Repco Appreciation Society

dillonp

Re: Repco Appreciation Society

Postby dillonp » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:38 pm

Repco Monaco pulumbers pipe ressurected a 2nd time. used to have 27" wheels when i got it years ago.
Got bits over time which found their way onto this.
Basically the only crap thing now is the frame, but it has character.
Gearing of 39-16 is a bit irritating on the flat but this was intended as a 'ride to the shops bike' not my 25km commute.

A bitsa, a few Shimano 600 parts and matching wheels now, front found by the good man Munga ! :wink:

7 steel bikes and counting

munga

Postby munga » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:54 pm

looks pretty swish, Dillon. wheels match the frame pretty well.
we should do a singlespeed raturday one weekend!

dillonp

Postby dillonp » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:51 pm

Cheers mate I might one day but Saturdays are super busy if not racing as well.
7 steel bikes and counting

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:02 pm

Repco-heads! Get on it!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1977-Repco-M ... 500wt_1025" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jim

brit_in_oz

Postby brit_in_oz » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:15 pm

Couple of quick question in regard my 1991 repco elite RX

My FD needs replacing but the mount is really wierd. instead of a regular braze on with a screw thread into the frame, it has a purpose built mount tab that appears to only allow specific shaped FD to fit as it has a curved mounting lug that sticks out from the frame, and i have not seen many FD that have the corresponding shape to fit? I have a current 10 speed 105 FD spare (band on) that I would love to use, but how to get around the mounting problem, without cutting it off ? Would a regular braze on work if tweaked? Just to be clear here is a pic i found of another bike with a similar mounting point

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39339311@N ... ool-derosa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My RD is the major pain as its lost a lot of tension now getting 20 + years old. I have upgraded the shifters to 8 speed Sora, I dont really need 8 speed cassette, was just the only shifters i could get hold of that were anywhere close. They shift well, but will any modern 7 speed RD work (i.e. if i find a MTB 7 speed would that work?)
Don't mistake lack of talent for genius

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:54 am

It looks like a pretty standard derailleur hanger to me except it has a bit less up/down adjustment to normal, I think an Suntour FD or earlier (pre 2006-7) Shimano FD braze on's would go straight on, not sure about Campy as I've had as little to do with it as possible (personal preference).

It's pretty much identical to the one on my Benny, I have a late 90's Giant CFR & a mid 00's Giant the same.

Borrow a braze on derailleur from someone (friend or LBS) try it on, I think you'll find no issues, if you do, just unpick it from the frame & run a band on FD or mount.

sunho

Postby sunho » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:24 am

So Stuey put up his flurotastic superlite,
i got one of my own, gave it a good fix up and simple clean:

Dont mind the bartape, 15 dollar lizardskin, do I leave it? of course not! 60 dollar tape!

rusco

Postby rusco » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:08 pm

I picked up a mint Elite RX the other day. The detailer etc will be going to the bay. Will post some pics on here if you are interested.
brit_in_oz wrote:Couple of quick question in regard my 1991 repco elite RX

My FD needs replacing but the mount is really wierd. instead of a regular braze on with a screw thread into the frame, it has a purpose built mount tab that appears to only allow specific shaped FD to fit as it has a curved mounting lug that sticks out from the frame, and i have not seen many FD that have the corresponding shape to fit? I have a current 10 speed 105 FD spare (band on) that I would love to use, but how to get around the mounting problem, without cutting it off ? Would a regular braze on work if tweaked? Just to be clear here is a pic i found of another bike with a similar mounting point

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39339311@N ... ool-derosa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My RD is the major pain as its lost a lot of tension now getting 20 + years old. I have upgraded the shifters to 8 speed Sora, I dont really need 8 speed cassette, was just the only shifters i could get hold of that were anywhere close. They shift well, but will any modern 7 speed RD work (i.e. if i find a MTB 7 speed would that work?)

cray-

Postby cray- » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:13 am

sunho wrote:So Stuey put up his flurotastic superlite, i got one of my own, gave it a good fix up and simple clean:

Dont mind the bartape, 15 dollar lizardskin, do I leave it? of course not! 60 dollar tape!
I like the pink tape, just need matching hoods and seat. :D

DavidI

Postby DavidI » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:34 am

Finally had a chance to scan my copy of the 1986-87 Repco Catalogue. It's 40 pages so I won't post each image, just go to the linky:
http://s648.beta.photobucket.com/user/D ... 0995913182

munga

Postby munga » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:55 am

awesome work, David.

does anyone have the 87-88 cattledog?

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:06 am

munga wrote:awesome work, David.
+1 Agreed

Totally awesome work
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

funnybike

Postby funnybike » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:21 am

Yes, excellent work David.

I was surprised that the Vertex wasn't in there. The familiar blue/yellow 531 Vertex (and similar track bike and funny bike) were in 1988, so I just assumed that the earlier triple triangle road Vertex was from 86 or 87. Clearly, I just assumed incorrectly. Anyone care to enlighten me?

DavidI

Postby DavidI » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:36 am

I have the '87-88 catalogue sitting right here in front of me, the blue and yellow Vertex is on page 5 :D
I also have the '88-'89 catalogue, with the blue and yellow Vertex and the triple triangle Vertex Vicenza on facing pages :D
And the next one with the Vertex Aluminium.
Will scan them when I have the chance, Repco had a huge range so their catalogues are 40 pages each!
I've also got 2 Ricardo catalogues, one each of Malvern Star, Apollo, Shogun, Gitane, Panasonic (AFAIK never imported here) and even a Specialized one from their first foray into the Australian market. Patience please! :D

funnybike

Postby funnybike » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:51 am

Nice collection mate. Can't wait to see them all. What year is the gitane cattle dog?

munga

Postby munga » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:52 am

ooh, it's actually the 88-89 cattledog i'm interested in!!

funnybike

Postby funnybike » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:55 am

Munga, you're a Repco !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!. You really need to get out and see some other bikes from time to time. :wink:

munga

Postby munga » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:25 am

i've seen others!

DavidI

Postby DavidI » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:41 pm

funnybike wrote:Nice collection mate. Can't wait to see them all. What year is the gitane cattle dog?
Gitane cattledog doesn't have a model year on it, but is copyright 1985. I picked it up in 1987 and the models were still current then.
Forgot to mention the '88-89 Peugeot one I've already scanned and put in the Peugeot Appreciation thread.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:03 am

What year is the Apollo one? I would love to see a 1985. Particularly some info on the V road and Himalaya MTB.

DavidI

Postby DavidI » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:34 am

singlespeedscott wrote:What year is the Apollo one? I would love to see a 1985. Particularly some info on the V road and Himalaya MTB.
Apollo catalogue doesn't have a date or model year printed on it anywhere, but it would be from some time between 1988 and 1992. I actually have a duplicate of this, one has some prices written in on one or two bikes; I've decided to scan that one as I'm sure there'd be some interest in what prices might have been like when these bikes were new.

DavidI

Postby DavidI » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:37 pm

The 1987-88 Repco Catalogue..... first appearance of the Vertex :)
http://s648.beta.photobucket.com/user/D ... 9044561305

DavidI

Postby DavidI » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:28 pm

The 1988-89 Repco catalogue:
http://s648.beta.photobucket.com/user/D ... co%2088-89 :)
Will be a few weeks before I get a chance to do any more, only got one more Repco one to go.

repcollector

Postby repcollector » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:42 pm

Hi everyone,

long time viewer, longer time collector, first time poster!

Just wanted to say g'day and that I've found the forums to be interesting and helpful, with a lot of friendly and knowledgeable folk on board as well. :D

It was actually David's brochure scans that pushed me over the edge to pony up and say g'day :lol: (thanks for the uploads David - top job!) Brings back some serious teenage memories there as I used to collect those brochures too, drooling at the upper-end models whilst cutting loose on the traveller :roll:

I could probably banter on for ages, but I'll go the condensed version: Grew up on bikes in the 70's tinkering with them as a kid, wanted a Hotfoot but couldn't afford one, so I cloned one from a secondhand malvern star (the giveaway was the missing cross gusset frame) . Stickers, pads, seat etc were all over the counter stuff back then.

In 1984 I saved up the $$$ (first job) and I remember cutting myself short for the week so I could go into Kmart before the next payday and splash out on my first roadie...the Traveller. Went over at lunchtime and rode it back to work (unadjusted - but not boxed like today) mmmmm... red paint, blue stickers and oh-so-much chrome! I was stoked!
Of course, having no idea about quality, maneuverability and feel vs 'mmmmm chrome' I wanted my traveller to look more like those expensive ones in the brochures.... so I cloned it too :lol: :lol: :oops: (actually I thought "cro-mo" just meant "cost more" back then - well, kinda does!)

So over the next couple of years I put the traveller through an extensive colour coded 'beautification' program :shock: (will scan old photos and post up when I can). Around the late 80's the benefits of a better quality machine were more obvious after putting in endless k's to work and around local streets, and after speaking to the LBS at the time he sold me a "runout" Cro-Mo Ricardo frame and I built a new bike from scratch (and yes! it crost-more! :lol: ) That bike was built up with 1st gen 105 group on Araya 700c rims.

Well, now I knew what I'd been missing out on! But there was just one thing that was still missing..... it wasn't a Repco. By this time cars, jobs, dirtbikes cigarettes and going out were the norm, and I can't remember how long after I built the Ricardo up that I actually sold it off. But one thing I do remember, I wanted a repco with the same smoothness and refinement of the Ricardo, I wanted a Eurosport Tri-A with 105 or at least a Victory Tri-A with 'whatever they decided to put on it this year' group ! But with life's changes the bike passion faded away... (not totally away, moreso a small pilot light in the background)

Fast forward nearly 25 years and finding a very good example of a Concorde on the HR and the Repco thing is back :D It's going to take me a while to get back into shape to put in the miles but I've been hunting down and saving some of the bikes I've never had!

current stable is: 2x 1990ish Victory Tri-As (same paint - miami vice decals) given one to my daughter to ride with me
1x 1988 Victory Tri-A
1x 1984-85ish Superlite (parts bike)
1x 1995ish Apollo Concorde
Photos have been taken and I will upload when posts allow. Bikes have come from the bay and a couple of hard rubbish rescues too.

Will find that nice 105 equipped Eurosport Tri-A one day.....

cheers Andrew

Crowz

Postby Crowz » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:09 am

repcollector wrote:
Will find that nice 105 equipped Eurosport Tri-A one day.....

cheers Andrew
Andrew, Where do you live? I might sell my Euro.