit, that is going to be one hellish 24 hours... Information on how to sponsor him is on the notice. How many laps do you reckon you could manage in 24 hours?
Well, that guy is in for some pain. Hope he is taking the week after off from work :shock:

My guess is...(assuming he is a fit guy who does Cootha regularly)...
- Guess-timate 1 back loop of Cootha anywhere from 20mins to 45mins depending on if he stops for a breather (i would!). I dont think he would go back down to the bottom of the botanic gardens ramp each time. Just keep doing the loop.
- Factor in some time to eat/sleep and ponder how the pros do it
- Within 24 hours, im wager that he will do 22 full loops

I might try and see if i can keep him company on a few loops. It an impressive goal thats for sure.
posted about 10 pages back (not my ride - my pb is 9 up and down the back, not loops):
20 loops in 8 hours
impressively only stopped for 30 mins

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:57 am

Holy Shish-kebabs. That's insane. My knees hurt looking at that chart.
If its him doing the challenge then I'm upping my estimate to 40 Loops in 24hrs haha.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:59 pm

jasonc wrote: 20 loops in 8 hours
Thanks for that, i was just looking for it :) . Incredible effort that one, that's the way to get better at climbing coot-tha all right!
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:01 am

ldrcycles wrote:
jasonc wrote: 20 loops in 8 hours
Thanks for that, i was just looking for it :) . Incredible effort that one, that's the way to get better at climbing coot-tha all right!
and his PB up coot-tha is a 7:46. he's no slouch

now, what do we know about the guy doing all the laps for charity?

dillonp

Postby dillonp » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:22 pm

done and dusted, even a great turnout of 20+ riders still at midnight Sat night.
We did 3.

all info was here :
http://www.facebook.com/groups/22795046 ... an?fref=ts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
30 laps.
7 steel bikes and counting

Stackers72

Postby Stackers72 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:53 pm

Hello everyone,

I am brand new to this forum. This thread came up in my search about riding Cootha. It seems like a there is a wealth of knowledge here about this scary hill.

I have been riding since June 2010, more of a weekend warrior than anything else. We have a group of friends, we all got interested, got bikes and love to ride. We all did the Ride to Conquer Cancer the last two years.

I have an issue with hills. A couple of times my legs have been cooked and I've nearly/ or have fallen. This has prevented me from scaling the likes of Daisy hill road after a big ride (I've done it after 20kms). I find anxiety to be my big issue. I do bike class and usually at least ride 50ks on a weekend in one ride. I'm not scared of hills, rather 'steep hills'. The anxiety kicks in, the heart races and then I find the oxygen is stolen from my leg muscles.

It's time to harden up and I want a challenge, I want to do Cootha. I would love it if anyone could point me in the direction of handy hints and tips for the complete yellow backed chicken. I am planning a mission to go out and drive it again, just the drive scares me :)

I look forward to any advice you have to offer. This forum looks great. Thanks again.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:53 pm

Use a different bike to the one in your avatar :)

When you say your legs are cooked, what do you mean? You overheat? Or they feel like they are burning and you can't use them any more?

You might want to try lower gearing if the main problem is steep hills, how many teeth are on your front and rear cogs? I know I could get up alpe'd'huez tomorrow - if I had low enough gears.

If you have actually fallen off, either you are pushing too hard and/or you should talk to your doctor about it. Having said that I've had things fade out a bit on me on the odd occasion when I get to the top. The only time I've nearly fallen off a bike in a non-crashing way was I hadn't eaten enough and had bonked/hit the wall, and I could hardly stand up - and I wasn't breathing hard or anything at the time - had rolled down a hill and was trying to wait at some lights.

If the problem is after a longer ride, what are you doing for hydration and energy on the ride? I turn into a puddle of uselessness if I don't get extra kj on a ride once I hit a certain distance/time. An hour and a half of hard riding is fine but some point after that I hit the wall unless I've been eating.

Stackers72 wrote:Hello everyone,

I am brand new to this forum. This thread came up in my search about riding Cootha. It seems like a there is a wealth of knowledge here about this scary hill.

I have been riding since June 2010, more of a weekend warrior than anything else. We have a group of friends, we all got interested, got bikes and love to ride. We all did the Ride to Conquer Cancer the last two years.

I have an issue with hills. A couple of times my legs have been cooked and I've nearly/ or have fallen. This has prevented me from scaling the likes of Daisy hill road after a big ride (I've done it after 20kms). I find anxiety to be my big issue. I do bike class and usually at least ride 50ks on a weekend in one ride. I'm not scared of hills, rather 'steep hills'. The anxiety kicks in, the heart races and then I find the oxygen is stolen from my leg muscles.

It's time to harden up and I want a challenge, I want to do Cootha. I would love it if anyone could point me in the direction of handy hints and tips for the complete yellow backed chicken. I am planning a mission to go out and drive it again, just the drive scares me :)

I look forward to any advice you have to offer. This forum looks great. Thanks again.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:06 pm

Stackers - the first thing to remember is it's not a race (he he he). Put it in your granny gear and just go up. A good idea is to rather than look a long way up, just look up to 10m in front of you. That way you know what's coming, but you don't see how much climbing there is.

Purt

Postby Purt » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:04 pm

jasonc wrote: A good idea is to rather than look a long way up, just look up to 10m in front of you. That way you know what's coming, but you don't see how much climbing there is.
Another trick I use to use when running was to count the paces on a long steep hill. It gets your mind off what you're doing and before you know it you're at the top. Maybe count your cadence?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:34 pm

Purt wrote:Maybe count your cadence?
My brain just exploded.
~11 minutes times 70rpm = 770. I'd lose count after about 10. Once my HR goes over 150 I can't count.

WMC1

Postby WMC1 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:45 pm

I just try and think about how well i am doing just to get up the climb. it can help if you catch up to other riders and have a chat, that is if you can still talk.

Cheers.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:51 pm

4 months until Coot-Tha Challenge 2013....time to up the training for it! :shock:
Lisa

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:02 pm

marinmomma wrote:4 months until Coot-Tha Challenge 2013....time to up the training for it! :shock:
am still waiting for permission from the physio

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:21 pm

jasonc wrote:
marinmomma wrote:4 months until Coot-Tha Challenge 2013....time to up the training for it! :shock:
am still waiting for permission from the physio
Good luck with your recovery, that would be very fustrating!
Lisa

Purt

Postby Purt » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:06 pm

jasonc wrote:My brain just exploded.
~11 minutes times 70rpm = 770. I'd lose count after about 10. Once my HR goes over 150 I can't count.
Didn't really think it through for cycling :oops:

We need some new motivation paint up there, I'm sick of thinking about vegans for the whole climb, makes me want steak.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:36 am

Purt wrote:We need some new motivation paint up there, I'm sick of thinking about vegans for the whole climb, makes me want steak.
someone needs to paint: "Each time you ride up here you can have a mars bar"

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:00 am

Yeah, and it doesn't matter which way you go around, it's all about vegans dammit... :-) And yeah; "I got fat covered"...

Need some humorous ones...

Like "only 2,500,000 millimetres to go..."

My kids like to use that on me with my 100km rides... :-)
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

CaptainSlow

Postby CaptainSlow » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:11 am

Stackers - I'm not really qualified to give any tips, but I will..

I found the mental side of Coot-tha hard the first few times - not knowing whats around the next corner, and not being able to judge my efforts accordingly. It got a bit easier after riding a few times as I could pick where I was on the hill. Driving up it as you've suggested may help with this.

WMC1

Postby WMC1 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:28 am

If i feel like giving up on the climb, i just keep reminding myself of the fun i will have going down the other side. :D

There are some new motivational words painted on the climb from the guy that was raising money for his son doing as many loops as he could in 24 hours. What a champ.
Work is something I do in between cycling.

Bikes: 1 x Steel 26” Cruiser, 2 x Alloy Roadies, 1 x Full Carbon Roadie.
It is unfair if only one bike gets all the attention.

Stackers72

Postby Stackers72 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:20 pm

Thank you so much for all of your advice :) I am working on getting up the guts to do it.

When I say my legs are cooked, it's like they are just overused, like when I'm at the gym and I can't feel my muscles to lift the weight anymore. I think perhaps I will ensure that I've carbed enough as that worked for me when I did the R2CC. I've nearly fallen off as the legs go and then I just fall, thankfully that one time, my foot unclipped, I have no idea how and I was spared faceplanting on the bitumen.

I probably need to HTFU, so I will work on that. I will get the Hubby to come with me for moral support he will be able to ride really slow beside me and cheer me on :)

Thanks again, I'm overwhelmed at the responses for a newbie.

Stackers.

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:11 pm

I really need to get to Cootha more often & stop riding Mt Gravatt.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:49 pm

Dimma wrote:I really need to get to Cootha more often & stop riding Mt Gravatt.
you're fast enough already up there. stay away :D

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:59 pm

jasonc wrote:
Haha!
Jason, are you cleared for Coot-Tha's again?

We've been going every week on Thursdays for the past 4-5 weeks now...I'm starting to notice improvements again, but still a little short of improving my PB on the back.
I'm beginning to think that my PB was done on one of the days when Strava goes awol :wink:

If this humidity sticks around Thursday will be ugly on the Mt
Lisa

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:22 pm

marinmomma wrote:
jasonc wrote:
Haha!
Jason, are you cleared for Coot-Tha's again?
physio suggested I try the front first and see how I feel the next day. was going to wait til maybe 2nd week of jan before i try that. i did suggest to my physio that I wanted to train for the 3 peaks in march - he said no. :mrgreen: