Christmas Road Alert.

elantra

Christmas Road Alert.

Postby elantra » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:34 am

It's that time of year again, when the usual rules of road behaviour seem to be diluted by silliness.

For example, there are obviously too many sets of traffic lights on Milton Road for one driver.
It went red well before he got to it.
But at least he had the presence of mind to switch to the outside lane as he did it.
Fortunately the driver of the intersecting car had the presence to see what was happening and did not move far when he/she saw what was coming.
As he or she got the green light, 40 tons of concrete and steel went sailing past the front of the car at 70 km/hr :shock:

Now for a much less dangerous one.
This time turning onto Milton Road, the car in the right lane tries to go straight ahead, only problem is that is a right turn only lane and there is a car turning right from the left lane, which is allowed.
Interestingly, neither of these vehicles was displaying a P plate.

And that is only the tip of the iceberg, so extra care is required, especially if you are not stuck in a steel box at this time of year.

KonaCommuter

Re: Christmas Road Alert.

Postby KonaCommuter » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:17 am

I had more incidences yesterday riding to and from the LBS than I have in the last few months of daily commuting :shock:

I think I'll be taking extra extra care :|
2012 Oppy A4

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:23 am

It's not confined to qld. Motorists in nsw are sharing the Xmas spirit by switching their brains off and freedriving.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:50 am

I've had more than my share of incidents in the last few weeks. I hate this time of year! Bah Humbug and all that too :P

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:41 am

I watched a black commondore wagon accelerate UP a hill so that he could run the light changing from amber to red (it was red when he went through), not sure if it's worse at xmas, but from what I see daily, road rules don't apply before 6am, especially if you drive a ute.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:28 pm

Sure it wasn't a journo going jogging? :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:17 am

Mulger bill wrote:Sure it wasn't a journo going jogging? :wink:

Maybe. :lol:

Ah but that's the joy's of commuting, you see all types, tradies, truckies, business guys, soccer mum's, but the worst are young guys in ute's with 'P' plates, there mustn't be any road rules until you take your 'P' plates off your vehicle.

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:31 pm

After a week or so of relative calm, i have noticed brisbane traffic is slowly returning to infuriating levels of congestion.

On another note, BCC or Qld Transport seems to have altered traffic light timings a few months ago.
This was supposed to be beneficial for traffic flow, but i seriously doubt it.
You can fall asleep waiting for the lights to change to break onto Coro drive or Milton road. :(

And for Mr Police speed camera van on Stuartholme Rd this morning -you didnt wait for me to come back down from Coot-tha ?

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:05 pm

I came to a stop at the lights outside Virginia State School/Train station yesterday and waited for 2 mins for not a single car to come out of any of the side streets. I would have ran them but there was a cop car beside me with the passenger who kept looking left-right to see why nothing was happening. Not sure what happened these past few days but when I came back from the city the other day I noticed 1 massive traffic light missing from the centre island at an intersection, skid marks on the road leading directly to were the black/white signs at a roundabout was bent over, a broken glass plane that litted the road at Nundah before Christmas was still there yesterday, thick skid marks over a share bike logo with gutter damage and a bike path sign which is normally ~3m from the gutter was bent in half lying against a fence with fishtail skid marks on the road. Quality driving to say the least :lol:

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:12 pm

elantra wrote: On another note, BCC or Qld Transport seems to have altered traffic light timings a few months ago.
This was supposed to be beneficial for traffic flow, but i seriously doubt it.
You can fall asleep waiting for the lights to change to break onto Coro drive or Milton road. :(

And for Mr Police speed camera van on Stuartholme Rd this morning -you didnt wait for me to come back down from Coot-tha ?
Have you been caught at the lights outside Brookefield Nursery/Moggill Outbound? I feel as though the Milton/Moggill combo is some of the most poorly designed piece of road infrastructure Queensland can offer. Kenmore roundabout will be at a standstill at odd hours during the day, not to mention the merging. I have no issues leaving 4:30 in the morning to get to the city safely, but what concerns me is getting back home. We don't need any more ghost bikes.