tiagra vs veloce

Phil

Re: tiagra vs veloce

Postby Phil » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:23 am

Stuey wrote:That's interesting, and strange. It'd be so easy for Shimano to copy the pivot position, given the performance advantage. I guess they still sell enough!
Have the 9 speed Tiagra on my 2011 Oppy A4 which I bought new specifically to go on the TACX Bushido Ergotrainer (so it have never been ridden on the road and gotten grimy), and whilst the levers are not as comfortable as my Campys the changes are certainly decent. I think if you had the Tiagra you would certainly not be disappointed - my only issue is dropping down a gear instead of up the first time I change gears (and sometimes the next couple as well if I ain't had enough coffee).

Can't comment on the Tiagra brake performance as have not used them in anger.

ohexploitable

Postby ohexploitable » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:37 am

ok cool
I DIDN'T EAT FOR THREE DAYS SO I COULD BE LOVELY

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:16 pm

Just out of interest, my newest ride has 5510 105 shifting and even though it's second hand and a few years old it is HEAPS better than Tiagra. MUCH lighter shift but also a lot more positive, it feels great.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

LM324

Postby LM324 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:33 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Just out of interest, my newest ride has 5510 105 shifting and even though it's second hand and a few years old it is HEAPS better than Tiagra. MUCH lighter shift but also a lot more positive, it feels great.
Hi lachy is this compared to new 4600 tiagra or an older tiagra?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:55 pm

That's compared to my 2005 group and my brother's 2010 group. From what i've read of the 'trickle down' thing Shimano do i would have thought 2010 tiagra would be at least equivalent to, if not better than, 2003 or thereabouts 105.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

drubie

Postby drubie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:02 pm

ldrcycles wrote:That's compared to my 2005 group and my brother's 2010 group. From what i've read of the 'trickle down' thing Shimano do i would have thought 2010 tiagra would be at least equivalent to, if not better than, 2003 or thereabouts 105.
It depends on what exactly "trickled down" - the designs do but the materials don't necessarily follow, and the 105 design wrapped in Tiagra materials may just not work as well (think flexi plastics rather than aluminium). Unfortunately, Campagnolo realised some years ago that having exactly the same shifting performance in Veloce as Record, so they've deliberately crippled the lower groups ability to multi shift (along with cheaper materials, naturally).
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:56 pm

Wife, has the new complete 10 speed Tiagra with compact double, swapped from Tektra, Sugino triple and Sora mix!!!!!!

Massive improvement over before, got over the thumb shift issue in about 10 minutes.
This from a women who wont consider the Apple TV as it has another remote to learn. :roll:
No experience in Veloce, but I think you will pull more chicks with Veloce pronounced correctly! :lol:

larfinboy

Postby larfinboy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:01 pm

Something worth pointing out is the current Veloce groupset uses a Power Torque splined spindle.
So if you are doing your own maintenance you need specific tools for removing the NDS crankarm.
And a 14mm hex wrench/drive to install.

In saying that I'm riding bikes with Centaur, Veloce and 105. Campy is my preference as these were the first brifters I bought.
The Veloce shifting is good but not quite as snappy as my older Centaur.