New Goldcross Bicycles in Epping (Melb).

Huski67

New Goldcross Bicycles in Epping (Melb).

Postby Huski67 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:38 pm

I posted this on another thread... Just for people to read...
---------------

Haven't managed to pop into Reid Bicycles yet, however I did go into the new Amart sports (Epping) store that is incorporating Goldcross cycles. Well talk about a load of rubbish.. The company that owns Goldcross and Amart sports and a few other chain stores has decided to merge/close 4 Goldcross stores and turn them into wanna be Rebel sport stores.. Anyway I went in today and was met by the token young girl in spandex tights. a pre requisite for girls working in such stores. She asked me if she could help me.. I said yes I was looking at their bikes. You guessed it I cant help you im in the womens sports clothing area... Now it begs the question, being a male why did she ask me in the first place?.

The store looks like a smaller version of Rebel sports. As for bikes, it would be lucky if there are 50 there. Mostly kids bikes. The few road bikes they had were on one rack, maybe 6-8 of them. The cheapest was a Flight for $799..

A young sales rep there said that they no longer do any mechanical repairs on site. Bikes are taken by Van away to be repaired. Turn around is between 3-5 working days. Yeah right.

I doubt I will be going back, unless I need something like a Pump or lock.. Not after advice from a non specific Bike shop, just a Rebel sport wanna be..
Just your average Cycling Hack rider.. Trying to Keep fit. Owner of a 1990's Konya MTB..

rkelsen

Re: New Goldcross Bicycles in Epping (Melb).

Postby rkelsen » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:38 pm

No surprises. The Commodore is king in Epping. Betcha business is booming at Autobarn down the road...

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:48 pm

Huski67 wrote:s and turn them into wanna be Rebel sport stores..
<snip> just a Rebel sport wanna be..
They (we :wink: ) own rebel as well. Super Retail Group aquired the Rebel group (which was rebel + amart all sport) from private equity firm archer capital a while ago.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Huski67

Postby Huski67 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:10 pm

rkelsen wrote:No surprises. The Commodore is king in Epping. Betcha business is booming at Autobarn down the road...
Hahaha, I owned a Commodore once.. But now its a Falcon.. :P
im_no_pro wrote:They (we ) own rebel as well. Super Retail Group aquired the Rebel group (which was rebel + amart all sport) from private equity firm archer capital a while ago.
Ok no wonder it looked like a small version of Rebel sports.. Just a pity u cannot get your bikes serviced or looked at onsite anymore.. Handy for me as I am like 5 mins from store.. Oh well...
Just your average Cycling Hack rider.. Trying to Keep fit. Owner of a 1990's Konya MTB..

dougal_s

Postby dougal_s » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:39 pm

Not surprising it went the way it did. For such a big store it was empty a lot of the time. Empty of customers that is. I tried buying various things there but so often it was "Oh sorry, we don't have that but we can get it in". Looks like the bike shop sorta over the road from that closed down as well. BikeHub I think.

A shame though.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:09 pm

Yeah unfortunately my LBS the Goldcross store at Fountain Gate has also had a make over. :(

They have less than 10% of the bikes they used to have, and the rest of the store is full of over priced junk.

Went there to get another small Fuji saddle bag as the current one has a broken zip, it was a great compact design but off course they don’t stock them anymore.

What was there is poor quality over priced rubbish suited to fitting to a Kmart BSO.

I think Goldcross have just shot themselves in the foot big time business wise.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:52 am

The exact same thing happened to the Goldcross in Victoria Gardens - it is now an Amart Sports with virtually no bikes. Back before the change I also thought the Goldcross shop looked empty of customers most of the time (but full of lots of lovely bikes!).

I still think it looks empty of customers now even as a sports clothing store (and considering I went in there during their weekend 25% off everything sale, I thought it should have been busier). I don't know how they're staying in business.

The staff told me (prior to the revamp) that there would still be a few Goldcross only (non-Amart) stores around, but is that really the case?

clackers

Postby clackers » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:52 pm

Summernight wrote:
The staff told me (prior to the revamp) that there would still be a few Goldcross only (non-Amart) stores around, but is that really the case?
The one at Camberwell, for whatever reason ...

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:28 am

The one at burleigh heads is still a stand alone goldcross, last year they moved from a big store to one a few doors down that would be about a 3rd the size. around the same time that the BCF moved from a massive store to the shop goldcross emptied, so now they hardly have anything too.

just looked at the super retail group webpage, They really like doubling up on brands not only do they own Amart and Rebel, but they also own BCF, FCO and Rays outdoors.
I understand that the whole point of business is to be the biggest, but the problem here is that all these smaller stores that carry different things at different prices end up carrying the same stuff at the same price. it is really annoying.

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:38 am

I never liked Goldcross much. Prices were good but there was a distinct lack of product knowledge among the teenage staff.

Good news for the traditional bike shops however that provide service.

Mike
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

macca33

Postby macca33 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:49 pm

Just performing a thread-revival, as I rode with a friend today who just went through the process of having his road bike serviced at the Goldcross Altona site. Before it went in, there was a creak in the crank / bottom bracket and after it came back - on its first ride today - the creak persists - VERY noticeable / loud. I took a very quick look and it didn't appear to have any 'fresh' grease / loctite around the BB, so it has me wondering.....

I did suggest to him that he would be best placed by dropping it off at one of the myriad of local LBS for it to be looked after / remedied - he only had it serviced with them, as he purchased the bike there before the 'change' of company direction.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL